• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW decides the greatest ODI batsman ever (submit your own top 20 list)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think you can just take those 41 names then. It will be almost the same set of people who will vote as well, so the 20 will be coming from these 41 only.
I'll see how many names have gotten 2+ votes after 30 lists. Might end up being a top 40 countdown. Honestly the more lists the more comprehensive this whole thing is so I'm gonna keep this open for a couple more weeks

Flem274*

123/5
this wont be comprehensive since i cbf splitting hairs over players, but it will correct some of the more egregious errors commited by people who sort by odi average or instagram followers.

viv
ponting
tendulkar
dhoni
bevan
ab de villiers
ross the boss taylor
kane
root
gilchrist
buttler
crowe
aravinda
sanath
grant elliott
kphli
lara
smith
anwar
sangakkara

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
this wont be comprehensive since i cbf splitting hairs over players, but it will correct some of the more egregious errors commited by people who sort by odi average or instagram followers.

viv
ponting
tendulkar
dhoni
bevan
ab de villiers
ross the boss taylor
kane
root
gilchrist
buttler
crowe
aravinda
sanath
grant elliott
kphli
lara
smith
rohit
sangakkara
You're a good man for sorting out the errors but still needs more Anwar.

SillyCowCorner1

My list:

1. Viv
2. Gilly
3. Ponting
4. Upul Tharanga
5. Kumar Sangakkara
6. Mahela Jayawardene
7. Nathan Astle
8. Imran Khan
9. Herschelle Gibbs
10. Stephen Fleming
11. Sourav Ganguly
12. Brian Charles Lara
13. Marcus Trescothick
14. Rohit Sharma
15. Chris Gayle
16. Alvin Kallicharan
17. Ramnaresh Sarwan
18. Saeed Anwar
19. Inzamam ul haq
20. Aravinda De Silv

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
viv richards
brian lara
desmond haynes
gordon greenidge
sachin tendulkar
virat kohli
rohit sharma
saurav ganguly
a.b de villiers
michael bevan
steve waugh
mark waugh
dean jones
ricky ponting
javed miandad
inzy ul haq
kumar sangakkara
aravinda de silva
martin crowe
kane williamson

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I want to rate Symonds higher than 21st (where he is right now), but something stops me. Dunno why. Maybe I need RedHill to write a post extolling his virtues.
Average of 40 at a SR of 92. Could play tempo or just unleash from the get-go. His timing was sublime. Just eased sixes over midwicket or straight with minimal effort. Handy bowler and legitimately the best ground fielder I've ever seen.

I'd have him in my ATG ODI XI every time. Complete ODI cricketer.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeh, for some reason he's overlooked as an ODI bat. He was very very good. As a player he is pretty important in a team role as well, excellent change bowler.

Nominate Shane Watson if he's not already nominated.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Allrounders are at a disadvantage when it comes to listing the best pure bats as they are usually under-rated as pure batsmen.

TheJediBrah

Average of 40 at a SR of 92. Could play tempo or just unleash from the get-go. His timing was sublime. Just eased sixes over midwicket or straight with minimal effort. Handy bowler and legitimately the best ground fielder I've ever seen.

I'd have him in my ATG ODI XI every time. Complete ODI cricketer.
If Symonds wasn't in such a strong team his whole career he wouldn't be overlooked as much. Incredible short-form cricketer, and a shame that he didn't play many Tests

TheJediBrah

Ponting's fielding alone would be worth an extra 5-10 runs on his batting average compared to most of his competition