• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dev League Suggestions

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Jamee999 said:
What will the Universities be called?
Off Topic University
The SJS academy of cricket

:p :ph34r: :mellow: :huh: :ph34r: :blowup:

EDIT: Please don't seriously consider either of these (just incase...)

Last edited:

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Like I said, I think people are forgetting what the point of Dev Cricket is
Exactly,
All these ideas are great.. but it has to be reviewed by the board.. imo im not in favour of a big change except for the addition of a new team.. We cant go on complicating things further and lose the basics of the purpose that Dev league was created for.. and it just a bit hard luck on the players who dont get a game because that is just how it is you know.. as people retire/leave places get filled etc.. We dont want to lose the basic feel so even the person that joins tomorrow knows exactly what is going on without much to explain.

cricketboy29

International Regular
i just checked, and nearly all of the teams have 17 players each, couldn't we just take two or three players from each side, who are not getting picked, and make a new team?. Along with a smattering of experienced people?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Regarding the university teams, I can see that working, but it'd have to be 2 teams. Consider this:

5 Teams.
Squads of 16.
11 play per Dev Game.
5 remain from each team for a total of 25 players.
Accounting for injury and callups, I don't expect cutting the 25 to 22 for each friendly will be a problem, and players will be rotated to suit regardless. If necessary, low level non-CW players will be drafted in, or retired CW players.
With the 22 extra players you could have one team and players get roated so you play a game every second day atleast. Having only one team would allow this side to play the Dev Teams each week. If you had two teams wouldn't that mean that the Uni sides play each other only or are there going to be youth sides from other countires joining them for a comp.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cricketboy29 said:
i just checked, and nearly all of the teams have 17 players each, couldn't we just take two or three players from each side, who are not getting picked, and make a new team?. Along with a smattering of experienced people?
It's not as easy as that though.

In each of those teams are about 5 centrally contracted players - who are liable be called up for Internationals.

Take them away and a squad is struggling!

Loony BoB

International Captain
The addition of another team
I support this, so long as the final point in this post is taken into account.

Loan system
I have no major problems with this provided the sims can handle the confusion of names/teams. Can you take a player from one team and move it to another team the next game? I'm not sure but it sounds very complicated when you bring in the technical side of things, knowing the limited capabilities of most sims.

Trading an option for a longer period
I don't really care, although it only seems to add to the controversy and "banter" (which I agree with Hakon in that it's tending to get a bit much lately) that goes on within the threads.

Overseas players
I don't think this is a good idea, personally, if the overseas players are of international standard. However...

Pool of overseas players to be brought in during injury/international duty crisis
I think that this is acceptable - but all the players to be added to the pool should be agreed on by all captains prior to the first games of the season being played.

University Side
I'd like to see a bit more info on how this is proposed... it seems a bit messy if it's going to be a part of the dev league in any way. If it's for touring sides, then I don't mind at all.

Stricter rules on signups
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, as I think it's the biggest concern of all. I point to the thread I made last season regarding this and I really, really hope that the proposed system will indeed be put into place. The way people are signing up right now is getting to be a bit of a joke.

Experience system
I think players should be able to be given chances to improve their stats at the end of each ACTIVE season, or each second season. This could be considered to be a benefit of training and practice, of which we currently seem to have nothing set up for. This would help every player improve his abilities. I think it's a bit unfair to say that our players should not improve over time given that they SHOULD be training on a regular basis with their team, and that SHOULD improve their stastics in some way or another.

Second Division
I don't like this idea. It pushes people further away from making a name for themselves in order to get to the international side.

International First Class / List-A Knockout Tournament
I think this is a good idea, actually, if we do it with the top team taking on top teams from around the world. We'd only really need to sim the games that the winning team is involved with, anyway, right?

Injury Sim
I think the injury sim should have the longer injuries removed. I think some members are put off by just getting started in a season and then being told that they won't be playing a game in months. Realism is fine and all, but you have to keep in mind that we're trying to get more members actively posting and getting involved/interested in the Dev League, and I think having them get injured for months on end is really, really offputting.

