• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Draft League - The Reserves

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reckon Hammond would be a fine ODI player. In my head he's a bit like Kallis but more aggressive in general.

Valer

First Class Debutant
:laugh:

We have a winner
Okay. As a test I took the top 6 of the current aus test line up and compared ODI vs Test SR. The lowest test strike rates had the best ODI strike rates. (Watson, Hussey).

Test SR is a poor predictor of ODI strike rate, even moreso when a play puts away shots he could obviously play.

(Quotes from Wisden via Cricinfo)
"As a young man he was a dashing strokemaker; willing to tilt at all the bowlers of the world. He remained superbly stylish, his cover-driving, from front foot or back, utterly memorable. In those early days he cut, glanced, hooked and lofted the ball quite fearlessly. "

"Instinctively basically correct, he was sound in defence, but never defensively-minded."

"Even in his cricketing middle age, his footwork flowed like that of a young man. He would be down the pitch - two, three or four yards - with unhurried ease and, as he reached the length he wanted, the bat moved with languid certainty through the ball, which flew, with that savage force which was the measure of his hitting, to the place he wished."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/62612.html

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hammond was a very powerful batsman, he'd be a good ODI player.

My pick is- Ray Lindwall

Opening bowler and lower order batsman.

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
I'll go down a slightly different tack and take two players who already have plenty of domestic one day experience. I'll take Graeme Pollock and Barry Richards as my first two picks

Charter 77 so Far

Barry Richards
Graeme Pollock

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'll go down a slightly different tack and take two players who already have plenty of domestic one day experience. I'll take Graeme Pollock and Barry Richards as my first two picks

Charter 77 so Far

Barry Richards
Graeme Pollock
Richards is probably the best opening batting pick you can get.

Red

Clyde Walcott. Beast of a batsman and decent wicketkeeper as well. I'll use the modern ODI tactic of opening with the keeper and use his aggression at the top of the order.

At his peak, like Viv Richards later, he was one of those rare power-packed batsmen to whom bowlers preferred not to bowl on a long afternoon ---cricinfo
Abbot's ODI, but not ODI XI

1. Clyde Walcott (wk)
8. Ray Lindwall

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Following Michael's lead:

Mike Procter

Team so far:
  1. -
  2. -
  3. Keith Miller (1)
  4. -
  5. -
  6. -
  7. Mike Procter (2)
  8. -
  9. -
  10. -
  11. -

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I like the freedom the ODI format gives you to play around with batting orders. I'd be pretty tempted to bat Procter a lot higher, depending on who I draft.

EDIT: Could be a useful Watson-style opener, IMO.

Last edited:

Valer

First Class Debutant
Bill O'Riley.

That extra few km/hr / flater trajectories are amazing in ODIs (He's also the best valid spinner (IMO)).

Eds

International Debutant
Enjoying reading this thread, particularly the explanations behind the picks. Good work.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Bill O'Riley.

That extra few km/hr / flater trajectories are amazing in ODIs (He's also the best valid spinner (IMO)).
Very nice pick. Always thought that having the ability to turn the ball both ways is one of the crucial aspects in becoming an ODI spinner, hence why Murali & Saqlain are generally regarded as better than Warne.

Would have been my spinner, had he lasted.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Very nice pick. Always thought that having the ability to turn the ball both ways is one of the crucial aspects in becoming an ODI spinner, hence why Murali & Saqlain are generally regarded as better than Warne.

Would have been my spinner, had he lasted.
I was tempted to first pick him. I think my other pick (Hammond) would have lasted so it wouldn't have mattered.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As I'm less creative with my picks and just pick the best players available, Jack Hobbs.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Round One:
morgieb - Sydney Barnes
Valer - Walter Hammond
rvd619323 - Keith Miller
Monk - Ray Lindwall
Michael7777777 - Barry Richards

Round Two:
Michael7777777 - Graeme Pollock
Monk - Clyde Walcott
rvd619323 - Mike Procter
Valer - Bill O'Reilly
morgieb - Jack Hobbs
Round Three:
Michael7777777 - Clarrie Grimmett
Monk - Alan Davidson
morgieb - Hedley Verity
Valer - Fred Trueman
rvd619323 - Charlie Macartney

Round Four:
rvd619323 - Harold Larwood
Valer
morgieb
Monk
Michael7777777

Round Five:
Monk
Michael7777777
rvd619323
morgieb
Valer

Round Six:
Valer
morgieb
rvd619323
Michael7777777
Monk

Last edited:

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Okay then I'll go with the best available oneday spinner in my opinion in the form of the foxy miserly Clarrie Grimmett. Hell with his accuracy, subtle variety and street smarts he might even be used as a death bowler depending on the remaining bowlers I get in this draft

Charter 77 So Far

Barry Richards
Graeme Pollock
Clarrie Grimmett

Red

Alan Davidson. Perfect bowler for the OD format. Economical and being a left armer adds nice variety. More than handy lower order bat as well.

Abbot's ODI, but not ODI XI

1. Clyde Walcott (wk)
8. Ray Lindwall
9. Alan Davidson