• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Coaching

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
G'day guys... I've just returned to play cricket after a few seasons on the sidelines and have so far had 4 innings. i've got starts in all of them and am averaging 19 however i haven't made a big score. On 3 of the 4 occassions i've got out i've been bowled. I have a feeling the issue is the gap between my front foot and bat, as it's twice gone through there.

Naturally my first movement at the crease is back and across but then i just prod at full balls. However I feel that if i don't go back and across my feet don't work completely. By the time however i've gone back and across I don't have the time to get my front foot out cos the ball comes quick at me...

Any ideas on what i should be doing?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I go back and across as the ball is delivered like Michael Slater so that gives me time and puts me in the position to come onto the front foot. Try taking the step before the ball is bowled, that's all the advice I can give, maybe cricketplayer has some, practise it with tennis balls :D

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i move forward with my front foot first (not that im making many myself)
but when moving back you will just have to practice playing forward more, bat and pad nice and close together, maybe you arn't getting forward far enough, maybe your weight isn't far enough forward or maybe you are moving too much and your balance is a little off.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
James90 said:
I go back and across as the ball is delivered like Michael Slater so that gives me time and puts me in the position to come onto the front foot. Try taking the step before the ball is bowled, that's all the advice I can give, maybe cricketplayer has some, practise it with tennis balls :D
I'd echo this. The general purpose of a trigger movement is to get yourself into position ready to play the ball when it's bowled, and if you're triggering when the ball's bowled, you're more than likely off-balance when trying to play the shot.

If you're going to keep the trigger movement, try to get it earlier (i.e. pre-release) so that you're totally focussed on the delivery.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Alwys Focus on the ball at all times and sometimes dont worry about where your feet are and your bat if you hit it Flash it Hard it will go for 4

Sometimes Techinal Ability does not matter

twctopcat

International Regular
chris.hinton said:
Alwys Focus on the ball at all times and sometimes dont worry about where your feet are and your bat if you hit it Flash it Hard it will go for 4

Sometimes Techinal Ability does not matter
Is your real name marcus??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Get some people to chuck you some throwdowns at the problematic point (always make sure you're wearing full protective gear, especially the helmet - assuming you wear one at all - because otherwise it's not realistic enough) and just keep your eye on the ball.
Agree about always getting the trigger-movement in before the ball is released (only the really gifted like Brian Lara can get away with doing it as the ball is released) but it won't neccesarily automatically solve the problem.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
moving back and across isn't a bad thing - it's good to do it just as the bowler is about to deliver the ball (about half a second to a second before hand). It will allow you to get into position on the front foot or the back foot.

But a player who does this is more prone to lbw's.

If your prodding at full balls it would certainly meaning your taking your first step to late. The other downside of taking your first movement late is that you're head will be moving at a crucial point of your stroke - you want it to remain as still as possible.

Take that step back just before the bowler's sends it down and you should be ok.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i move my front foot as the bowler hits his delivery stride - on a side note more often than not its lefty's who move back and across and right handers who move forward

Langeveldt

Soutie
I had terrible problems with my initial movement as a kid.. I had my coach stick bricks behind my legs so I wouldnt back away..

After hours and hours and hours of technical work, I've had it drummed into my to head that my trigger movement brings my back foot across, and my front foot follows in front of it.. My guard is on leg and the movement is very exaggerated, but its a case of needing some overkill to solve a terminal problem. I do this before the bowler releases so I am not on the move as I play the shot. And its turned me from a rabbit into a fairly competent batsman..

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you're getting bowled, lower your backlift until you get back to form. The best thing to do is to watch the ball out of the hand as closely as possible, then let the feet take over, they will naturally move if you have good hand-eye co-ordination. The less thinking you do the better, do as much work in the nets as possible, but there is nothing like time in the middle.