Salary system
I love the idea, I just don't think we're quite ready for this.

Rookie Team
I think it's better that no team has more than 50% rookies. I also think it's an awful idea to put more rookies into one side than the rest, as it seems a bit unfair... so either all rookies should be placed in said team or it should be an even spread.

But most importantly, we should check how many active players we currently have
It's no use picking out teams based on the number of players we have right now as I'm sure a few of them will be deemed inactive before the start of the ninth season. If the international/overseas players were to be used, then we could make up the numbers with them - but that's only if they were indeed to be used.

I may expand on some of the above later.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Loony BoB said:
University Side
I'd like to see a bit more info on how this is proposed... it seems a bit messy if it's going to be a part of the dev league in any way. If it's for touring sides, then I don't mind at all.
Okay.

If we have five sides of 16 players, say, that's gonna mean about 20 is out not playing. Those 20 would then go into a pool of University sides who would play the bye team IN FRIENDLY games (if there is no bye team, we could include Australia "A" or something). They would not count for the Dev League tables, as the University team would

a) not be ensured of playing every round (because of injuries and international call-ups)
b) be comprised of totally different players in each round, they're just a "scrapheap" of those players not selected.

There could be, in theory, any number of University teams, expanded as the sign-up rate goes up.

Another advantage is that captains can see how rookies perform in these games, and then take them up into the main XI. I remember from taking part in Red selection last year that bringing in the new man was a bit risky.

Oh, and I completely agree that there needs to be stricter rules on sign-ups. :)

PY

International Coach
Would these university games be counted as FC for average purposes?

Technically they shouldn't but with the sim, would it be a bit messy to have non-FC games in the mixer? I don't know much about how it's done so I can't comment for certain.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
PY said:
Would these university games be counted as FC for average purposes?

Technically they shouldn't but with the sim, would it be a bit messy to have non-FC games in the mixer? I don't know much about how it's done so I can't comment for certain.
I'd say they would be - after all, tour games and English university games are counted as FC for average purposes.

cricketboy29

International Regular
Samuel_Vimes said:
Okay.

If we have five sides of 16 players, say, that's gonna mean about 20 is out not playing. Those 20 would then go into a pool of University sides who would play the bye team IN FRIENDLY games (if there is no bye team, we could include Australia "A" or something). They would not count for the Dev League tables, as the University team would

a) not be ensured of playing every round (because of injuries and international call-ups)
b) be comprised of totally different players in each round, they're just a "scrapheap" of those players not selected.

There could be, in theory, any number of University teams, expanded as the sign-up rate goes up.

Another advantage is that captains can see how rookies perform in these games, and then take them up into the main XI. I remember from taking part in Red selection last year that bringing in the new man was a bit risky.

Oh, and I completely agree that there needs to be stricter rules on sign-ups. :)

Great idea, I like it, that way you can make sure everyone gets a game :),

new_age_ar

First Class Debutant
Things looking interesting hear, i guess i'll be playing for the Uni side next season. Maybe you could call it the University of Cricket :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Samuel_Vimes said:
Okay.

b) We can call it the "Scrapheap Challenge" and get Kryten involved...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There should be a thread at the start of the season where players confim that they are active for the season. Then after that is done we can worry about trades etc.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe at the start of the season players can put in training allocations and this shows their active. I read before that they are considering having training so this could be used to see if players are active. At the start of the season players players put down what areas they want to improve.

Let say you have 5 points (or whatever) and you can put a max of 3 points to a certain area. For example for a bowler like myself i would put down 3 for bowling, 2 for fielding and 0 for batting.

This can be done three times during the season, once two weeks prior to the start of season, again prior and during the 25 Smash and before the club cricket.

For international or central contract players they could get double the training, cus they get training with their club as well as during national camps. So their 5 points would be worth 10 points. Also for those guys that play for Australian State and English County sides their training points could be worth 10 points as well, cus their training is more professional.

This might allow captains to see who is active aswell give players a chance to improve more the longer they play. Hopefully this isn't too confusing to understand, sorry if it is.

PS: How about changing the 25 Smash to the International recognised 20Twenty format.

Last edited: