• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Rivalries

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Which are the one-on-one contests that you love to watch?

My favourite is Sachin vs McGrath
Other interesting ones..
McGrath - Brian Lara
Donald - Brian Lara
Srinath - Jayasurya
Warne - Laxman

Dravid - Donald was nice to watch two tours ago.

Some age-old rivalries:

Ashes
Frank Worrel trophy
Aus- NZ
India - Pak
Any others?

Warne and Murali. Right now Murali's hands down winner. But then there's always the Ashes :D

Pollock and McGrath. Two class bowlers.

Lee and Akhtar, while it lasted.

Vaughan, Dravid, Sachin this year: look set to overhaul Matt Hayden's mark last year.

[Edited on 8/10/2002 by full_length]

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah that was terrific.
Donald vs Lara was also great. I remember one match when Lara was simply creaming Donald. He took three fours of one over before lunch and two of another (if I remember right). Then Donald comes out after lunch goes around the wicket and gets Lara with a wicked bouncer to settle scores. It was amazing.

Another match saw Lara make 60 or 70 playing as carefully as he could. He completely avoided the pull and hit next to nothing legside- his preferred half.
Then he pulled just one delivery, a misdirected short ball, and found the only fielder in the legside! All that hard work down the drain. I think Donald was again the bowler.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Anoop
how about Kapil Dev v Ian Botham?

and Sachin vs Warne?
Kapil versus Botham was never a rivalry as such.

In those days one rivarly was particularly interesting .....Gavaskar versus Marshall.It was awesome and Marshall had the last laugh in the match at Lords in 1987 between the World XI and MCC.

That was Gavaskar's last match and he scored an exquisite 180 odd runs in the first innings, only to be clean bowled first ball in the second innings in near darkness.He was so furious, he gave Dickie Bird a mouthful before leaving the ground for not stopping the match due to bad light.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Good topic FL...

Miandad - Lillee?

Nazir Junior - Viv Richards ;)

Saleem Malik - Warne
Srikanth - Wasim Akram

My favorite has to be Lara - McGrath

How about Hadlee vs the entire Aus team (one man gang)

If we go way back I guess....Larwood-Bradman

Viv/Imran wasnt much of a rivalry I guess, but on Imran's first tour to the WI (I think), Imran once bowled a bouncer to Viv, and then in his follow through came close to Viv. Viv left his crease, approached Imran and told him that if it happens next time, he will the bat down Imran's throat :) Always makes me chuckle that one.

Among teams, there might be the Ashes and NZ/Aus but I really dont think anything compares to India vs Pak.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't really think NZ/Aus has such a big rivalry in cricket as compared to rugby union or league.

Obviously if India/Pakistan tee off again that will be a good series to watch.

In my mind, The Ashes is the only other rivalry.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Dion Nash v Ronnie Irani could have been Pay Per View, except it got quashed pretty quickly which was a shame.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Ahhhh but we all know Sunny isn't shy of having a go at someone, anyone, even if they've done something right!:lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmmm it looks like a rivalry between Rik and Nehrafan is boiling up...could be interisting...

[Edited on 9/10/2002 by Rik]

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Darn i lost my post :(! hey MODs this is becoming a nuisance, or am i clumsy ?

Anyway Mcgrath vs Tendulkar is my favourite

Also Anwar/Inzamam against Murali is great to see.

Does anyone remember the Pak-WI test series in Pakistan ? It was the second test and Lara was taking Waqar apart with fours of balls straying outside the offstump, Waqar was looking clueless but then he bowled a delivery that was near impossible to play, an inswinger starting a foot and two outside off and coming back to hit leg, breathtaking !

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Think you're just clumsy mate...

And Rik, please don't provoke people.

As for rivalries, the first that immediately came to my mind was Donald v Atherton.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't mean nothin! Sorry! But I would like it if he didn't personally insult me...its cricket...its a game...but this isn't even cricket...its cricket talk!

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rick Ponting and Shoib Aktha have had some good battles with Ponting winning most of them..

I remember last year in an odi Ponting came out to face Shoib without a helmet but still went for the pull shot.