• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dean Elgar vs Tom Latham vs Dimuth Karunaratne

Dean Elgar vs Tom Latham vs Dimuth Karunaratne

• Total voters

Shady Slim

International Coach
to me this is the race for the second best opener of the tens behind cook… and i often jump between the three

a massive zebra

International Captain
Definitely not Latham who is a massive minnow basher and Karunaratne is better to watch than Elgar, so I vote for the Sri Lankan.

Last edited:

ashley bach

International Captain
Interesting little 3 way match-up. Going with Elgar for his warrior like toughness.
Not so pretty to watch but respect his grit.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Surely Dave Warner and Graeme Smith are well ahead of these guys, although admittedly Smith only played for about half the decade. Tamim Iqbal at a similar level also.
yeah i can't count smith given the time he played and re warner his constant failures in india and england (the tours that matter most for a touring oz team) are to me a huge minus

cc @GIMH it's not just joe root who this standard is applied to

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah i can't count smith given the time he played and re warner his constant failures in india and england (the tours that matter most for a touring oz team) are to me a huge minus

cc @GIMH it's not just joe root who this standard is applied to
This is typical CricketChat, rating consistent mediocrity over Warner who is ATG-level in more than half the games he plays

By all means Cook, Smith, Langer can reasonably be rated better than Warner for their better adaptability, but not these guys lol

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Elgar is a weird one. Does really well in SA, but struggles away from home.

Home av - 47.14 - in SA! (Helped by minnows but amazing)
Away av - 29.81

Opposite of Graeme Smith.

Latham is actually a quality player of spin but atrocious against Aus and England and Chris Martinesque against South Africa. Can score big doubles against poor pace attacks (esp in NZ) and does really well in the subcontinent.

Karunaratne is a bit of a home track bully, but I'd give him the nod. He has fewer obvious flaws.

If Azhar Ali had stayed opening instead of moving to 3 he would be easily the best. Quality player.