• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW chooses the best test spinner ever (50 names, but you only submit a list of 20)

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
There's nothing crazy about rating MacGill at a similar level or arguably better than blokes like Gupte and Chandra who no one's questioning being ranked i the top 10

Ironmonger managed to average like 17, regardless of conditions or the shortness of his career it bares consideration

Anyone this **** would be boring if everyone voted for the same people
Or the opposition. Same people are quick to pounce on Murali's record against Bangladesh.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem with MacGill is he was carted around by players who could play spin, unlike Murali, Warne or Kumble, who had interesting battles with even the best. 52.87 against India and SL, most of them played on spinning conditions is not good enough.

the big bambino

International Captain
The problem with MacGill is he was carted around by players who could play spin, unlike Murali, Warne or Kumble, who had interesting battles with even the best. 52.87 against India and SL, most of them played on spinning conditions is not good enough.
On the other hand I've heard people say India and maybe SL aren't necessarily good for MacGill's type of spin. More suitable for finger and top spinners. Men with a bit more pace, control and bounce than leggies like MacGill. Warne's India record would tend to back that up as well as the fact as Aussie spinners like Lyon and O'Keefe being better performers for us there. I wouldn't downgrade MacGill on patches in his record. That is just the irony of these best ever lists. Guys can make them that you wouldn't necessarily pick if you had another option. So for eg I'd rate MacGill over Gary and O'Keefe over a career but pick the latter two for the spinners in India if circumstance ever had them contesting for those spots.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why is anyone picking Lock (no pun intended)? The dude was a filthy chucker, probably worse than Ajmal.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i'm gonna throw in my own list because why not

Warne
Murali
O Reilly
Grimmett
Verity
Laker
Wardle
Gupte
Gibbs
Tayfield
Ironmonger
Mailey
Chandra
Ramadhin
Prasanna
Kumble
Bedi
Lock
Freeman
Mushtaq

mr_mister

and with that i'm gonna call a wrap on the voting and also further editing of any lists. gonna start the count now

cnerd123

likes this
and with that i'm gonna call a wrap on the voting and also further editing of any lists. gonna start the count now
Aww but I just got back here

If you wouldn't mind:

1) Murali
2) O'Reilly
3) Warne
4) Laker
5) Grimmet
6) Verity
7) Kumble
8) Gibbs
9) Gupte
10) Chandrasekhar
11) Tayfield
12) Herath
13) Briggs
14) Lyon
15) Underwood
16) Qadir
17) Trumble
18) Bedi
19) Prasanna
20) Wilfred Rhodes

TheJediBrah

Aww but I just got back here

If you wouldn't mind:

1) Murali
2) O'Reilly
3) Warne
4) Laker
5) Grimmet
6) Verity
7) Kumble
8) Gibbs
9) Gupte
10) Chandrasekhar
11) Tayfield
12) Herath
13) Briggs
14) Lyon
15) Underwood
16) Qadir
17) Trumble
18) Bedi
19) Prasanna
20) Wilfred Rhodes
Edit your list to have SOK no. 1 then we'll allow it

mr_mister

Is my Barnes pick allowed? Just went through the early parts of the thread and read about how you guys didn't think he was eligible.

Since Gnske picked 10 randoms (McGain, Todd Astle) etc amongst legit picks I've decided to make a silent rule that only bowlers who featured on at least 2 lists qualify for the final countdown, mainly because I can't be bothered doing an extra 10 write ups for those crappy players.

As you were the only Barnes voter he's not appearing in the final countdown either

Daemon

1) Murali
2) Lock
3) Ajmal
4) Harbhajan
5) Jim Higgs
6) Yardley
7) Narine
8) Shillingford
9) Botha
10) Hafeez