• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dimuth Karunarathne vs Dean Elgar

Better test batsman?

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Both good but I feel Elgar is better. No real reason and not gonna argue that Dimuth is not, as he is a very good opener too.

Chubb

International Regular
Have a lot of respect for them both but I would take Karunaratne, I think his technique is better (though haven't seen him bat for several years).

Shady Slim

International Coach
karunaratne probably the second best opener of the ten’s behind cook for my money but i’m open to being convinced that it’s elgar or tommy lath, but off the top of my head karunaratne…!

Johan

U19 12th Man
Elgar averages 29.7 away from home ( 28 without zimbabwe ) , Karunaratne 33 ( 31 without zimbabwe , 20s average in Big 3 and SA ) , I'll rate Elgar a bit higher due to his home conditions.

Xuhaib

International Coach
This is hard very hard I will give it Elgar by a thinnest of margins as he comes to the party slightly more then Dimuth on crunch times.

Aritro

International Regular
I'd trust Elgar to be nuggety when things get difficult. Is Dimuth capable of the same? I haven't watched much of Sri Lanka til 2022, but his late career ascent seems to have been driven by an inordinate number of runs against my mob. The only other SL series I've watched were the Aus and Pak series in 2022 and three of the four decks they played on were so flat it's hard to assess whether he's potentially nuggety.