• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Team Draft - ODI edition

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
He came online, looked at five hundred different threads, I messaged him, goes offline. Pretty damn poor commitment.
Nnanden - and I mean this in the nicest possible way - chill the **** out. I was pretty pissed off last weekend when I missed my go looking after a mate down Accident & Emergency. If you'd called it "Pretty damn poor commitment" then I would have hunted you down and ripped out your spleen. Pretty damn rude considering you have no idea what the guy's up to.
Read it again. I completely understand you having to delay your turn, I didn't direct any malice toward you at all. He was online, checked lots of different threads, but didn't bother with this, which affects us all. Add to that I conceeded I was really tired and I don't see the problem.

I won't do any more turn updates and I'm sorry for trying to make this go smoothly for everyone, albeit in a perceived uptight fashion. :)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Read it again. I completely understand you having to delay your turn, I didn't direct any malice toward you at all. He was online, checked lots of different threads, but didn't bother with this, which affects us all. Add to that I conceeded I was really tired and I don't see the problem.

I won't do any more turn updates and I'm sorry for trying to make this go smoothly for everyone, albeit in a perceived uptight fashion. :)
Goughy now with 11:15 minutes left...

Matt79

Global Moderator
Jokes about harassing Goughy aside, I'm up after him, but am going to have to go to bed - nodding off as I type this.

I can make my selection now, who I think it is highly unlikely that Goughy will want, so that the game can keep on moving while I'm sleeping. I'd name him on the proviso that if Goughy wanted the same player, he can have him, and I'll have to make another choice - in that case, you will have to wait til I'm up again, but as I said, given who Goughy has already chosen, I don't think he'll want my selection.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Alright, I'll nominate my pick now, and as I said, if Goughy is ok with it, then GI. Joe can go as soon as Goughy does - otherwise, if it is the player Goughy wants, I'll have to make another selection when I'm back on and hold you good folk up a few hours.

Assuming it's ok with Goughy, I'll take Tony Gray. One of the West Indian bowlers who would have walked into the #1 quick slot in any country other than their own. Can't bat, but in 25 ODIs in the late 80s-91, took 44 wickets at 18.97, with an ER of 3.94 and a strike rate of 28.8. Fast, nasty bounce, good bowler who I do seem to actually remember from when I was a kid watching them pummell us in the 88/89 series in Aus.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
It's ok, it will turn out that Goughy's been planning to take him as well, although he already looks to have a lot of bowlers, but no openers...

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah - his strike rate was a bit too high for what I was after, but he was very very tight, which will help with control and building pressure. And he can bat! NZ have had a ridiculous amount of decent ODI allrounders/bit-n-pieces players over the years.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah - his strike rate was a bit too high for what I was after, but he was very very tight, which will help with control and building pressure. And he can bat! NZ have had a ridiculous amount of decent ODI allrounders/bit-n-pieces players over the years.
Jamee has a habit of picking strike bowlers early so there wasn't really a need for another. Hopefully he and Ranatunga can keep things tight in the middle overs. Will be interesting to see how Ranatunga goes with ball, in modern times. You could get away with steady medium pace back in the 80s. Not sure now, though Sehwag can share the 5th bowling responsibilies.

Matt79

Global Moderator
If Goughy's 12 hours elapse without him making a pick, his veto over my selection of Gray also lapses.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This isnt a selection for simming as he only played a handful of ODIs when he was almost a pensioner, but I chose to re-unite the old Notts pairing.

I select a player that averaged nearly 40 with the bat and under 23 with the ball in Limited overs cricket.

Clive Rice

G.I.Joe

International Coach
This isnt a selection for simming as he only played a handful of ODIs when he was almost a pensioner, but I chose to re-unite the old Notts pairing.

I select a player that averaged nearly 40 with the bat and under 23 with the ball in Limited overs cricket.

Clive Rice
Goughy, he's played 3 ODIs. Might as well pick Garry Sobers too.