• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW decides the 32 best test* opening batsmen of all time - The countdown thread!

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, Bradman never saw action during the war while Miller did which probably goes some way to explaining their different philosophies.
Well illustrated by an exchange reported by Jack Fingleton. Bradman "grumbled apropos of Miller not bowling."
"I don't know what's up with you chaps," Bradman said. "I'm 40 and I can do my full day's work in the field."
To which Miller allegedly replied: "So would I - if I had fibrositis during the war!"

Miller remembered "hitting (Bill) Edrich, a gutsy little player with a DFC, from bloody pillar to post."

He wrote: "They were holding us up and Bradman came to me and said, 'Bowl faster, bowl faster. When you play Test cricket you don't give Englishmen an inch. Play it tough, all the way. Grind them into the dust.' Those were his words. I thought to myself, a war has just passed, a lot of Test cricketers and near Test ones have been killed and here we are after that war, everybody happy to be alive, and we have to grind them into the dust. So i thought bugger me, if this is Test cricket, they can stick it up their jumper. Don kept up this incessant will-to-win but it just wasn't my way of playing cricket."

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well illustrated by an exchange reported by Jack Fingleton. Bradman "grumbled apropos of Miller not bowling."
"I don't know what's up with you chaps," Bradman said. "I'm 40 and I can do my full day's work in the field."
To which Miller allegedly replied: "So would I - if I had fibrositis during the war!"

Miller remembered "hitting (Bill) Edrich, a gutsy little player with a DFC, from bloody pillar to post."

He wrote: "They were holding us up and Bradman came to me and said, 'Bowl faster, bowl faster. When you play Test cricket you don't give Englishmen an inch. Play it tough, all the way. Grind them into the dust.' Those were his words. I thought to myself, a war has just passed, a lot of Test cricketers and near Test ones have been killed and here we are after that war, everybody happy to be alive, and we have to grind them into the dust. So i thought bugger me, if this is Test cricket, they can stick it up their jumper. Don kept up this incessant will-to-win but it just wasn't my way of playing cricket."

**** that makes Bradman look a bit childish doesn't it. Though I guess he experienced bodyline

Starfighter

'Pressure? I'll tell what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmidt up your arse. Playing cricket is not.' - Keith Miller

Not really sure even bodyline compares to actual war.

mr_mister

Equal #22: Hanif Mohammad (20 points)

Lists featured on: 6/29
Top 5 finishes: 0
Highest finish: 8th (1)

And tied on the same amount of points is the other Pakistani batsman on this list, Hanif Mohammad. The original owner of the 'little master' nickname. Arguably the first cricket star Pakistan ever produced(him or Fazal) he was certainly the first batting star. It seems according to CW he would definitely be opening the batting for his nation in an ATG XI.

It's easy to see why too, he holds/held some pretty interesting records. He played the longest innings in test history, a 970 minute 337 to save his nation from certain defeat in 1958. Pakistan put up 106 in their first innings reply to the West Indies 579... and somehow didn't lose a 6 day match. All thanks to Haniff pretty much. After Pakistan crumbled in their first innings on day 3 and were made to follow on, Haniff in the second dig batted all the way from day 3 to day 6! His innings totaled around 16 hours at the crease and lord knows how many balls he faced. Pakistan secured a very impressive draw against a Windies side with Gilchrist, Valentine and Sobers as the main bowling threats - not top tier but not pushovers either.

The next year Haniff proved his patience and persistence at the crease was no fluke, hitting 499 in a first class game before being run out of all things. This is still the second highest score in all first class cricket, obviously, with only Lara's knock beating it. Man I assume he was filthy at his batting partner in the dressing sheds afterwards for that run out.

His test record looks good, averaging over 40 against all nations except one. The only asterisk on his record is his output against England. Against Australia with Davidson and Benaud he averaged a very solid 50 from 6 tests, but against the poms it dropped down to 33 from 18 matches. England certainly had some awesome bowlers around this time but it still seems a little on the low side and is perhaps why he's not remembered more fondly than he is.

However there was a bright spot. A test played in... Dhaka funnily enough in 1962 where he scored a ton in each innings to help his nation to a draw(probably as good as a win for Pakistan in those days weren't they). In this match the only bowler of any quality who I recognize is Tony Lock. Ken Barrington even bowled 21 overs in the second innings... but with 13 maidens so maybe he was suited to the job.

Mohammad was the perfect opener in a lot of ways. His defense was his biggest attribute and he was known for almost never hitting the ball in the air, a method for success often associated with Bradman.

Last edited:

mr_mister

haha oh okay. I actually went out of my way to get his name right in the bolded heading. then I clearly got lazy during the writeup

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I wonder it is the same Mirpur ground that they use now...or the Gymkhana Ground.
That match was played at the Bangabandhu National Stadium. This stadium does not hold any international cricket matches since 2005 and is used exclusively for football now. These days, cricket is played at the Mirpur ground which you mentioned.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Since you highlighted that Hanif’s huge innings was in a 6 day match; note that in the WI in that era they only played 5-hour days. (Of course, back then they would often get through about 90 overs anyway).

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Did this pic of Fredericks captivate anyone ?
Poise and power personified in a piroutte with legs perfectly placed in parallel. Ballet-like balance, blasting the ball beyond the boundary.
One of the best batting pics I've seen - so thanks Mr. Mister.
Back on topic...
He used to get very close to the stumps. In the 1975 World Cup Final he hooked a 6 but stood on his wicket in the process.