• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers who should have played a certain format in international cricket , but for some reason were never picked ?

WICFan

U19 Captain
Probably been discussed before but Glenn Chapple should have played more international cricket.

Di Venuto and Hildreth?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Slater and SehWAG are two of a kind when it comes to swashbuckling test openers who were nowhere near as good in ODIs.

Slater, funnily enough, seemed to have cracked ODIs as a #5/6 batter playing the Bevan role in the Titan Cup in 1996. He was making 50+ scores in 30 odd balls etc. A lot of hustling and bustling 2s and 3s and even 1s in between the odd big hit.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Slater and SehWAG are two of a kind when it comes to swashbuckling test openers who were nowhere near as good in ODIs.

Slater, funnily enough, seemed to have cracked ODIs as a #5/6 batter playing the Bevan role in the Titan Cup in 1996. He was making 50+ scores in 30 odd balls etc. A lot of hustling and bustling 2s and 3s and even 1s in between the odd big hit.
Sehwag was a gun ODI opener, no? Basically the same average as gilly playing in the same era but also strikes at 105 compared to gillies 95.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Why? He was no good. Needed all the fielders in the cordon. Or couldn't handle the run rate clock ticking inside his own head. Either way, he played plenty enough for his abilities.
This is similar to CdG. You can look at him as a hits ball long, should be an ODI/T20 gun but yet averaged 38 in Tests, 26 in ODIs and 15 in T20Is (very similar numbers at first class level). I wouldn't say he's no good, but with limited overs fields and run rate pressures, he couldn't score with any consistency.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Unfortunately NZ has a growing list of 145km + bowlers who haven't played any or very little Test cricket. Lockie Ferguson (1, and bowled 11 overs before breaking down), Adam Milne (0), even 18 for Shane Bond was many less than desired. It wouldn't surprise if the likes of Ben Sears, Matt Fisher etc continue the trend.

Flem274*

123/5
Peak Colin Munro would have been an interesting player to give a run at #7 in the test side. Arguably a better player for Auckland than KW was for ND or Conway for Wellington.

Ferguson would have 20-30 tests to his name already if he played in any era other than SteadyBall.

The player I have come to mention though is Greg Hay. He is an opener with 6533 @ 42.14 with 16 tons and counting. He's 38 so he will never play for NZ but his record and talent is better than any opener we've tried during his career not called Latham, Conway or McCullum imo (Guptill more talented but not in a red ball opener way).

thierry henry

International Coach
Peak Colin Munro would have been an interesting player to give a run at #7 in the test side. Arguably a better player for Auckland than KW was for ND or Conway for Wellington.

Ferguson would have 20-30 tests to his name already if he played in any era other than SteadyBall.

The player I have come to mention though is Greg Hay. He is an opener with 6533 @ 42.14 with 16 tons and counting. He's 38 so he will never play for NZ but his record and talent is better than any opener we've tried during his career not called Latham, Conway or McCullum imo (Guptill more talented but not in a red ball opener way).
Munro would have been 5 surely? Obvious time to pick him was when Nicholls came into the side.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Miller would have been the greatest left handed batsman for South Africa in test cricket i am sure.
Indeed, Graeme Pollock is totally out of his depth in comparison to David Miller, the imperious master batsman with his first class average of 36.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would have been about as good as Pinga, I reckon.