• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers who wasted their talents

Days of Grace

International Captain
Craig McMillan??

In ODIs, anyway. Should have a much better average than 28, considering he's taylor-made for the game.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Ramprakash - look at his FC average and then his Test average

Hick - same as above

Harmison - has had moments of greatness, but hasn't been able to perform regularly

M. Waugh - to an extent; could of been so much better (than Steve)

Xuhaib

International Coach
Ramprakash - look at his FC average and then his Test average

Hick - same as above

Harmison - has had moments of greatness, but hasn't been able to perform regularly

M. Waugh - to an extent; could of been so much better (than Steve)
I dont think Hick wasted his talent, he had a phenomenal record in FC cricket but it was more due to the fact that he was an exceptional batsman against medium pace stuff. Hicks game was never accompolished against genuine hostile quick stuff and was rather unfortunate to play in era when we had some great fast bowlers and thus his avg of mid 30 is an accurate reflection of his batting talents.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Is talent being able to get a quick 30 then slogging one up in the air, cause that's what Afridi has made a career of.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is talent being able to get a quick 30 then slogging one up in the air, cause that's what Afridi has made a career of.
Like andcy said, talent is being able to score 100 runs from 36 deliveries when you are 16. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you 16? Could you imagine doing that at your age? It's mind boggling how much talent that Afridi has with the bat, it is the mental side of his play that will always let him down.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Like andcy said, talent is being able to score 100 runs from 36 deliveries when you are 16. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you 16? Could you imagine doing that at your age? It's mind boggling how much talent that Afridi has with the bat, it is the mental side of his play that will always let him down.
Wasted talent though.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm 17, but yeah that's one innings, if he did those sorts of innings (not to that extent) consistently then that would be real talent

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Andre Adams?

He just hasn't had the opportunities. His ODI batting could be alsightly better, but once again, opportunites, he comes in at the slog overs so an average of 18 at 100 is decent I guess. His bowling is rather typical NZ bowler though.

Can't see how he has wasted his talent.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Andre Adams?

He just hasn't had the opportunities. His ODI batting could be alsightly better, but once again, opportunites, he comes in at the slog overs so an average of 18 at 100 is decent I guess. His bowling is rather typical NZ bowler though.

Can't see how he has wasted his talent.
Always looked great in the domestic season, and he wasn't exactly terrible in international cricket but more was expected from him than what he delivered. What I think anyway.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Always looked great in the domestic season, and he wasn't exactly terrible in international cricket but more was expected from him than what he delivered. What I think anyway.
Hmmm, if thats what you think, i don;t think it fits the crieteria for this thread. I mean, 1 Test?

Poor Andre didnt have enough chances to disappoint.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm 17, but yeah that's one innings, if he did those sorts of innings (not to that extent) consistently then that would be real talent
Apologies. No, if he did those things consistently then it would be making the most of his talents and being consistent. You can't deny Afridi doesn't have talent, because it's not easy to play some of the innings he has. As you said earlier, he's brainless, and that's how he has let himself down.