• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, this is wild. Scotty Stevenson to rule on DRS, even though he doesn't know the rules. It would be like Shakoor Rana, but actually trying
Mark Waugh would be hilarious too. Knows the rules but often and openly says the umpire should ignore them and just go by the vibe of it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It is pretty hilarious that some ex-players are either a) revealing they didn't learn a thing during their playing days and come to the table with completely **** ideas (read I.Healy, mainly) or b) are prepared to be so mischievous and cut through the accepted viewpoints that it makes them look stupid.

I never thought AB de Villiers would tell me commentators should have a vote on DRS, or turn dingers into 9ers.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
"DRS says that's going over the top but I don't buy it. Out."
Haha, I believe this is called 'doing a Phil Gould'. He is the king of ah **** it, I know there's a rule book but it feels like a try, or it's just not rugby league to me, so let's go with the feeling. And if we don't, I'll spend a week in the media bemoaning how disgraceful it is

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Incidentally, the amount of dissent towards DRS decisions - and I'm not just talking Marnus and Steve Smith here - seems to have grown in the past year or two. Following a worldwide trend of 'don't trust the science, bro' ?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Incidentally, the amount of dissent towards DRS decisions - and I'm not just talking Marnus and Steve Smith here - seems to have grown in the past year or two. Following a worldwide trend of 'don't trust the science, bro' ?
Cribb: DRS > Cenvo watching on TV.
Cenvo: Please read this substack post from a moon landing sceptic that shows it was actually missing. DYOR.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well Hawkeye has been clearly wrong more often than you'd like, usually when there are multiple impacts close together. It only really gets shown up when a really obvious one comes up like the Zampa lbw. Understandably makes people question the overall accuracy of the process

Burgey

Mark Waugh would be hilarious too. Knows the rules but often and openly says the umpire should ignore them and just go by the vibe of it.
Used to have an umpire who didn’t agree with the lbw law so simply didn’t give them. Like not once. Ever. In decades of doing it.

Reg Roberts. One of the greats. Fantastic old bloke. He was such an institution that bowlers just didn’t appeal, it was accepted you wouldn’t get one.
He’d also tell the bowlers if they were getting close to the front line rather than just no ball them.

ataraxia

International Coach
Used to have an umpire who didn’t agree with the lbw law so simply didn’t give them. Like not once. Ever. In decades of doing it.

Reg Roberts. One of the greats. Fantastic old bloke. He was such an institution that bowlers just didn’t appeal, it was accepted you wouldn’t get one.
He’d also tell the bowlers if they were getting close to the front line rather than just no ball them.
Batters' dream lol

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

This is stark contrast to English league cricket, or it was when I played there. If you swept, and missed it, you could pretty well walk straight away. Similar for leg glancing. Umpires HATED playing across the line. Even with a left-armer turning it over the wicket, I still got given out a few times. And being the moron I was as a young man, rather than put that shot away, I bemoaned the umpire and kept playing it.

Having said that, if you got a stride in playing forward, you were generally never out. I guess this was always the case before DRS

Burgey

You'd have to just bowl wide of off with an off-side field wouldn't you? No point bowling straight if they can just stand in front of the stumps and work everything to leg
We had a really, really good pace attack so there wasn't much of a let up, regardless of who was umpiring. Lot of blokes got hit.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is stark contrast to English league cricket, or it was when I played there. If you swept, and missed it, you could pretty well walk straight away. Similar for leg glancing. Umpires HATED playing across the line. Even with a left-armer turning it over the wicket, I still got given out a few times. And being the moron I was as a young man, rather than put that shot away, I bemoaned the umpire and kept playing it.

Having said that, if you got a stride in playing forward, you were generally never out. I guess this was always the case before DRS
AWTA. I vaguely recall standing at the non-strikers end when the umpire exclaimed (something along the lines of) "You can't play a shot like that!" and gave someone out. Generally though, it was a very dysfunctional team I played in with lots of internal village rivalries which generally meant when we provided our own umpires we could guarantee we'd be all out for less than 100. A rare example where providing your own umpires was worse for the team than letting the opposition provide officials. As I was the out-of-towner, I generally didn't suffer from the feuding dismissals - but was more a victim of my own ineptitude and my predilection for playing leg-side heaves.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
AWTA. I vaguely recall standing at the non-strikers end when the umpire exclaimed (something along the lines of) "You can't play a shot like that!" and gave someone out. Generally though, it was a very dysfunctional team I played in with lots of internal village rivalries which generally meant when we provided our own umpires we could guarantee we'd be all out for less than 100. A rare example where providing your own umpires was worse for the team than letting the opposition provide officials. As I was the out-of-towner, I generally didn't suffer from the feuding dismissals - but was more a victim of my own ineptitude and my predilection for playing leg-side heaves.
I feel your pain.

HeathDavisSpeed

I feel your pain.
I once played against a team captained by a good mate of mine and you should have seen the field he set. Short mid-on and short mid-off to stop my patented charge-blocks for a single and a range of fielders on the leg side on the off chance that I actually connected with something.

Unfortunately, you can't block every hole and so I 'rapidly' moved on to 8 with two classic edges through the vacant 2nd slip area.

mr_mister

God that'd make your job easier as an umpire. Nothing I dreaded more than a teammate getting hit on the pads when I was makeshift umpire

I could be watching the ball like a hawk and still feel clueless about the decision during the appeal

Starfighter

When did the term 'bumper' for a short ball come back into fashion? In footage I've watched from Australia it at least it was common enough at least up until the sixties, but then 'bouncer' decisively took over and was the only term I heard when I was growing up in the 00's and 10's, but in the past few years it seems to me the older term has really made a comeback.