• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daft or highly unlikely ideas you want to see in a one off test

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Giving teams the ability to substitute one/two/three players each once the second innings is complete would be very interesting tactically. The idea works so well with the long nature of a test match and would add heaps to the story of each test.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1. Multi-ball. All the same rules except two bowlers bowl at once, from either end. Run out can happen either either ball for either batsman. All completed runs just count as one as normal, but boundaries can be scored by both. Exception to the run out rule is if one batsman gets out. He can still run for his partner's shot, but has to leave the field of play once done.

2. Ball is fitted with a device that causes it to burst into flames at a predetermined but random time, ie different with each ball. Any player who refused to play once the ball is on fire will see the opposition awarded 50 runs. New ball is provided once the ball burns out.

3. Each batsman is allowed to pick one method of dismissal that doesn't apply to them at the beginning of an innings but it can't be run out (but can be stumped).

4. One hand and the whole team is out

5. Batsmen can't get out when playing a bad shot if they apologise

6. Weapons match. As well as the two batsmen, there's a third man who has possession of a foreign object of his choosing which he is allowed to chase fielders with throughout the innings

7. Double wicket match. Two wickets on the field. Both sides bat at the same time with nine fielders each. As soon as you're out you switch place with the next fielder in. To avoid confusion, one team bats with a white ball.

8. Ball-less match. The players pretend to have a ball but actually don't. The umpire has to guess where the ball would have pitched, whether he batsman would have hit it, whether the fielder would have caught it, etc.

9. Motorbike cricket. Same rules as normal except all players - bat, bowl, field - are on motorbikes. Played on normal bicycles at junior levels.

10. Batsmen use golf clubs instead of cricket bats.

11. Rugby ball replaces cricket ball

12. Ladder match. In order to take a wicket, you must retrieve the bails from the ceiling (only played indoors)

13. I quit match. Match goes on until one captain says I quit
Multi-ball sounds very dangerous. You might smash the ball into the bowler coming in from the end you're batting in his follow through.

Other than that it's a very practical list.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like the each batsman chooses a method of dismissal he can't be given out on

i would def choose caught

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd choose lbw and pad up to everything I didn't want to hit instead of defending.

i trust myself to not get bowled or lbw(been given once in 15 years lol)... my issue is just forcing **** shots and refusing to hit the ball on the ground

Howe_zat

Audio File
1. Multi-ball. All the same rules except two bowlers bowl at once, from either end. Run out can happen either either ball for either batsman. All completed runs just count as one as normal, but boundaries can be scored by both. Exception to the run out rule is if one batsman gets out. He can still run for his partner's shot, but has to leave the field of play once done.

2. Ball is fitted with a device that causes it to burst into flames at a predetermined but random time, ie different with each ball. Any player who refused to play once the ball is on fire will see the opposition awarded 50 runs. New ball is provided once the ball burns out.

3. Each batsman is allowed to pick one method of dismissal that doesn't apply to them at the beginning of an innings but it can't be run out (but can be stumped).

4. One hand and the whole team is out

5. Batsmen can't get out when playing a bad shot if they apologise

6. Weapons match. As well as the two batsmen, there's a third man who has possession of a foreign object of his choosing which he is allowed to chase fielders with throughout the innings

7. Double wicket match. Two wickets on the field. Both sides bat at the same time with nine fielders each. As soon as you're out you switch place with the next fielder in. To avoid confusion, one team bats with a white ball.

8. Ball-less match. The players pretend to have a ball but actually don't. The umpire has to guess where the ball would have pitched, whether he batsman would have hit it, whether the fielder would have caught it, etc.

9. Motorbike cricket. Same rules as normal except all players - bat, bowl, field - are on motorbikes. Played on normal bicycles at junior levels.

10. Batsmen use golf clubs instead of cricket bats.

11. Rugby ball replaces cricket ball

12. Ladder match. In order to take a wicket, you must retrieve the bails from the ceiling (only played indoors)

13. I quit match. Match goes on until one captain says I quit
i'm in tears

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wouldn't it be easier just to choose bowled then? Save yourself the sore legs and take guard a foot outside leg stump.
I thought of this first, but I reckon I'd edge the ball a lot more if I was playing away from the body like that.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'd have to choose bowled immunity due to the extremely low chance of hitting it at any point. I would win due to the opposition becoming tired of replacing the bails onto the stumps.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Play the match in a large shallow swimming pool using a waboba (ball that bounces on water)

Seems like a way better idea than waboba lacrosse

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
A different take on one of GIMH's ideas: both teams playing at once but in a less dangerous way.

One batsman from each team bats, and one bowler from each team bowls from one end. there are fielders from each team on the field, with a neutral wicketkeeper, or wicketkeepers swap depending on who is batting. So the opposing batsmen have to play together, and you can bowl to your own team member depending who's on strike. Umpires would have to keep an eye on deliberate no-balls and wides (if there's too many from a bowler, they get sent off). Your own bowler could bowl you lollypops but bear in mind there are opposition fielders out there to catch you out (fielders can't obstruct each other). Running would be the most interesting part - you could turn down a run to try and deny the other player runs but that in turn means you can't get on strike to score runs. Runs off your own bowler are worth half, though, so hogging strike to play your own guys isn't as worth it as it might seem. And if you get out to your own bowler, maybe you could be minus runs???

Lot of potential to this idea, especially if you bring it into a limited overs situation where you're competing totals in real time, like basketball, football etc, with only so much possession based on your skill and fortunes.