• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricinfo Best Test 11 from last 25 years

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Absolutely horrid team. Lara ahead of Ponting at 3 in ODIs doesn't make sense. Tests, sure. ODIs, not at all. Ponting was the superior ODI bat. Kohli at 3 makes more sense too.
Anyway mine was:
Gilly
Sachin
Ponting
Kohli
ABDV
Symonds/Hussey
Klusener
Pollock
Akram
Murali
McGrath
Don't recall mine -

but it was probably like

1 Tendulkar 7
2 Amla
3 Kohli (yes - he owns this spot now)
4 ABdV
5 Watson 6
6 Buttler +
7 Flintoff 3
8 Kluesner 5
9 Pollock 1
10 Akram 2
11 Murali 4

Symonds very unlucky for Watto and Mark Waugh unlucky - the era counted against him and the all-rounders deep. Flintoff for Cairns is a close call too.

I think I prefer John1990's aggression team over the cricinfo XI.

On the bright side, the cricinfo XI omitted Bevan.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I would go:

Sachin Tendulkar
Shane Watson
Ricky Ponting *
Virat Kohli
AB de Villiers
Michael Bevan
MS Dhoni +
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

That will be gun. I might consider swapping Ponting for Hussey which will allow Kohli to play at his favorite position.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Don't recall mine -

but it was probably like

1 Tendulkar 7
2 Amla
3 Kohli (yes - he owns this spot now)
4 ABdV
5 Watson 6
6 Buttler +
7 Flintoff 3
8 Kluesner 5
9 Pollock 1
10 Akram 2
11 Murali 4

Symonds very unlucky for Watto and Mark Waugh unlucky - the era counted against him and the all-rounders deep. Flintoff for Cairns is a close call too.

I think I prefer John1990's aggression team over the cricinfo XI.

On the bright side, the cricinfo XI omitted Bevan.
Butler is brave call at this stage. Need to wait for some more time before giving him a go.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Butler is brave call at this stage. Need to wait for some more time before giving him a go.
Not really. His closest rival is Dhoni - who Buttler has beaten all over in SR for the last 6 years.

Who else do you suggest to keep in the middle? Luke Ronchi?

Unless I open with QdK or Gilly - but Amla and Tendulkar deserve more respect than that.

At the end of the day, Dhoni plays "Bevan Ball", I prefer 'Buttler ball' in my "Money Ballin' Bat Deep SR" team.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really. His closest rival is Dhoni - who Buttler has crapped all over for the last 6 years.

Unless I open with QdK or Gilly - but Amla and Tendulkar deserve more respect than that.
His closest rival is 2005-13 Dhoni, not 2013-17 Dhoni.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
His closest rival is 2005-13 Dhoni, not 2013-17 Dhoni.
2013 was so long ago. Was Netflix even a thing then? (not the mail order dvd service [edit] I believe it was in the USA)

Even then the 2013 SR of Buttler was over 125 whereas Dhoni was not even breaking 100. Dhoni is more a flying scotsman than a bullet train. How do I adjust for eras with a current train still which is still a steam powered locomotive?

I'm going with Jos Buttler and chill. He will ice this this innings or leave more balls for Freddy and Kluesner.

'Buttler Ball with Bat Deep' > Take it Deep Dhoni in my opinion.

Not *****, nor yourself will likely persuade me differently, even with 2011 Home WC Gambhir and Yuvraj based Dhoni tales.

I'll buy Tendulkar for now, I'll even buy Kohli now, but Dhoni today as against Buttler in an already bat deep team needs someone who can sell ice to eskimos in my opinion. Buttler may play himself out, but I'll be highly surprised if Dhoni plays himself in in this current era.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not trying to convince you otherwise, just correcting your statement wrt his closest rival.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Not trying to convince you otherwise, just correcting your statement wrt his closest rival.
I said Dhoni is his closest rival, you commented on Dhoni, how did you correct me? (Genuine question as I know you're a mod).

