• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

De Grandhomme retires from international cricket

Kirkut

International Regular
First thing that comes to my mind whenever I read his name is Charles De Gaulle airport.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah Elliott sucked in Tests.
Wow, he really did. I didn't know he'd played five until I looked back on his profile. I was at his debut, wow he was out of his depth there. Wonder if he would have made a better fist of it around that 2015 time when he became a bonafide limited overs player.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The talent was always there. Unlike a lot of balanced allrounders his batting technique is actually very good (except against leg spin), even his defense. He was a touch player who happened to have stupid amounts of power, so anything that beat the infield was gone.
When he was coming though youth cricket in Zimbabwe he was regarded as a proper opening batsman talent. Noone cared much about his bowling (he didn't really develop that seriously until Auckland club cricket) and the schtick of him being super-aggressive really wasn't a reputation he had until he moved. People were just hoping he'd be a 40+ averaging top 4 batsman. I think he even batted 4 for Zimbabwe A once before he left.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wow, he really did. I didn't know he'd played five until I looked back on his profile. I was at his debut, wow he was out of his depth there. Wonder if he would have made a better fist of it around that 2015 time when he became a bonafide limited overs player.
He definitely relied a lot less on scoring zones behind square after his second coming in ODIs so he might not have been quite so bad if he had another crack at Tests, but Mitchell to me has always looked much more likely to be a Test bat.

thundaboult

International Debutant
In a test line up of cowardly nitty gritty bat at a SR of 35 tuk tuk accumulators, cdg was the one i looked most forward to watching bat ... simple, direct, savage. Entertaining asf. Loved his ODI 50's as well, came in important matches against big teams too. Either saved our blushes from a lolapse, or iced a chase with overs to spare. What he lacked in bowling speed, made up for with bat speed. I'll never forget his 10 overs in the rigged and scripted world cup final of 2019 too. CDG knew how to party man. Srs.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
I'll admire the fact he kept the mullet when even the Aussies ended the COVID era craze of terrible haircuts.

Binkley

U19 Captain
A really good player, and I will miss him. The comparison to Grant Elliott is a good one though. I don’t think de Grandhomme would have done nearly as well if he wasn’t playing in a New Zealand team with an ATG top order.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I don’t think de Grandhomme would have done nearly as well if he wasn’t playing in a New Zealand team with an ATG top order.
Also having wicketkeepers who were so reliable batting 6 (Watling and now Blundell) gave him a free reign also. Watling could blunt an attack then CDG could smash it.