• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Confirmed: Rabada banned for two matches

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I personally don't think we can categorically reject that the Aussies decided pre-series to needle Rabada due to his status re: demerit points. Risky because, yknow, he's one of the best bowlers currently walking the planet and can (and did) wreck ya.
The SA management should have sorted things better even before the Indian series.... when you watch the fall of wickets when he takes wickets, particular top order wickets, he really lets go and tends to walk down the pitch shouting. He needs to be encouraged to walk away from the batsmen not down the pitch, and he will probably be alright.

Victor Ian

International Coach
i've brushed into 20 people today and it's only 1030 AM

you Australians really dont understand how the rest of the world lives don't you
I'm saying it is easy to avoid brushing people. We Australian's understand that many of the rest of the world just don't give a **** about polite behaviours and that is why we insist on defining a line in order that they can improve themselves by being more like us..

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I personally don't think we can categorically reject that the Aussies decided pre-series to needle Rabada due to his status re: demerit points. Risky because, yknow, he's one of the best bowlers currently walking the planet and can (and did) wreck ya.
I think suggesting conspiracy is a reach, even slightly. Our cricketers are natural ****s, so I'm not sure things are any different. I think he got wickets because he bowled well, not because of a reaction to needling.

Burner

International Regular
Faf's at fault imo. He's the captain and he has a world class 22 year old bowler capable of wreaking havoc in his side, and he's not doing everything he can to make sure that he plays every match. At the end of the day, he has to been as just another angry 20 year old and asked to calm himself down. I don't think Faf's ever had that conversation with Rabada, or Rabada just doesn't respect the captain which is unlikely.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
There is 2 things here...
Firstly management (and captain) should have tried to encourage Rabada to stay away from the batsmen after taking a wicket. Would have probably sorted both his charges in this match.
Secondly, should Rabada have been charged with a level 2 offence with Smith incident considering that the incident was slight brush and, probably depending who you are, to me looks unintentional (the touch)...

Those are 2 different issues. Excusing the second issue because of the first issue is not relevant.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I digress, and agree with Days of Grace that people are extra worked up because it's Rabada and not, say, Chris Woakes or some other non-personality.

Debris

International 12th Man
The SA management should have sorted things better even before the Indian series.... when you watch the fall of wickets when he takes wickets, particular top order wickets, he really lets go and tends to walk down the pitch shouting. He needs to be encouraged to walk away from the batsmen not down the pitch, and he will probably be alright.
This is not going to happen but I wish we could just stop fielding teams acting like drooling idiots every time they take a wicket. The fact that there is a small but real chance of being fined or banned for doing it makes me very happy. And yes, I am annoyed by some of the more recent iterations of century celebrations as well. A simple raise of the bat or ball to the crowd should be enough.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Which is exactly what I said the other day, his aggression isn't happening until post-wicket. A much bigger problem would be if he was getting up in guys' faces in trying to get them out. Pare it back a bit and he's probably within the rules forever. Noone's saying he can't express himself, celebrate getting a wicket, etc.

It's kinda funny to watch some commenters outright reject any hint of slippery slope thinking with respect to physical contact made on the field but cling to it for grim death when it comes to curbing uncensored expression of someone's post-wicket celebrations like it's the last bastion of free speech in this work-a-day world.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Which is exactly what I said the other day, his aggression isn't happening until post-wicket.
It is almost like he is letting off pent up steam.... also very noticeable earlier in spell than later, obviously getting a bit tired at that stage. Do a Fanie stand in the middle of the pitch and scream into the air.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i've brushed into 20 people today and it's only 1030 AM

you Australians really dont understand how the rest of the world lives don't you
There isn't a non-Indian alive who could possibly understand the pressure of walking down a crowded street.