• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni vs Akmal

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhoni vs Akmal

1) Who's better as a batsman?

2) Who's better as a glovesman?

3) Who has a brighter future?

4) Who do you like better?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Akmal had a shocker against England this Summer (or winter depending on where you come from), with the bat and the ball. 1 fifty in 5 tests, and so many drops I lost count, isn't the making of a world class keeper.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Turbinator said:
Dhoni vs Akmal

1) Who's better as a batsman?

2) Who's better as a glovesman?

3) Who has a brighter future?

4) Who do you like better?
1) Akmal is a better batsman technically, IMO.

2) Akmal (until before the England series), would be interesting to watch Dhoni keep in England.

3) Both about the same I'd say.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
PhoenixFire said:
Akmal had a shocker against England this Summer (or winter depending on where you come from), with the bat and the ball. 1 fifty in 5 tests, and so many drops I lost count, isn't the making of a world class keeper.
Like I said, I'd like to see Dhoni keep in England before I decide which one is better with the gloves.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
What's the difference? A lot is made of the 'seaming' conditions in England, but this summer the tracks were the flattest I've seen in a long while.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I forgot to state my thoughts...

1) Akmal in tests, Dhoni in ODIs

2) Till this English tour I would've said Akmal, but now I say Dhoni (since he has improved a lot)

3) Dhoni by far

4) Dhoni because I am Indian.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
PhoenixFire said:
What's the difference? A lot is made of the 'seaming' conditions in England, but this summer the tracks were the flattest I've seen in a long while.
Big difference. The ball goes straight into the hands of the keeper in the subcontinent. Where as the ball is still moving when it goes past the batsman in England. Akmal is a professional so he should've adapted to it. This is why I wanna see Dhoni in these conditions before I make up my mind about who's better.

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
simply put, akmal seemingly has more talent, and is a better technical batsmen then dhoni. i mean dhoni just dhontknow. ya know? lol. im awful.

but to me, the smaller the ego, the better the batsmen.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Since the Aus tour Akmal keeping was declining and this summer's the wheels just came off completley, the batting suffererd due to constant shuffling of his position and low confidence due to the keeping errors.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Akmal's been in bad form with the gloves recently, but that doesn't change the fact that hes been a good glovesman for Pakistan for the last few years. Hes also more athletic behind the stumps than Dhoni, and has the potential to be lightyears ahead of him in that regard, whereas Dhoni will probably never be anything better than a pretty good wicketkeeper.

With that said, Akmal's form in England was most worrying. A county stint would probably be a good way to sort that out though. When it comes to the bat, Akmal has been better in Tests, Dhoni has been much better in ODIs.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dhoni is a terrible keeper, and Akmal is easily better, out of form or not. As a batsman I'd go Dhoni marginally though.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've only seen Akmal on the tour of England in which he performed very poorly with the bat and with the gloves, but from what I've heard he is usually a pretty solid player for Pakstan so I would'nt read too much into it. Just a blip on the radar so to speak.

What I've heard of Dhoni is that he is getting better with the gloves after being very dodgy at the start of his international career, however his batting can occasionally be pretty stupid. All in all, I'd be tempted to say that Akmal has a brighter future.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Akmal > Dhoni with the gloves.

Akmal's best Test innings is also better than any Dhoni has produced to date.

I'd back Akmal to regain his 'keeping form and I don't expect Dhoni to ever improve to the point where he exceed Akmal with the gloves.

FRAZ

International Captain
Dhoni>>Akmal (Slogging)
Akmal=Dhoni (Test Batting)
Akmal>Dhoni (pressure situations)
Dhoni>>>Akmal (Flat wicket slogging)
Akmal>>Dhoni (ODI keeping)
Akmal>Dhoni (Test keeping)
Akmal>Dhoni (Temperament)
Dhoni>>>Akmal (Media)
Dhoni>>Akmal (best ODI innings)
Akmal>Dhoni (Best test innings)
Dhoni>>Akmal (overall ODI batting potential)
Akmal=Dhoni (Value wise)
Dhoni=Akmal (future)
Dhoni 1/2>>><<<Akmal *(Fraz)

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Akmal's knock in the third test vs. India shows that he's clearly a better test batsman than Dhoni.

Dhoni's obviously better in ODIs, though Akmal is better than what's he previously shown.

With the gloves its Akmal, even if he was really crap in England. Poor form and low confidence doesn't mean you're no good, it means just that, poor form and low confidence. Particularly when its only over a series (though Akmal's keeping had been showing signs of decline for a while, but I still reckon he's got it in him to be awesome).

Dhoni's the more talented batsman overall though. Anyone that can play the shots he plays within the 'V' is undeniably talented. And contrary to what many believe, he's played some great pressure knocks as well. He just mixes the pressure knocks with brain explositions which is unfortunate.