• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Drum

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Yes, not to be confused with Max Walker :D Very handy all-rounder. I remember he starred in Cricket Max for CD.
Cricket Max ! The 'Max Zone' was awesome. 12 runs !! Craig Macmillan and his century in Max awesome. English County cricket stole it !

thierry henry

International Coach
OMG Tama Canning ??? , I'd forgotten about that dude . Another quick who could never make it in international matches . Played 4 ODIs then had a second 'disciplinary breach ' at the end of 05/06 season, (the other involved urinating over a bar) and was on the verge to having his contract torn up by Auckland cricket when he retired and went back to Perth.
Last NZ ODI he played was the Chapell-Hadlee trophy in Napier 2005 , where injuries to Styrus , Oram and Astle meant he was recalled.

Read further here on his 'retirement'

Cricket: Canning quits before getting the push - Sport - NZ Herald News
Canning was in no way a "quick". I'm not sure on this but I suspect that when he first came over from Australia he may have seen himself more as a batting all-rounder, but then quickly realised that his skiddy 125kph offerings guaranteed bags of wickets at Eden Park #2. Certainly at international level he was a "keeper up to the stumps" bowler- probably a yard quicker than Nathan Astle and a yard slower than Scott Styris.

On Chris Drum, a couple of people have mentioned him being a tall bowler in the Kyle Mills mould but I don't think he was like that at all...not saying he was short, but he was very much pitch it up and swing it, "along the wicket" style. NZ have had other bowlers like Shayne O'Connor and Simon Doull who were like Drum, tall guys who were nevertheless swing bowlers of a gentle pace who really didn't get bounce at all.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Anyone remember Andrew Penn? I remember him totally losing it and bowling a succession of wides and getting taken off after 2 overs in an ODI once.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I remember saying something disparaging about him a few years back and Flem leapt to his defence.

I do think he would have been a better test bowler than he was in ODI... not that that would be difficult.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Anyone remember Andrew Penn? I remember him totally losing it and bowling a succession of wides and getting taken off after 2 overs in an ODI once.
I do. I remember we had quite a sequence of very similar players like him too - big, burly blokes who looked like farmers and who didn't bowl very fast despite all their height and frame. Lincoln Doull was another. Andy Ellis is probably the most recent example. All of them were meant to "bat a bit" as well, but never did. It was like a bloody production line of Lance-Cairns-without-the-swing-or-the-heave all-rounders.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Canning was in no way a "quick". I'm not sure on this but I suspect that when he first came over from Australia he may have seen himself more as a batting all-rounder, but then quickly realised that his skiddy 125kph offerings guaranteed bags of wickets at Eden Park #2. Certainly at international level he was a "keeper up to the stumps" bowler- probably a yard quicker than Nathan Astle and a yard slower than Scott Styris.

On Chris Drum, a couple of people have mentioned him being a tall bowler in the Kyle Mills mould but I don't think he was like that at all...not saying he was short, but he was very much pitch it up and swing it, "along the wicket" style. NZ have had other bowlers like Shayne O'Connor and Simon Doull who were like Drum, tall guys who were nevertheless swing bowlers of a gentle pace who really didn't get bounce at all.
Yeah, I mentioned Mills because from memory that is whose action he reminded me of, but you're right he was a swing bowler in the O'Connor/Doull mould.

I remember Penn was remarkably candid about that game where he lost it. I don't think he played much at international level after that. Incidentally, Mark Reason's article in the Dom Post today is all about how players can lose it under pressure.

"I had an anxiety attack. I seized up. I didn't want to bowl the ball," he said at the time.

"The pressure got to me and I had a fear of releasing the ball ... I just hope I get another chance."
Cricket: Chance for Penn to put nightmare behind him - Sport - NZ Herald News

Last edited:

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Yeah I remember Andrew Penn. Only played 5 ODIs for NZ (last one 2001 against Sri Lanka according to Cricinfo ) and retired 2004 siting injuries and joining a law firm and couldn't play rep cricket any more.
Seemed to be part of a long list of batsman and bowlers in the middle 1990s to early 2000s called up to the Blackcaps side for a few matches and just not up to international cricket. i,e Kerry Walmsley , Murphey Su'a , Glenn Suzlburger , Alex Tait , Blair Pocock , Heath Davis , Tama Canning , Richard De Groan , the list could go on. Under Fleming the side seemed to become more stable after the early 2000s though,

