• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did the Barmy Army Trumpeter cost England the game?

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
Sorry, I've probably mentioned this on about 12 threads now (or at least 2 anyway).

I think the Barmy Army trumpeter has been absolutely brilliant. Highly entertaining, and to my untrained ears technically very competent.

However. Yesterday, with 7 runs left to win, as Southee approached the crease, he suddenly started belting out the theme from the 1980s darts themed British quiz show Bullseye.

I thought, "that's going to put Foakes right off". And about 5 seconds later he was out.

I think the trumpeter may have had a little drink. And invaluable as he is to the England tour, I think he cost England the game.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry, I've probably mentioned this on about 12 threads now (or at least 2 anyway).

I think the Barmy Army trumpeter has been absolutely brilliant. Highly entertaining, and to my untrained ears technically very competent.

However. Yesterday, with 7 runs left to win, as Southee approached the crease, he suddenly started belting out the theme from the 1980s darts themed British quiz show Bullseye.

I thought, "that's going to put Foakes right off". And about 5 seconds later he was out.

I think the trumpeter was drunk. And invaluable as he is to the England tour, I think he cost England the game.
wah wah

If a batsman is getting put off by any crowd noise they deserve to lose their wicket.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indeed. Few things more annoying than that spud when you’re in the crowd at the game.

But enforcing the follow on is what did it

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Him getting banned from the Gabba that one year was actually a move to keep the cricket competitive.

Burgey

Imagine paying $160 a ticket and having some **** blowing a bugle in your ear all day.

the big bambino

International Captain
Archie MacLaren complained he lost his wicket once when a fly got in his eye. England's tradition for making excuses is long and continuing.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Imagine paying $160 a ticket and having some **** blowing a bugle in your ear all day.
This sentence could have ended five words in.

$30 to get me into the Mount for a day night Test. $0 to get into one of the greatest days play in Test history at the most magnificent ground in the world.

If you're paying $160, you have a brain injury and therefore a bugle should not be of any issue.

Burgey

The cheapest ticket at a test match here is around $80 bucks and that's to sit uncovered in the baking sun. If you want to be in a stand you're looking at well over a ton a pop. And they get decent crowds to them because the sport is still reasonably popular here.

Molehill

International Captain
I really don't think you should've let this cat out of the bag before the Ashes. It seems all English batsmen are susceptible to 1980's gameshow theme tunes. Can already assume Cummins and co are currently learning how to whistle Blankety Blank, Family Fortunes and The Price is Right!!

They'll be looking at the urn thinking "look at what you could've won"!!

the big bambino

International Captain
I really don't think you should've let this cat out of the bag before the Ashes. It seems all English batsmen are susceptible to 1980's gameshow theme tunes. Can already assume Cummins and co are currently learning how to whistle Blankety Blank, Family Fortunes and The Price is Right!!

They'll be looking at the urn thinking "look at what you could've won"!!
Good times.