• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cyril Walters – A Lost Talent

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Interesting article... a couple of quibbles:
  • "the table of averages will tell you the answer is Jack Hobbs (56.94) and Herbert Sutcliffe (60.73), with a good deal of daylight between the next pair, Geoffrey Boycott (47.00) and Alistair Cook (45.35)" - you've somehow forgotten Len Hutton (56.67), and Dennis Amiss (46.30) is also above Cook. (Also, Boycott's average was 47.72).
  • "England’s victory target [in the Nottingham Test in 1934] was 380, but they never looked like saving the game" - the match ended at 6:20 on the final day, so they came within 10 minutes of saving it.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
  • "England’s victory target [in the Nottingham Test in 1934] was 380, but they never looked like saving the game" - the match ended at 6:20 on the final day, so they came within 10 minutes of saving it.
Related to that - something I've wondered...
Suppose that England had managed to hang on for draws at Lord's 1930 and Nottingham 1934, and had batted significantly better at Adelaide 1937 to win.
Then, without any change to Bradman's batting figures, England would have held the Ashes from 1926 until after WW2.
Would this have a significant effect on Bradman's reputation of "greatest of all time"? How about if he'd retired before Test cricket resumed in 1946? (His average at this point was 97.94 - not as iconic as 99.94, but still streets ahead of anyone else).

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting - something related I've always been curious about is what would have happened if there had been Ashes series in 1940/41 and 1942 - PEWS should sim them - I suspect others must have, but I'm confident he'd do a better job