• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of WicketKeeper-Batsmen (Tests)

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jayawardane's keeping was best at his era. So definietly yes. Averaged 30 with the bat, so a keeper who could bat. Moin's heroics mainly was in ODIs, but he was a good keeper. not as good as Latif though.
I wasn't disputing their keeping at all, just saying they weren't quite in the same league as batsmen as Gilchrist, de Kock, Dhoni etc.

271 & 16/166

School Boy/Girl Captain
As usual Ian Healy is ignored completely when we come to polls, better keeper than all, bar Knott, made vital 100s

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I wasn't disputing their keeping at all, just saying they weren't quite in the same league as batsmen as Gilchrist, de Kock, Dhoni etc.
Koch and Dhoni are not elite with keeping abilities. Healy, Knott, Jayawardene, Latif, Saha, Marsh, Dujon are the pure top echelon keepers who were able to useful with the bat. Gilly is probably in between, very good with the gloves, ATG with the bat.

TheJediBrah

Koch and Dhoni are not elite with keeping abilities. Healy, Knott, Jayawardene, Latif, Saha, Marsh, Dujon are the pure top echelon keepers who were able to useful with the bat. Gilly is probably in between, very good with the gloves, ATG with the bat.
That has nothing to do with what I said, but yeah ok

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Kiran More was another, superb with the gloves, useful with the bat.
And Ian Smith, Adam Parore, and Brendon McCullum. NZ has had a good run with keepers. At the moment Blundell is a bit sloppy with his foot movement and gloves, but he can improve.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Farokh Engineer was a better keeper than many of those mentioned so far, and averaged over 30 with the bat with a couple of centuries and multiple 50’s.
I agree. Will vote for him next after Watling. Gilchrist, Knott, Watling, Engineer is a decent top 4.

Post that, there are Dujon, Healy, Rod Marsh, Sanga, Flower, Boucher, Dhoni, De Kock, Mccullum, Stewart, Latif, Jacobs in no specific order.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
As usual Ian Healy is ignored completely when we come to polls, better keeper than all, bar Knott, made vital 100s
Yeah, Heals is right up there - top five for me I reckon, I'll be voting for him very soon.

Farokh Engineer was a better keeper than many of those mentioned so far, and averaged over 30 with the bat with a couple of centuries and multiple 50’s.
I assume you saw a bit of Engineer? I know there are a few people here who saw him and rate him very highly - I had always thought it was commonly accepted that Kirmani was the greatest Indian gloveman, but it seems that those who saw Engineer in action don't necessarily agree.

OverratedSanity

Yeah, Heals is right up there - top five for me I reckon, I'll be voting for him very soon.
I assume you saw a bit of Engineer? I know there are a few people here who saw him and rate him very highly - I had always thought it was commonly accepted that Kirmani was the greatest Indian gloveman, but it seems that those who saw Engineer in action don't necessarily agree.
My dad has always been a bit of a Kirmani hater. Thinks he was decent but his glovework was massively overrated and sloppy.

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
Les ames.His keeping is way underrated+being undoubtedly GOAT wk batsman till gilchrist.
Wisden obituary
Leslie Ethelbert George Ames, CBE, who died suddenly at his home in Canterbury on February 26, 1990, aged 84, was without a doubt the greatest wicketkeeper-batsman the game has so far produced; and yet, at the time he was playing, it used to be said there were better wicketkeepers than Ames, and that he was in the England team because of his batting. If this was so, would Jardine, for example, have preferred him to Duckworth in Australia in 1932-33? Surely not. When fully fit, Ames was England's first-choice wicketkeeper from 1931 to 1939,

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I saw quite a lot of Engineer on two tours of England and he played for Lancashire at a time when they were very successful and on TV a lot due to their One-Day success. Kirmani I can barely remember seeing at all. He wasn't on the 79 tour of England and in those days we didn't see overseas cricket on TV at all. I would have seen Kirmani on the 82 tour, but that's all. If people who saw more of him say he was the best I wouldn't be able to dispute it.

gftw

U19 12th Man
Watling - 9
Haddin - 1
Dhoni - 1
Ames - 6
Cameron - 1
Sanga - 1

The List
1. Adam Gilchrist
2. Alan Knott
3. BJ Watling

The vote for the #4 test wicketkeeper-batsmen of all-time begins now.