• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chappell Wants Ganguly Out - Emails BCCI.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
You are absolutely spot on. In cricketing circles in India it is well known that Gavaskar is in Ganguly's corner (his feeble attempts at neutrality not withstanding) and Shastri in any camp oposed to Ganguly :D
I am glad you noticed his as well.

shankar

International Debutant
Slow Love™ said:
According to Sambit Bal, this is (in the shrillest voice possible) "cynical at the best and a shameful abdication of moral values at the worst!!!!" 8-)

But anyhow, this article corresponds with a lot of my thoughts on the matter. Maybe (if Ganguly is removed, as he should be), Chappell will emerge as a success, but though I'm a huge fan of his as a player, I certainly have my doubts about his communication and coaching skills, and I'm a bit amazed at the savior-like stature he's regarded in by some quarters in India. Time will tell, I suppose.

BTW, this real-time coverage of the meeting in Mumbai at cricinfo is priceless.... :)
Agreed. Ganguly may have acted like an idiot but Chappell has shown a complete lack of any tact or subtlety through all this.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
lionheart said:
I don't know anything about Indian cricket, so forgive my ignorance but if Ganguly is dropped who would replace him as a batsmen?
You, me, George Bush.....anyone !

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JustTool said:
Just read this on another site. Perfect summary:

Postbox: September 27
Monday September 26 2005

A cricket365 reader reckons the captain's to blame

The rift between Sourav Ganguly and Greg Chappell was waiting to happen.
Not without reason did John Wright part ways with a team he had moulded so well.

The players - that the media claims are supporting Ganguly - are only doing so because they would be languishing on the streets if most of them had been assessed on their performance and not their friendship with the captain.

A bowler who has failed time and again in finals is probably the one responsible for India not having the World Cup. Two very good fielders who think batting is an additional responsibility. A dashing batsman that scores once in 10 matches. A chucker who is miles away in class from the masterly Anil Kumble at whose expense he plays.

All these back a Skipper that has not got a one-day international 50 since the World Cup. Who after more than a decade in international cricket is poorer than the Gully cricketers in facing the short pitched balls.

The skipper misses the exercise regime, does not report to the conditioning camps, arrives just in time for departure, is the poorest fielder in world cricket, and gets run-out by not getting to the crease for the fear of the ball hitting him.

Give me a break. The matches are all telecast and we have all seen it. I've been watching cricket for the last two decades and playing it for the same number of years. Cricket, played for passion has been subdued. Now it's: cricket, the money generator.
Naren Kaushik
Hear hear hear !!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

adharcric

International Coach
Mahendra: henceforth everybody will be assessed purely on his performance, whether it's the coach, the captain or any other player

***way to make a fool of yourself and your BCCI, which has admittedly been selecting on grounds apart from performance up until now, under your authority ... good job

Mahendra: Chappell's allegations were far from the truth ... the captain and coach will work for the best interests of Indian cricket

***since chappell's allegations seem pretty plausible considering what we've seen of ganguly, could this be implying that the BCCI is going to retain not one, but two potentially low-character individuals at the helm of the national cricket team? (make that three, including Mahendra himself)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
***since chappell's allegations seem pretty plausible considering what we've seen of ganguly, could this be implying that the BCCI is going to retain not one, but two potentially low-character individuals at the helm of the national cricket team? (make that three, including Mahendra himself)
There is no need for personal attack on players. Just because you dont agree with them doesn't mean they have low character or anything. Avg. fickle minded fan, who changes his opinion after every win/loss, was hoping for something drastic or radical and probably much more drama such as Chappell resigning or Ganguly being sacked etc etc.

Have patience, It may look bad today but something good is definately going to come out in the near future, Here is what I think is going to happen in next few months :-

* Ganguly is either going to get his form back or is going to be sacked which is a good thing.
* Zonal selector system is going in the dust bin and best selectors are going to be picked
* Players' indiscpline, performance,attitude will be closely monitored

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/220348.html

A dramatic change in the composition of the national selection panel is on the cards after the review committee of the Board of Control for Cricket in India recommended that the system of picking one selector from each zone be done away with. The review committee believed that this would greatly reduce the chances of players being picked on regional bias rather than merit.

According to sources close to the action in the meeting on Tuesday, Greg Chappell, the coach, was also strongly in favour of this move, and suggested that the best men ought to be picking the best possible XI to play for the country only on merit.

The review committee made several recommendations that will be taken up at the next working committee meeting of the board, to be held early next month - a salient one being that the selectors are considering a two-captain format, splitting the captaincy of the Test and one-day teams. The review committee believed that this would pose no problems for the players, for several senior members of the side had anyway played under more than one captain in their time.

Another aspect the review committee took strong exception to was the behaviour of certain members of the team on and off the field, and spoke of specific instances of misbehaviour during the tri-series in Sri Lanka. There is concern that the team as a whole could be affected if this behaviour went unchecked. "Discipline is a top priority, both on and off the field," the source revealed. "Indiscipline will not be tolerated at all, and Harbhajan Singh's recent outburst against Chappell - where he slammed him for double standards and instilling a sense of fear and insecurity - will be viewed seriously. At the very least, a reprimand from the board president is on the cards."

It is also learned that Chappell brought up the sensitive issue of confidentiality, especially in matters of team selection, strongly in the meeting. He is believed to have stressed the need for selectors and officials not to take feedback he has given about a specific player back to the same player. Also he is believed to have told the review committee that he was concerned about the fact that the team was not always fielding the best possible eleven, for whatever reason.