[edit] Oh the years - nah - 2013 Dhoni was still much slower than Buttler. I do not accept the correction. But if ODI ever give restrospective bonus runs for being not out, Dhoni 2013 and 2017 is back in the race for me.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WTF Mr. Miyagi.. I get that you love Buttler, but he averaged 27, 35 and 28 in 2013, 2014 and 2017 respectively.. without checking Dhoni's statistics, I know that 2013 was one of his career-best years in ODIs and even last year, he averaged around 70 I think.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
WTF Mr. Miyagi.. I get that you love Buttler, but he averaged 27, 35 and 28 in 2013, 2014 and 2017 respectively.. without checking Dhoni's statistics, I know that 2013 was one of his career-best years in ODIs and even last year, he averaged around 70 I think.
What did they average runs scored per innings if you prefer multiplied by the SR? (I really care little for not outs, you can wtf it all you like. I just don't.)

I don't care for batting averages in ODI - I care for strike rate multiplied runs scored per innings (or game).

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
OK, so do you want me to post scorecards from those years where Dhoni single-handedly took us to a respectable score, or finished the game, resulting in a not out? You ignored that when I did it once.

Bolo

State Captain
Kallis at 6 is pants selections. Others are justifiable including Lara over Ponting (although it's tough on Ricky)

Watson/Klusener/Flintoff at 7 (Dhoni at 6) and that's a fine team (can't be Symonds if you have two spinners already)
Kallis is the only selection I find plain wrong. There are a bunch of things I find somewhat questionable though- 2 wks, 2 spinners, Lara over Ponting, McGrath batting above anyone, Kohli not batting 3. You can put one or two strange choices down to preference. So many of them and it starts to look like poor selection.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
OK, so do you want me to post scorecards from those years where Dhoni single-handedly took us to a respectable score, or finished the game, resulting in a not out? You ignored that when I did it once.
You can do it again. It won't change my opinion on Dhoni vs Buttler in the least.

Buttler is dynamic and a game changer or gets out and gives someone else a chance, Dhoni takes it deep accumulating (which helps his average) and either loses or wins.

I know and have decided already which I prefer.

For what its worth, Dhoni is the best executor of stumpings and run outs I have ever seen. But it doesn't change my opinion.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Haha, I guess I should get back to my work now. Serves me right for not reading the thread. :)

Carry on, Miyagi. :happy:
It is tough to argue against those strike rates. The IPL this year was a classic example. Someone had a huge average. Someone had a lower average and a bigger SR but scored more real runs (in less real innings too). Guess which was which. :P

It has been that way for years.

I know who I prefer right now.

You may disagree. That is your right.

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain
Does anyone else find the convergence of reader and expert opinion for both the test and ODI teams strange? Some names are certainties, but on the numerous close judgement calls it's strange that they have gone the same way so often.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Does anyone else find the convergence of reader and expert opinion for both the test and ODI teams strange? Some names are certainties, but on the numerous close judgement calls it's strange that they have gone the same way so often.
The team smacks of politics to me to be honest.

Two spinners?

Two wicket keepers?

Akram at 8 and Kallis as 5th bowlers with Tendulkar as 6th?

But if you don't keep your readers happy they'll read elsewhere. It is the Fox News philosophy. What is news and what is publication sales? They grey area gets more grey.

No one player is a poor call, but as an XI - it is highly beatable.

But ***** and I have had a similar debate already (outside the politics) - are these teams meant to reflect the best possible team, or individual lifetime achievement medals?

I don't think Buttler deserves to be in the hall of fame, but right now, he comprises my best XI. And players like Watson, Symonds, Cairns, Jayasuria and Mark Waugh are closer to selection than some of those listed. Lara? In an ODI team? Even Kallis is pushing it. Hall of fame cricketers, no doubt. But making up the best team XI members? Very debatable.

Kallis's bowling e/r is higher than his bating s/r. Seriously. It is 72.89 vs 81.57 (4.84/6) - no way do I take him over Watto or even Symonds to bat 6. Just no way.

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain
Kallis is the one bat you will find agreement on around here on srs. He is well below era average, while everyone else is up there.