• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current number 1 test pace bowler

Best test pace bowler

• Anderson

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Bumrah

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Cummins

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Rabada

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wagner

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Cummins quite clearly. Bumrah needs more than 14 Tests to be rated.

It would be interesting to travel into the future and see how they rate when their careers are finished.
Depends on how you define right now I guess. Anderson wins easily in terms of career. A shorter period can be used to justify just about anyone else, depending on how short you want to go.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I interpreted "current" as being still active and I rated them on their most recent form (2-3 years).

If we rated them in terms of career then Anderson definitely wins but we have so much to expect from the others while Anderson's career is in its twilight - in fact night may have fallen.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Depends on how you define right now I guess. Anderson wins easily in terms of career. A shorter period can be used to justify just about anyone else, depending on how short you want to go.
3 inches

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Man I really hope you find some success with online dating, at least for such posting to stop... Go be horny in OT, leave CC alone FFS...

Bolo.

So serious revisionism going on here.
Nope. Anyone who was following cricket in the early 2010s could tell Philander (and M Johnson/possibly others) was ahead of Anderson. Late 2010s, all the other guys in this poll have clearly been ahead at various times. Maybe there was a time before Rabada came good when Anderson was actually the second best, but it would have been very brief if it happened.

Anderson is clearly the second best bowler of the decade, but it is revisionism to claim he was the second best at any point in time based on this fact.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Nope. Anyone who was following cricket in the early 2010s could tell Philander (and M Johnson/possibly others) was ahead of Anderson. Late 2010s, all the other guys in this poll have clearly been ahead at various times. Maybe there was a time before Rabada came good when Anderson was actually the second best, but it would have been very brief if it happened.

Anderson is clearly the second best bowler of the decade, but it is revisionism to claim he was the second best at any point in time based on this fact.
Behave yourself.

TheJediBrah

lol yeah Anderson was never the best bowler but aside from a brief period around 2013-14 he was always better than Johnson

Bolo.

View attachment 25425

James Anderson test ranking timeline. Now STFU.
Rankings are a lagging indicator when it comes to new players. Takes a while to build points.

Philanders averages by year at the start of his career(2011, when it looks like Anderson hit number 2 for the first time):
12 21 18

Andersons for the same years:
25 30 32

Reeeaal close, but I think Philander might just scrape through.

Behave yourself.
Had this poll been done towards the end of Johnsons glory run, Anderson wouldnt have got a single vote, unless we have some undercover British journalists on CW.

Last edited:

trundler

To be fair you could say a similar thing about a bowler like Wasim. It would go something like Ambrose/Waqar/Donald/McGrath for his career.