• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Children's Cricket Stories

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Bit of an update - have stumbled across www.lulu.com today as an online self-publishing site and am particularly tempted to use it as a first base - so to speak - towards getting the book out in the open.

However, it means I need a front and back cover designing and I'm no good at all with Photoshop. I know that there are plenty of people around who are, so I'm looking now for design ideas and volunteers to get this together.

With luck, we could get hard copies in a very short space of time - how much would people be willing to pay for a) downloading as PDF (e-book) and b) full paperbacks?

Chubb

International Regular
If you want this thing published properly, you'd be better off using your money to get an agent. That way, publishing companies will look at your stuff, rather than just chucking on the pile with all the other unsolicited manuscripts they get sent. Impress an agent, and you're done. Also make sure if you do use that site they have adequate copy protection.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Here you are, in all its glory... - Obviously I'm not expecting anyone to buy it (at least until the UK printing is available, the P&P is prohibitive), that's just there for me to get copies run off from right now - though if you fancy downloading it for £2, that's also good.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I got a decent idea for a story:_

In a Nutshell, the story follows a Young Lad who joins a Local cricket club and there are a lot of Politics involved and a rival family come to the cricket club and try and take over and force this talented kid out

a bit crap but a good read if applyed well

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
There's a bit of politics in the sequel. That's as much as I'm telling. For now, you can download and read the first one. (It's two quid, come on, how many books do you get cheaper than that this side of a charity shop?)

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Did the scorecards end up in there or not? (I suppose that depends on whether there are enough monkeys with his-res scanners in Exeter)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jungle Jumbo said:
Did the scorecards end up in there or not? (I suppose that depends on whether there are enough monkeys with his-res scanners in Exeter)
No, they didn't. Keeps the costs down. I'll do an add-on pack with all the scorecards and stats one day, perhaps.

Now, who wants to own up to downloading the first copy of it?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chris.hinton said:

In a Nutshell, the story follows a Young Lad who joins a Local cricket club and there are a lot of Politics involved and a rival family come to the cricket club and try and take over and force this talented kid out

Hahaha this bloke's a genius.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Volty, I accept the innuendo of most of them, but where the hell did it come from in 'The Right Line'??? I can't find it :p

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Barney Rubble said:
Volty, I accept the innuendo of most of them, but where the hell did it come from in 'The Right Line'??? I can't find it :p

That's not Voltmans problem, read some books about it or something.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If.. only if.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Seeing as I'm far too lazy to properly attempt to get this published - and if I'm honest I thoroughly enjoy writing this series anyway - I'm seriously considering making Bradstock I available for free download, purely as I want as much feedback as is possible.

How many of you would give it a read and give me some feedback?