• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Australia Contracts

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
New list...

Doug Bollinger: NSW, 27
Nathan Bracken: NSW, 31
Stuart Clark: NSW, 33
Michael Clarke: NSW, 28
Callum Ferguson: SA, 24
Brad Haddin: NSW, 31
Nathan Hauritz: NSW, 27
Ben Hilfenhaus: TAS, 26
Brad Hodge: VIC, 34
James Hopes: QLD, 30
Phillip Hughes: NSW, 20
David Hussey: VIC, 31
Mike Hussey: WA, 33
Mitchell Johnson: WA, 27
Simon Katich: NSW, 33
Brett Lee: NSW, 32
Graham Manou: SA, 30
Shaun Marsh: WA, 25
Andrew McDonald: VIC, 27
Marcus North: WA, 29
Ricky Ponting: TAS, 34
Peter Siddle: VIC, 24
Andrew Symonds: QLD, 33
Shane Watson: NSW, 27
Cameron White: VIC, 25
Departing the list is the retired duo of Matthew Hayden and Stuart MacGill, along with Beau Casson, Phil Jaques, Ashley Noffke, Shaun Tait and Adam Voges, who did not have their contracts renewed for 2009-10

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I really feel sorry for Jaques. He was good for so long when Hayden/Langer were incumbents, when Langer retired he had a very good start to tests, he gets injured and loses his place, and now he's even lost his contract.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well there you go, Manou's going to England. Have been saying it for ages but this surely confirms it.

Good. Glad the selectors weren't fooled by Wade and Hartley's late-season batting form.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well there you go, Manou's going to England. Have been saying it for ages but this surely confirms it.

Good. Glad the selectors weren't fooled by Wade and Hartley's late-season batting form.
Yeah I must say, I didn't really expect this. I do think he's the best candidate for a one-off game if Haddin goes down, but I thought they'd be looking to groom a younger player like Wade or Paine given Haddin's age.

I'm not criticising the decision as such but it has come as a surprise to me TBH.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really feel sorry for Jaques. He was good for so long when Hayden/Langer were incumbents, when Langer retired he had a very good start to tests, he gets injured and loses his place, and now he's even lost his contract.
Yeah, agreed (although he didn't actually lose his place to injury; he was dropped for Katich before it was confirmed he was out injured).

I'd have definitely preferred him getting a contract to Marsh, David Hussey or even Ferguson.

pasag

RTDAS
Interesting that they gave Hodge a contract as well when they don't show much intention of playing him ever again.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, agreed (although he didn't actually lose his place to injury; he was dropped for Katich before it was confirmed he was out injured).

I'd have definitely preferred him getting a contract to Marsh, David Hussey or even Ferguson.
Well yeah, he was dropped, but he had been suffering with the injury before he was dropped, so I wonder if it had any bearing on it. And it was about the unlukiest dropping ever.

pasag

RTDAS
Especially when Warner didn't get one, he'll certainly be playing heaps of Twenty20 matches throughout the year and isn't too far off the one-day side.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Perhaps Hodge is closer to being in the Test team than we realise, and has only been blacklisted from limited overs cricket.

pasag

RTDAS
Well yeah, he was dropped, but he had been suffering with the injury before he was dropped, so I wonder if it had any bearing on it. And it was about the unlukiest dropping ever.
A lot of us called for it at the time and we were right :cool:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh yeah, a good decision, just unlucky.

Could Hodge actually turn out to be the reserve Ashes batsman?
Well, unless he's the reserve batsman for the Test team, his contract really makes no sense at all.

We know he's not in the frame for ODIs given Australia has used about 10,000 players in the last year or so and he's not one of them. We also know he's not in the Twenty20 plans as he's not in the 2020WC squad. The only way the selectors can justify giving him a contract ahead of someone like Warner who is basically guaranteed to play for Australia this year is if he's the reserve batsman in Tests.

Keep in mind, we don't really know who the reserve batsman in Tests is ATM as no reserve batsman was actually taken to South Africa. I kind of just assumed it was Jaques or Watson, but this contract list confirms that it's not Jaques and hints that it may in fact be Hodge.

Top_Cat

Well, unless he's the reserve batsman for the Test team, his contract really makes no sense at all.

We know he's not in the frame for ODIs given Australia has used about 10,000 players in the last year or so and he's not one of them. We also know he's not in the Twenty20 plans as he's not in the 2020WC squad. The only way the selectors can justify giving him a contract ahead of someone like Warner who is basically guaranteed to play for Australia this year is if he's the reserve batsman in Tests.

Keep in mind, we don't really know who the reserve batsman in Tests is ATM as no reserve batsman was actually taken to South Africa. I kind of just assumed it was Jaques or Watson, but this contract list confirms that it's not Jaques and hints that it may in fact be Hodge.
Was always under the impression that Hodge was the reserve Test batter. Selectors have said so a few times whilst not mentioning anyone else, really.

Top_Cat

Yeah I must say, I didn't really expect this. I do think he's the best candidate for a one-off game if Haddin goes down, but I thought they'd be looking to groom a younger player like Wade or Paine given Haddin's age.

I'm not criticising the decision as such but it has come as a surprise to me TBH.
Yes and no. They set the standard by picking Gilly late and have followed suit with Haddin and looks like they'll do the same with Manou.

If so, they better get him some game time somewhere because Gilly and Haddin had plenty of ODI's before getting their Test spots. Throwing Manou in cold would be a bit silly.