• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Discussing Bazball approach in Test Cricket

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bazball might well come to pieces at the Basin tbh. It should continue working for the rest of this Pakistan tour (very funnily) and then maybe at the #ohsoflat Bay Oval. But any movement and... nah.

It is quite evidently not a long-term strategy, but there's still potential for some extra lolz. For example, scoring 506/4 (75) with four centuries on the first day of the first away test in the series. Decent, could be better. Need Jonny back.

Also yes to test cricket again, it's been a long time it feels.
I mean we just had an English summer of this approach so…

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Were the first innings reckless though? From memory it's was just poor batting (standard fair for this Eng side really) the big hitting came out in the second innings chases where they had to score at those rates. Could be wrong on that though.

anthonyalba

Cricket Spectator
ive always thought bazball was nonsense but 500 on day one?
it was definitely interesting.
Maybe theres a place for bazball afterall.
Pakistan

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I still despise this term "bazball" and I think too much is being made of it being T20 cricket over 5 days.

Imo, it's just a mindset of trying to win every test and that tests can be won from positions that were previously considered impossible.

This current test example.....you know it's a road at the start and there is going to be a **** ton of runs scored on it. You give yourself the best chance of a win on a wicket like that by scoring your runs as quickly as possible with the knowledge that your opponent will score plenty but won't be able to match the rate, so your creating time in the test.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Stokes got slaughtered several times in the match threads for slogging from ball one and getting out cheaply in the first innings during the summer.

anthonyalba

Cricket Spectator
I still despise this term "bazball" and I think too much is being made of it being T20 cricket over 5 days.

Imo, it's just a mindset of trying to win every test and that tests can be won from positions that were previously considered impossible.

This current test example.....you know it's a road at the start and there is going to be a **** ton of runs scored on it. You give yourself the best chance of a win on a wicket like that by scoring your runs as quickly as possible with the knowledge that your opponent will score plenty but won't be able to match the rate, so your creating time in the test.
but which impossible test did it work in?
Sure england went on a downturn before bairstow came to the crease.
But theyd just lost a wicket.
Thats hows cricket works.

He batted nicely and they won.
It happens all the time.
Pretty sure he nor stokes invented anything new.

Recovering from a dangerous position is hardly winning from an impossible position.

Gilchrist's first test when he and langer had that huge partnership was a far greater achievement than bairstow's
And i dont recall anyone claiming theyd reinvented the wheel or it was amazin new cricket philosophy.

Bazball is a total **** IMO

anthonyalba

Cricket Spectator
actually now i think on it, gilchrist did change cricket.
Noone named the process but every other team picked wicket keepers who were talented aggressive batters after he came on the scene.

Id like to start a thread on keepers but there's no way to start threads apparently.
So i'll continue here.

Australia is ignoring aggressive batting keepers who can regularly score centuries in favour of ian healey types like alex carey- that reverse sweeping idiot.
How he is selected before wade or mcdermott is beyond my comprehension.
He certainly isnt a better keeper than either of them and anyone who plays the reverse sweep is an imbecile.
idiotic shot.

Gilchrist never played one. He said it was better to tonk it over mid wicket
(because he has an IQ higher than a potato)

naturally cricket australia ignores gilchrist's opinion and encourages more reverse sweeping by selecting that monumental halfwit glenn maxwell, idiot alex carey etc.
Despite the fact they keep getting out playing it
(that's a seperate thread idve started if it was possible)

Last edited:

anthonyalba

Cricket Spectator
im not a misogynist or a homophobe (which was the charge from memory) but whatevers.
i dont hate women i love them and who on earth fears homosexuals?
rest assured ill obey the rules as long as im here
(like i did the first time btw)

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach

this is the correct take.

i believe that @Line and Length said something quite similar in the match thread which was equally correct

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Isn't it just 'intent' by another name?
It is so much more though. Mere mealymouthed "intent" doesn't liberate previous goners like Crawley and Pope to this extent. I think the missive from McCullum seems to be, you guys have been picked to play cricket the way *I* want it to be played, so I'll give you all the rope you need to hang yourself as long as you toe my line. That McCullum's way of playing the game appeals to the reptile brain of anyone who's ever picked up a cricket bat obviously only helps, as opposed to some stodgy boring bastard like Greg Chappell or Dravid.

Shady Slim

International Coach
It is so much more though. Mere mealymouthed "intent" doesn't liberate previous goners like Crawley and Pope to this extent. I think the missive from McCullum seems to be, you guys have been picked to play cricket the way *I* want it to be played, so I'll give you all the rope you need to hang yourself as long as you toe my line. That McCullum's way of playing the game appeals to the reptile brain of anyone who's ever picked up a cricket bat obviously only helps, as opposed to some stodgy boring bastard like Greg Chappell or Dravid.
let us not pretend that crawley suddenly doesn't suck because he made runs on rawalpindi arterial

Sunil1z

International Debutant
If Bazball succeeds , will that mean end of players like Purara, Dravid, Steve Waugh , Chanderpaul, Border ?