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I remember Andrew Penn. Only played 5 ODIs for NZ (last one 2001 against Sri Lanka according to Cricinfo ) and retired 2004 siting injuries and joining a law firm and couldn't play rep cricket any more.
Seemed to be part of a long list of batsman and bowlers in the middle 1990s to early 2000s called up to the Blackcaps side for a few matches and just not up to international cricket. i,e Kerry Walmsley , Murphey Su'a , Glenn Suzlburger , Alex Tait , Blair Pocock , Heath Davis , Tama Canning , Richard De Groan , the list could go on. Under Fleming the side seemed to become more stable after the early 2000s though,
Blasphemy! Heef will soon be upon you to ensure you adequately repent from these lies!

Flem274*

123/5
we almost beat the 90s west indies in the west indies with a bowling attack almost entirely composed of guys who never really made it*

*danny morrison may or may not have had the game of his life

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, I remember saying something disparaging about him a few years back and Flem leapt to his defence.

I do think he would have been a better test bowler than he was in ODI
I was once a fierce advocate for Andrew Penn. He was an excellent first class bowler but never a good limited overs player. I was outraged when he got selected for ODIs instead of tests and then predictably bottled it, stuffing his career.

I remember Chris Drum too. He had great stats but I remember being very disappointed actually seeing him play. His action was quite similar to Mills but he was really slow and just didn't have the variety or guile needed to be dangerous at his pace.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Blasphemy! Heef will soon be upon you to ensure you adequately repent from these lies!
Heath Davis 5 ODIs at economy rate of 6 an over and 11 tests . NZ cricket legend lol

Blair Pocock was quire possibly the most awful opening batsman for NZ of the modern era 15 tests at an average of 22. Just proves NZ were scraping at the bottom of the barrel for talent in the 90s

Last edited:

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
I was once a fierce advocate for Andrew Penn. He was an excellent first class bowler but never a good limited overs player. I was outraged when he got selected for ODIs instead of tests and then predictably bottled it, stuffing his career.

I remember Chris Drum too. He had great stats but I remember being very disappointed actually seeing him play. His action was quite similar to Mills but he was really slow and just didn't have the variety or guile needed to be dangerous at his pace.
Andrew Penn took 250 wickets with the red ball in first class 4 day events at an economy rate of 2.75 !! His ODI stats are no way near as good , 88 wickets at an economy rate of 4.75 . Mystery why he was thrown in for ODIs . Only 5 matches at that and never given a chance with the red ball. Another great decision by selectors.

Chris Drum was getting better and better by 2002. However he was not on a central contract and NZ was only playing 5 tests the next year , not enough in match fees to take out 6 months. So he quit.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Heath Davis 5 ODIs at economy rate of 6 an over and 11 tests . NZ cricket legend lol

Blair Pocock was quire possibly the most awful opening batsman for NZ of the modern era 15 tests at an average of 22. Just proves NZ were scraping at the bottom of the barrel for talent in the 90s
He certainly is. Perhaps not for the right reasons, but he's definitely a legend of NZ cricket.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Andrew Penn took 250 wickets with the red ball in first class 4 day events at an economy rate of 2.75 !! His ODI stats are no way near as good , 88 wickets at an economy rate of 4.75 . Mystery why he was thrown in for ODIs . Only 5 matches at that and never given a chance with the red ball. Another great decision by selectors.

Chris Drum was getting better and better by 2002. However he was not on a central contract and NZ was only playing 5 tests the next year , not enough in match fees to take out 6 months. So he quit.
Two things.

4.78, while 'at the time' might've been a high E/R (and today probably normal) his SR was quite good, and he'd be in the side as a strike bowler, not a miserly, choking bowler.

Also, ODIs was often the common 'breaking in' format that most countries employed to see how players would handle international cricket.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Two things.

4.78, while 'at the time' might've been a high E/R (and today probably normal) his SR was quite good, and he'd be in the side as a strike bowler, not a miserly, choking bowler.

Also, ODIs was often the common 'breaking in' format that most countries employed to see how players would handle international cricket.
Yeah I suppose but the stats say he was a genuine red ball bowler