• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current best player

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
ch00baka said:
Craig Cumming is without a doubt the finest, most elegant batsman New Zealand has ever produced, and possibly the best the world has ever seen.
Sorry, I'm firmly entrenched in the Darrin Murray camp.

Gritty, technically superb, and a ticker that the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz would die for.

ch00baka

School Boy/Girl Captain
That comment is blatantly absurd, Darrin Murray shouldn't have gotten anywhere near the Porirua second XI let alone the test team.

Scallywag

Banned
honestbharani said:
I don't think Ponting should make that list because his test form has not been great since becoming captain,bar that 200.
Ponting has averaged 52 as captain of Australia.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Averages for last 5 tests

Kallis 71
Lara 42
Ponting 91
Gilchrist 81
Flintoff 37
Martyn 78

McGrath 27wickets @16
Wonderful use of selective figures there - why am I not surprised?

Scallywag

Banned
marc71178 said:
Wonderful use of selective figures there - why am I not surprised?
We are talking about current form and I would imagine current form would be the last one or two series.

What do you consider to be current form and I will look at those stats.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Scallywag said:
Ponting as captain of Australia.

m--runs-hs----ave--100-50
10 836 207 52.25 1 5

Not bad form for a captain
I think his record is not all that great bar that 200. Plus I think guys like Martyn and Kallis have done better than Ponting and therefore deserve a place at his expense on the list of the best current players.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
We are talking about current form and I would imagine current form would be the last one or two series.

I think it would be fair to say that Ponting had a poor start to his captaincy, prior to returning to Australia. However, it's worth remembering that during those first three series (Sri Lanka away, Sri Lanka home and India away) he only played 5 tests and was troubled by injury, and before that was 2003 where he averaged over 100. So yes, he had 5 poor tests after becoming captain in which he averaged around 30, and has since had 5 tests in which he averages 90, giving him an overall average as captain of 52. If you extend your definition of "current form" any further back to when he became captain 10 months ago you get his awesome series against India and his record looks even better. So, I don't know exactly how you could make his form as captain look poor by picking any particular number of tests to judge him by.

Scallywag

Banned
honestbharani said:
I think his record is not all that great bar that 200. Plus I think guys like Martyn and Kallis have done better than Ponting and therefore deserve a place at his expense on the list of the best current players.
Pontings last 15 innings

4*
62*
26*

Looks ok to me.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:

Perhaps you would be kind enough to remind us of the 2004 stats for each of those named.

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Someone may have suggested Tendulkar but I didnt see it and I only looked at players that had been nominated.
In that case, please look him up now.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Scallywag said:
Pontings last 15 innings

4*
62*
26*

Looks ok to me.
Sorry, I meant his form since he became captain bar that 200 is not all that great. Plus, like I said, inspite of his good record, I still think Martyn and Kallis deserve their places in that list more than him.

Scallywag

Banned
statsguru list the games in blocks of 5 test matches and as five is the minimun I assumed that that would be current form, if you want I can look up in lots of 5,10,15,20,25 and so on.

just let me know what you consider to be current form and then when you or anyone else says current form I will understand what you mean.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
statsguru list the games in blocks of 5 test matches and as five is the minimun I assumed that that would be current form, if you want I can look up in lots of 5,10,15,20,25 and so on.

just let me know what you consider to be current form and then when you or anyone else says current form I will understand what you mean.
Ponting's block of 5 tests preceding the last 5 is poor. That's not exactly "current form" though, and his last 10 is pretty good.

For what it's worth, Ponting's 2004 was 697 runs @ 41 in 10 tests. That's basically his captaincy record minus the double hundred and with Steve Waugh's final test added in. Again, not exactly current form, but not spectacular.