• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW BT Cup 6

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Team: Cymru Gurgitaters (3688)
Username: trevor_vayro

Couldn't disagree more strongly with the sentiments which have so far been expressed Re: Rodgie.
A. I don't accept the legitimacy of his ban, or at the very least the draconian and disproportionate length of his ban. This amounts to a popularity contest, and whilst he could get up my nose as much as the next person, neither I or any of you have the right to affectively expunge him from the face of the earth. Do you want to be a part of the kind'a community where unpopular opinions are sat upon and their authors persecuted? It's not for me!
B. This whole sorry passage has demonstrated to me that, whilst Rodgie undoubtedly has a lot of growing up to do, he's by far the only member. Setting aside for one moment the transgressions for which he's ostensibly being punished, the reason why matters came to a head, that his ban is so long, and was implemented to such all-round approval, is simply because a few people couldn't take criticism of their imaginary cricket teams from a sixteen year old kid. If you ask me, that says more about them than Rodgie!
C. Whilst the CW Cup is so called, it is, to the best of my knowledge, in no way sanctioned or sponsored by CW - Therefore the argument that only current CW members can participate holds no water whatsoever. I wonder whether the same rigid criteria would be applied if Hoggy31 or Xuhabe wished to join? - Neither of whom have posted for a year or so, and therefore. couldn't be classed as current members in any meaningful sense.
D. When running any kind of sports competition it always helps to have as many participants as possible, as it gives you so many more options with regards to formats etc. Therefore we should be grateful of anyone who wants to join.

I'm painfully aware that this is my first CW Cup, and as such I have little or no right to lecture the rest of you, but this whole Rodgie business has been getting under my skin for a while now. I know how you all feel, he isn't exactly my cup of tea either, but this is just mob rule and bullying!

On a more practical note, would it make sense if we were to give the people still in the cup, i.e. Scaly, Adam, Nibbs, Mahindinho etc, a bye through to the second stage of the competition, A, because they're almost certainly going to reach it in any case, and B, so we could draw up groups and get cracking this weekend.

Later, Trevor, Nationwide, Vayro (Proud to be different!)

nibbs

International Captain
On a more practical note, would it make sense if we were to give the people still in the cup, i.e. Scaly, Adam, Nibbs, Mahindinho etc, a bye through to the second stage of the competition, A, because they're almost certainly going to reach it in any case, and B, so we could draw up groups and get cracking this weekend.

Agreed. I've got another 2 weeks of cup cricket to go. Whoa yeah

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Team: Cymru Gurgitaters (3688)
Username: trevor_vayro

Couldn't disagree more strongly with the sentiments which have so far been expressed Re: Rodgie.
A. I don't accept the legitimacy of his ban, or at the very least the draconian and disproportionate length of his ban. This amounts to a popularity contest, and whilst he could get up my nose as much as the next person, neither I or any of you have the right to affectively expunge him from the face of the earth. Do you want to be a part of the kind'a community where unpopular opinions are sat upon and their authors persecuted? It's not for me!
B. This whole sorry passage has demonstrated to me that, whilst Rodgie undoubtedly has a lot of growing up to do, he's by far the only member. Setting aside for one moment the transgressions for which he's ostensibly being punished, the reason why matters came to a head, that his ban is so long, and was implemented to such all-round approval, is simply because a few people couldn't take criticism of their imaginary cricket teams from a sixteen year old kid. If you ask me, that says more about them than Rodgie!
C. Whilst the CW Cup is so called, it is, to the best of my knowledge, in no way sanctioned or sponsored by CW - Therefore the argument that only current CW members can participate holds no water whatsoever. I wonder whether the same rigid criteria would be applied if Hoggy31 or Xuhabe wished to join? - Neither of whom have posted for a year or so, and therefore. couldn't be classed as current members in any meaningful sense.
D. When running any kind of sports competition it always helps to have as many participants as possible, as it gives you so many more options with regards to formats etc. Therefore we should be grateful of anyone who wants to join.

I'm painfully aware that this is my first CW Cup, and as such I have little or no right to lecture the rest of you, but this whole Rodgie business has been getting under my skin for a while now. I know how you all feel, he isn't exactly my cup of tea either, but this is just mob rule and bullying!

You need to be aware though that there is a lot to this forum beyond the BT thread, and frankly I would be surprised if anything he posted in the BT thread contributed significantly to his banning. There were worse incidents in other parts of the forum that I am aware of, though I'm not aware of any specific incident that resulted in the eventual six-month ban. I do agree though that the length of the ban in relation to whatever offences he may have committed seems needlessly excessive; it just seems a bit immature banning someone from an internet forum for six months.

Also, that 'detrimental to forum atmosphere' rule that was introduced (relatively) recently (and I imagine was invoked in Rodgie's ban) reads like something out of the PATRIOT Act, and seems to be just a convenient device for banning people who haven't done anything specifically against forum rules. Anyway, I don't exactly miss the guy myself but I can see what you're saying, and it's not the first time I've had cause to disagree with moderation policies around here.

