• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

chris harris was underrated

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
McMillan wasn't a very good ODI player (apart from a great Chappell Hadlee 100 in 2007). Scott Styris or Jeremy Coney would be better options.

haha that and the 50 in the previous match were great innings. Against top class bowlers too

Speaking of his performances against top class bowlers, he found Pakistan really easy to score against(averaged 50 against them when they had really good quicks from 99-04) which as I've/others have outlined in my Shoaib thread, is very important for a NZ XI. There was definitely something about McMillan

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Cairns was better at 5 though. Tempting to pick Oram. That's a gun attack with Oram as the 5th bowler.
mr x can bat where he's told

turner
astle
kane
ross
crowe
cairns
mccullum
hadlee
vettori
bond
boult

that's obv 2007 baz. can't h4x by combining super baz with the version who can keep, though would be tempting to ask 2015 baz to keep for 6 weeks and his post back snap wheelchair is on the house

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How is Crowe not an automatic selection? He's still better than KW for me, in ODIs at least. Gun player, well ahead of his time.

mr_mister

mr x can bat where he's told

turner
astle
kane
ross
crowe
cairns
mccullum
hadlee
vettori
bond
boult

that's obv 2007 baz. can't h4x by combining super baz with the version who can keep, though would be tempting to ask 2015 baz to keep for 6 weeks and his post back snap wheelchair is on the house
get mcmillan in there for cairns and we have a deal

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
He was a very talented test batsman (McMillan) who should've done better than a 38 average. Perhaps his diabetes affected him more than he let on. However he only averaged 28 in ODIs at a strike rate of 75.

mr_mister

Is Turner really a lock or is he getting the retro-vote

His ODI average when you take out East Africa, Sri Lanka and India(who in the 70s were pretty crap in the format) was around 30.

His career only consisted of a handful of games to begin with, and I know he got a couple of tons on the grandest stage of them all but yeah they were against East Africa and ****

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/38622.html?class=2;template=results;type=batting

I don't think I've seen a more stark example of minnow bashing actually. Like they didn't just bump up a decent record from good to great, he almost literally only had good performances against minnows

trundler

Yeah but Crowe was up there with Jones and Miandad in the late 80s. He was arguably the best in the world at one point. In Ankitj's adjusted era thingy Crowe is only behind Taylor. Twose seems like a decent player who had a good purple patch but Crowe has to be a league above surely.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Turner had a few years out of the NZ side after arguments with NZ Cricket. He played again in 1982/83 as a 35/36 year old for a World Series triseries in Australia with Oz and England and an ODI series in NZ v England and did superbly. He had a revolutionary way of safely chipping the ball in the air over the infield. I've read about it.

trundler

It doesn't matter who his innings came against since he was still the first player to go really big. Discounting India is unfair too. Most of those early players only had 1 or 2 100s anyway.

mr_mister

It doesn't matter who his innings came against since he was still the first player to go really big. Discounting India is unfair too. Most of those early players only had 1 or 2 100s anyway.
Is it? I've read India were considered terrible at the format in the '70s

Didn't get a single win in the first two cups

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
3 match ODI series NZ v England 82/83

Game 1
Eng 184/9
NZ 187/4 (46.3 overs)
G Turner 88 (129)

Game 2
NZ 295/6
G Turner 94 (94)
Eng 192 (44.5 overs)

Game 3
NZ 211/8
G Turner 34 (45)
Eng 127 (40.1 overs)

mr_mister

Yeah okay. I don't think it's enough to displace both of Astle/Guptill as a lock for the other position or anything

trundler

I think I may just have a hard-on for guys from NZ's first prolonged period of being competitive. Turner, Hadlee and Crowe are 3 of my favourite cricketers.