It has also come to light that Chappell told the panel that he had sent a detailed email on Sourav Ganguly only in keeping with his aim to make the Indian team one of the best sides in the world. He believed that he needed to clearly communicate to the board his continued vision and "commitment to excellence" for which he was hired in the first place.

Switching over to the other side, it is learned that Ganguly brought written documentation to answer each and every question Chappell raised in his email to the board. However, after Ganguly had made his points to the panel, they returned the copies of the papers he had brought, to avoid any chance of a leak going out from the board's side.

While Ganguly was largely calm and composed as he went over one point after another, it is understood that he became a touch emotional when it came to the allegation that he was running away from fast bowling. "What will the public think of me?" he asked, and went on to cite the example of the Melbourne Test of 2003, when he came up the order and batted at No. 4 in an attempt to give Sachin Tendulkar, who was struggling a bit for form, some breathing space in the middle order.

Ganguly also admitted that he had made an error in judgment when he spoke to the media about being asked to step down from the captaincy, after the third day of the Bulawayo Test. In the same vein, though, it is learned that Jagmohan Dalmiya, the former president of the BCCI, asked Chappell to refrain from sending emails and text messages to friends connected with cricket, and friends in the media.

The review committee also recommended that there was no need, at this juncture, to hand long-terms contracts to the likes of Ian Frazer and Charles Krebs, who have been enlisted to help the team on a series-by-series basis.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Adamc said:
But it's not supposed to be "out in the open" - it was a leaked document. Though Chappell probably realised that any written correspondence was likely to be leaked, anyway.
Very good point Adam C. I suspect he knew it would be leaked which in turn then has to force everyones hand ,rather than just go through the motions with someone he obviosly does not should be leading or perhaps even playing for India, i think you hit the nail on the head and Gangully has done exactly as G Chappell would have hoped he done.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sanz said:
There is no need for personal attack on players. Just because you dont agree with them doesn't mean they have low character or anything. Avg. fickle minded fan, who changes his opinion after every win/loss, was hoping for something drastic or radical and probably much more drama such as Chappell resigning or Ganguly being sacked etc etc.

Have patience, It may look bad today but something good is definately going to come out in the near future, Here is what I think is going to happen in next few months :-

* Ganguly is either going to get his form back or is going to be sacked which is a good thing.
* Zonal selector system is going in the dust bin and best selectors are going to be picked
* Players' indiscpline, performance,attitude will be closely monitored

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/220348.html

A dramatic change in the composition of the national selection panel is on the cards after the review committee of the Board of Control for Cricket in India recommended that the system of picking one selector from each zone be done away with. The review committee believed that this would greatly reduce the chances of players being picked on regional bias rather than merit.

According to sources close to the action in the meeting on Tuesday, Greg Chappell, the coach, was also strongly in favour of this move, and suggested that the best men ought to be picking the best possible XI to play for the country only on merit.

The review committee made several recommendations that will be taken up at the next working committee meeting of the board, to be held early next month - a salient one being that the selectors are considering a two-captain format, splitting the captaincy of the Test and one-day teams. The review committee believed that this would pose no problems for the players, for several senior members of the side had anyway played under more than one captain in their time.

Another aspect the review committee took strong exception to was the behaviour of certain members of the team on and off the field, and spoke of specific instances of misbehaviour during the tri-series in Sri Lanka. There is concern that the team as a whole could be affected if this behaviour went unchecked. "Discipline is a top priority, both on and off the field," the source revealed. "Indiscipline will not be tolerated at all, and Harbhajan Singh's recent outburst against Chappell - where he slammed him for double standards and instilling a sense of fear and insecurity - will be viewed seriously. At the very least, a reprimand from the board president is on the cards."

It is also learned that Chappell brought up the sensitive issue of confidentiality, especially in matters of team selection, strongly in the meeting. He is believed to have stressed the need for selectors and officials not to take feedback he has given about a specific player back to the same player. Also he is believed to have told the review committee that he was concerned about the fact that the team was not always fielding the best possible eleven, for whatever reason.

It has also come to light that Chappell told the panel that he had sent a detailed email on Sourav Ganguly only in keeping with his aim to make the Indian team one of the best sides in the world. He believed that he needed to clearly communicate to the board his continued vision and "commitment to excellence" for which he was hired in the first place.

Switching over to the other side, it is learned that Ganguly brought written documentation to answer each and every question Chappell raised in his email to the board. However, after Ganguly had made his points to the panel, they returned the copies of the papers he had brought, to avoid any chance of a leak going out from the board's side.

While Ganguly was largely calm and composed as he went over one point after another, it is understood that he became a touch emotional when it came to the allegation that he was running away from fast bowling. "What will the public think of me?" he asked, and went on to cite the example of the Melbourne Test of 2003, when he came up the order and batted at No. 4 in an attempt to give Sachin Tendulkar, who was struggling a bit for form, some breathing space in the middle order.

Ganguly also admitted that he had made an error in judgment when he spoke to the media about being asked to step down from the captaincy, after the third day of the Bulawayo Test. In the same vein, though, it is learned that Jagmohan Dalmiya, the former president of the BCCI, asked Chappell to refrain from sending emails and text messages to friends connected with cricket, and friends in the media.

The review committee also recommended that there was no need, at this juncture, to hand long-terms contracts to the likes of Ian Frazer and Charles Krebs, who have been enlisted to help the team on a series-by-series basis.
Well, you offer me some hope (actually, a LOT of hope). Let's all just hope that all this pans out this way. My beef with Sourav is not about his integrity as such, but the fact that he is really not in good enough form to merit a place in either side. Perhaps, his lack of form may have affected him mentally and forced him to do things that he, on another day, might not have done. But I hope and pray that things turn out the way you have put it in your post, Sanz.