• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember in Arthur Mailey's autobiography he curmudgeonly complains that NSW had a test-capable team in his day, but now they no longer do, in 1957-58-ish. Well it's interesting to compare the team in his day to the one a couple of years after he wrote said complaint.

The 1920-21 side that beat the MCC: 1: Collins 2: McCartney 3: Andrews 4: Kelleway 5: Bardsley 6: Gregory 7: Taylor 8: Hendry 9: Oldfield 10: Trenerry 11: Mailey

Ten test players

The 1960-61 side that beat WI: 1: Saunders 2: Booth 3: Harvey 4: O'Neill 5: Thomas 6: Davidson 7: Benaud 8: Martin 9: Misson 10: Ford 11: Rorke

Nine test players

I think it would be a rather close match between those two XI's, maybe even just in the more recent teams' favour. I wonder what Mailey was thinking then?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Was looking at some old pictures recently and noticed my cricket bat, which had the chunky look to it towards the bottom of the blade. Then I looked at some local cricket bats you see here and the sweet spot is seen higher up on the blade. Didn't notice it at first but that is probably what made the bat balance seem weird when I picked up a bat here to mock practice some shots a few weeks ago.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I remember in Arthur Mailey's autobiography he curmudgeonly complains that NSW had a test-capable team in his day, but now they no longer do, in 1957-58-ish. Well it's interesting to compare the team in his day to the one a couple of years after he wrote said complaint.

The 1920-21 side that beat the MCC: 1: Collins 2: McCartney 3: Andrews 4: Kelleway 5: Bardsley 6: Gregory 7: Taylor 8: Hendry 9: Oldfield 10: Trenerry 11: Mailey

Ten test players

The 1960-61 side that beat WI: 1: Saunders 2: Booth 3: Harvey 4: O'Neill 5: Thomas 6: Davidson 7: Benaud 8: Martin 9: Misson 10: Ford 11: Rorke

Nine test players

I think it would be a rather close match between those two XI's, maybe even just in the more recent teams' favour. I wonder what Mailey was thinking then?
Of that XI, only Harvey, Benaud and Davidson would have played Tests when Mailey wrote his book, and Davidson's record wasn't especially impressive before the 1957-8 season. AFAICT Thomas, Misson and Rorke wouldn't have been in the NSW team (or were just starting out) in 1957-8.

I haven't checked if any of the 1920-1 side were similarly just starting out, but even if they were it's unlikely that Mailey would have borne that in mind when looking back decades later.

Starfighter

Of that XI, only Harvey, Benaud and Davidson would have played Tests when Mailey wrote his book, and Davidson's record wasn't especially impressive before the 1957-8 season. AFAICT Thomas, Misson and Rorke wouldn't have been in the NSW team (or were just starting out) in 1957-8.

I haven't checked if any of the 1920-1 side were similarly just starting out, but even if they were it's unlikely that Mailey would have borne that in mind when looking back decades later.
I did say *a couple of years later*

Tom Flint

International Regular
They're now using the dukes ball in Australia to help prepare the players for away ashes series.
Next they'll be playing shield matches in England?

stephen

They're now using the dukes ball in Australia to help prepare the players for away ashes series.
Next they'll be playing shield matches in England?
We should play done shield matches against the locals. Except let's just send it test team a couple of months before the ashes.

Wait, it's called tour matches.

Starfighter

Cricinfo has done a wonderful job of breaking most of the links from older archive pages to the relevant scorecards. ****s.

Starfighter

Just saw Sanath Jayasuriya in a match from 1989. Seems one of cricket's most iconic domes did once, at a very young age, have an acceptable head of hair.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Frank Tyson had an epic dome even whilst playing.

Nathan Lyon, star of Mars Attracks is also worthy of a mention.