• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Gower vs Virender Sehwag

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
He averages 45 with only 5500 runs . Why do you rate him so highly?
Or you absolutely don’t rate ability to play spin for Sehwag/Hayden/Cook or challenge of being opener .
Tbf he has said that he rates ability to play pace as far more important than ability to play spin. He rates Gooch as a better batsman than Younis Khan so he is consistent.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Crowe gets rated higher than his average here because of his 10 year peak where he averaged like 53 I think
Despite 10 years peak he only scored 5500 runs and ended with 45 averaging.
Even Sehwag who was a failure in swinging conditions ended with average of 49 with 3000 more runs .

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Even Sehwag who was a failure in swinging conditions ended with average of 49 with 3000 more runs .
Yes I think Sehwag is underrated. Being good in swinging conditions is impressive but it isn’t that important.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
You have to account for the fact that he played in the most difficult era almost solely.... Crowe>Hayden is really a no brainer from me.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Yeah because it comes in more quantity and quality. But I don't disregard ability to play spin and ability to set games up consistently.
Yea I think using it to split two players who have similar output is cool. Ponting/Sangakkara > Younis.

I can’t agree with Gooch > Younis though although I am a fan of Gooch

Sunil1z

International Regular
You have to account for the fact that he played in the most difficult era almost solely.... Crowe>Hayden is really a no brainer from me.
I disagree massively. I can’t rate a guy averaging 45 with only 5500 runs over Hayden .

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I disagree massively. I can’t rate a guy averaging 45 with only 5500 runs over Hayden .
Then let's agree to disagree then. I think you are being too tough on Crowe here. You surely rate Viv over Sutcliffe despite a massive 10 runs difference....

Sunil1z

International Regular
Then let's agree to disagree then. I think you are being too tough on Crowe here. You surely rate Viv over Sutcliffe despite a massive 10 runs difference....
Because Viv was a modern batsmen who played in every country and dominated them .
Whereas both Crowe and Hayden are modern batsmen.