Have no problem personally with allowing Rodgie to participate in this - he can't even post, so I don't see why anyone could possibly care. Good to see you (finally!) participating as well, BTW.

I'll confirm my place when I'm out of the cup or if this 'bye' idea gains currency.

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Try this on for size then. Obviously there is a degree of subjectivity to the seedings, but I tried to be as impartial as possible. The other two teams in each group were allocated on a first come first serve basis, depending on the order in which they posted an interest. Two will qualify from each group, giving 12, plus the four A Seeds, giving a straight 16 random knock-out - Which you'll just have to trust me to draw! If anyone has alternative structures then please do post them, but if people are broadly happy with this, then I'm happy to take it on, though some help would be appreciated.

Later Trev.

A Seeds: (Automatically through to the last 16)
1. Adam
2. Scaly
3. Nibbs
4. Mahindinho

B Seeds: (1 per group, highest meets lowest C Seeds)
1. Nooga99
2. Superkingdiv
3. Samuel_Vimes
4. Brynovo
5. Robertinho
6. Trevor_vayro

C Seeds: (1 per Group, highest meets loweest B seeds)
1. Agent TBY
2. Jamee999
3. Andy
4. Cricketboy
5. Chaminda_00
6. Mark

Group A:
Nooga99, Mark, Bobisback, Jungle Jumbo

Group B:
Superkingdiv, Chaminda_00, Dontcloseyoureyes, NZTailender

Group C:
Samuel_Vimes, Cricketboy, Clapo, Alternative

Group D:
Brynovo, Andy, New-Age_ar, Cameeel

Group E:
Robertinho, Jamee999, MikeW, Spitfires_Fan

Group F:
Trevor_vayro, Agent TBY, Oz_Fan, Rodgie

New participants, (up to another 12), will be added one per group, starting with Group A, up until 7:00 PM on the Thursday proceeding the first round of fixtures, i.e. this Thurs, if this plan gets the go-ahead.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
There will probably be 48 teams sign up, last season we had 40 teams. There no need to make people rush to sign up, as one key aspect of BT is that you can log on once a week and your side runs fine.

With the guys who are still in the cup, i don't see a need personally to start for atleast two weeks. This week for sign ups, next week for playoff if there is too many teams. I would be surprised if any sides are still in the cup by then TBH.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Pretty cut to be seeded behind Jamee, Tharmi, Marc and Gaurav. I'd say my side's better than most those guys. Marc also left the forums, by the way, I daresay he won't be participating.

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Like I say, the seedings aren't infallible, and are largely based on my impressions from reading the BT thread, rather than any technical Batstats gubbins. But the way to get your own back is to make a monkey of me, and qualify from your group against the betting. Though I do concede that your group, along with Group C, are the groups of death!

Group B:
Superkingdiv, Chaminda_00, Dontcloseyoureyes, NZTailender

Group C:
Samuel_Vimes, Cricketboy, Clapo, Alternative

Still, should make for some cracking matches!

Tharmi, I tried to avoid any system involving a preliminary playoff, just to make sure that the newer guys got a fair few matches. But in order to do that we'd have to start fairly soon, hence why I gave the A Seeds a bye. Plus, unless any of them have a burning desire for us to stall things and wait for them to finish their Cup runs, I don't really see the point. They're all going to qualify anyway, and removing them from the group stages just means that the groups will be even more hard-fought and exciting.

Bugsy, providing there's enough support for this format, consider yourself in Group A, whether that's instead of or as well as Mark I'll have to find out. Male Models? Are they real? *If so, you'll be in Group B.

At the moment I've got 30 teams entered, with the capacity for another 10, that should be enough shouldn't it? BTW, does anyone know if Paddy's still playing? And there's also the Backinator and Gotspin? Anyone else think of any other regulars not mentioned? Is Rob still on the scene? I know he had computer issues.

Tar, Trev

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I've had to qualify "against the betting" in the last two cups, and done it. Don't see why I'd have to do it again. Pretty ****house if you ask me, but you know, do whatever the **** you want.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
a certain person tells me that he beat chaminda_00 so he should be in grade c, and that marc is no longer on the forums so someone needs to replace him.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally I want the CW BT cup to finish the same real life week as the league does, so it doesn't hurt PFLs for the BT20 like last time.

The last 16 knockout stage would take up 4 of the 9 rounds available, the group and prelims the rest, if the groups are started next week then we can have groups of 5 with the top 2 going through (and maybe the odd best 3rd place). Trouble is that means we'd need prelims sorted for this week unless we somehow got 40 or less entries.

And of course the highups are still in the cup anyway, tho I might be out this week.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
We haven't gotten a full complement of teams yet so lets just ease up and not get ahead of ourselves, hey?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It seems Trev want to run it, so you can go for it. But if you were going to have seeding base them on past cup results, as much as rating etc. A tad unfair on teams who qualified for the last two knockout rounds i.e DCYE to not be seeded. Also there no point in putting people in the cup who haven't registered i.e Rob and Marc.