• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Chubb

International Regular
Interesting interview with Brighton Watambwa, once the fastest bowler in Zimbabwe, captain of the Belgian cricket team, contender for USA selection and now living in Switzerland. Another lost talent for Zim.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Are SG balls stitched with the same amount of force as the Dukes?
The SG balls in the last 3-4 years have come under criticism for the seam not lasting. They have made the seam more prominent, which probably explains the extravagant reverse we saw in this test but the issue of the ball not lasting is still there.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
@honestbharani do you know how they modified the ball? The best way to make the seam bigger and more durable would be to use a thicker string but it doesn't seem they've done that?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also Charles Davis has pointed out that since responsibility for no-balls was shifted to the third umpire there have been 199 calls in 18 tests. In the previous 18 tests there were 77 (and they seem to have been calling them more in said period than around say, 2017 or 18). Seems it's made quite a difference, though I must say at least one I saw replayed was maybe a bit too tight.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
@honestbharani do you know how they modified the ball? The best way to make the seam bigger and more durable would be to use a thicker string but it doesn't seem they've done that?
The CEO of SG is not very forthcoming, as you can guess. :) He just says they used same set of balls as the ones used for the last home season in India but they have somehow made the seam more upright.

I guess its not tampering when its done by the manufacturer... :laugh:

Shri

Mr. Glass
so ravi was caught having a beer during his u19 days and some warden wanted to report him and tried taking his bottle away

he called him over, took the bottle, emptied it into a glass and told the guy to go report him then with the evidence, which was the bottle

didn't want to waste half a bottle

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
Steve Waugh in 2010 correctly predicted @1:27 that SPD Smith, Starc, Hazlewood & Pattinson would be Future Stars of Australian Cricket. He has such a great eye for talent. Amazing!

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Lillee played 4 games in Asian conditions and we don't know how he would have fared if we would have played more.

But purely looking at the cutters he bowled(the movement was just crazy), I think he would have been tough to face. I am not talking about some of those flat pitches which were prepared in those days, but the turning tracks on which the cutters he bowled would have been even more lethal.

I know there have been debates on this, but purely looking at his skill, I feel he would have done great had he played more number of games in the sub-continent.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
No, I am saying this looking at the kind of cutters that Lillee bowled, they become even more lethal on turning tracks that deteriorate with every session. I am only speaking in favour of Lillee because he was not a one trick pony, he was a complete bowler with deadly cutters.

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
No, I am saying this looking at the kind of cutters that Lillee bowled, they become even more lethal on turning tracks that deteriorate with every session. I am only speaking in favour of Lillee because he was not a one trick pony, he was a complete bowler with deadly cutters.
Some says he developed cutters after back injury. & He toured SC after recovering from back injury. In 980 & 1983.

Victor Ian

International Coach
What would be the best individual day's performances by a cricketer in test cricket. I was hoping Ashwin would have bagged a few before stumps to be right up there. Considering the difficult pitch, it must surely be high.

I guess 300 in a day, even with no wickets must be huge and Sehwag was not far behind. I imagine those 10 wicket hauls of what's his name and Kumble probably occurred within a day (not sure).

What are the great single day performances of a test match?