• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The pitch, or at least modern covered, over-prepared pitches, can't change enough in four days to give something to both pace and spin. And it's not like they're bowling up to 130 overs a day like they did when tests were 3-4 days back in the twenties and early thirties.
Sure, a Zimbabwe match probably wouldn't reach the last day anyway, but it'd be setting a precedent.

Also, it wouldn't be the 'first four-day test in history' by a long shot. The 1934 Ashes was four-day tests, and some other series may have been too. And they sometimes bowled more overs than you'd get in five these days.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No. Test cricket is not 4 day games.

I don't like it.
It's so ****ing stupid. Idiots like Warne and Mark Taylor will keep shouting about how 4 day tests will bring in more interest, but why would it? People who don't watch cricket because it's 5 days will suddenly start watching because it's now 4 days? Why?! If they weren't interested before this will change nothing.

I hope the proposal gets rejected. Terrible terrible idea which could set a precedent for other countries to follow.

cnerd123

likes this
I think it's just a logistics issue tbh

I don't mind it being utilised like this (as a means to squeeze in a Test against a minnow in a tight schedule)

Although tbf a 4 day FC game against Zimbabwe serves the same purpose. I think they just want to call it a Test to gather more interest, so that they can charge more for tickets and earn more money from sponsorship and TV.

OverratedSanity

I think it's just a logistics issue tbh

I don't mind it being utilised like this (as a means to squeeze in a Test against a minnow in a tight schedule)

Although tbf a 4 day FC game against Zimbabwe serves the same purpose. I think they just want to call it a Test to gather more interest, so that they can charge more for tickets and earn more money from sponsorship and TV.
It's a logistics issue in this case but it'll be used to further push the narrative of 4 day tests to actually be more prevalent going forward.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Also, it wouldn't be the 'first four-day test in history' by a long shot. The 1934 Ashes was four-day tests, and some other series may have been too. And they sometimes bowled more overs than you'd get in five these days.
They were still playing 4-day Tests in some series into the early 1970s - I think I've read that New Zealand v Pakistan 1972-3 was the last such series.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why is it that whenever I see the title of this thread I want to post "the English cricket team"?

Burgey

Young bloke had the somewhat unnerving experience of batting with Sean Abbott in the nets on Thursday night. Said he watched him and thought how easy he made it look, then got down the other end and realised the blokes were bowling full tilt and got what he described as a bloody rude awakening.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
How good is Sean Abbott though? Any chance he can get up to national ranks? Dude must be one tough cookie having had to go through what he had gone through and then come back this well.

Burgey

Yeah we sit here as keyboard warriors and say X is **** or Y is no good. Try facing these ****s and see what it’s like. Watch these blokes bowl who play first grade or second XI. Honestly, face them and you **** yourself. I don’t mind admitting it. I faced a bloke called Neale Jones who played Shield for nsw in two games and got slapped around like a a red headed stepchild. He wa brutal. I tried to hook him and top edged it into my lid. He *walked* down the pitch and took it standing next to me. It’s next level, that sort of ****. He was faster than Bollinger, quicker than anyone I faced save Cracker Holdsworth. But he was a comparative nobody. It’s different level **** when you play agoainst those blokes.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah we sit here as keyboard warriors and say X is **** or Y is no good. Try facing these ****s and see what it’s like. Watch these blokes bowl who play first grade or second XI. Honestly, face them and you **** yourself. I don’t mind admitting it. I faced a bloke called Neale Jones who played Shield for nsw in two games and got slapped around like a a red headed stepchild. He wa brutal. I tried to hook him and top edged it into my lid. He *walked* down the pitch and took it standing next to me. It’s next level, that sort of ****. He was faster than Bollinger, quicker than anyone I faced save Cracker Holdsworth. But he was a comparative nobody. It’s different level **** when you play agoainst those blokes.

Yeah.. think I wrote about the one time our school made it to the finals of an inter school under 17 tournament and we got something like 160 odd in 30 overs after being 50/6 or something like that. I made a 47 and it was a big deal as it was at Chepauk and I had thought it might be a close game. The opponent team had the elder son of Kris Srikkanth in their side and he and another bloke opened and absolutely smashed our score in less than 20 overs without even losing a wicket. Funny thing was that bloke was not even able to break into the Tamilnadu under 19 team. Its just a different level than any of us can even comprehend I guess.

OverratedSanity

I faced Javagal Srinath bowling at about half pace in the nets and got bowled 3 times in the two overs I faced. That could probably be because I suck tbh.