• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
ok that's great but remember how this discussions started. Players themselves have already tested positive! Whatever precautions, bubbles, no crowds blah blah blah clearly isn't enough to excuse all risk.

to be clear I'm not against the tournament going ahead, if anything I think a lot of restrictions around the world have been excessive and caused more damage than they have prevented (though in many places not enough has been done).
The cricketing world is still a little sane. So many precautions are being taken in most domestic leagues and international cricket. I still think it was rubbish that 50% crowds were allowed in some of the recent games.

Look at this :laugh: :
https://www.insider.com/dana-white-announces-a-full-crowd-for-ufc-261-florida-2021-3

Shady Slim

International Coach
England played cricket at the peak of the pandemic and Australia went there. I think you guys are misunderstanding this. It is about how strong and secure the bio bubbles are and the SOPs are. As far as these two hold good, the league going on with no spectators should not be an issue. And of course, they may feel more confident having successfully run an IPL just few months ago.

I guess UAE would have made sense but you have to understand the second wave started less than a month ago and they had already set up everything. A lot of discovery is still happening about this wave. I guess they may move it out to UAE at some point or maybe the protocols will hold and they can get it done in India. Most of these stadiums are located in the main city areas and so hotel to ground travel should not take long and still be feasible if they are both biosecure.
i suppose i'd say one, the fact that aus and england did it doesn't mean that was okay, nor that it's okay for other countries to do it as well

secondly and more importantly, as tjb says, players are already testing positive!! sure, outcomes do not always reflect chances - you could have a loaded revolver to your head with five bullets in the chamber and you pull the trigger and you survive, someone else with only one in the chamber might lose their brain over the side window, i get that sure. an england and australia odi series is not the logistical nightmare of the ipl, and dare i say that the glamour culture of the ipl is much gaudier and much more open to a player leaking out and causing covid havoc than an odi series nobody cares about between australia and the poms. we'll see how it turns out and obviously i'm hoping no more players pull a positive test. we'll see how the tournament goes

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
secondly and more importantly, as tjb says, players are already testing positive!!
When any point of yours starts with "as tjb says" you know you are scraping the barrel :lol:

Anyways, for perspective, we had more players test positive at the start of the IPL in 2020 than we have now. Like I said, no one is expecting a miracle where no one tests positive. It is about management, given there are like more than 150 players involved here. And which is why I feel as long as the bio bubble details and SOPs are strong enough, this can still be ok.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The NBA bubble was extremely successful and in the middle of Florida, there's no reason why no positives is a miracle.
No positives during is different to no positives at the start though. I am pretty sure IPL 2020 had no positives during, too. I meant when players are coming in from various places, that is not something that is in your control.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh so they tested positive in isolation? I thought they all went to the team hotel without needing to isolate. Doesn't the IPL start in like two days?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have never shied off criticizing Ganguly here but I think he meant well and just chose very unfortunate words here. I think what he meant to say is that players from England, Aus, or RSA are more used to have a social life around their playing days while Indians, at least at home, because of how they get mobbed, are more kinda used to a hotel-ground lifestyle for days on end.

cnerd123

likes this
:-O

Ameya Souman hit 169, and actually hit 167 in the same tournament just 4 days earlier lol

No surprises he's the leading run scorer in this tournament. 519 runs in 5 innings @ 103.80. SR of 217.15 lol.

tournament website seems to be a bit of a WIP tho:

Suniel Shetty is involved in some capacity. The title sponsor produces custom kitchen equipment. Weird stuff.