• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chappell joins Buchanan-bash

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It’s not even what they’re saying that I have a problem with. They both think Buchanan’s idea is stupid. Fair enough. I agree. Chappell thinks the influence a coach has on a team is over-rated. Again, fair call. But they have to make it personal. They have to make snide remarks like ‘my daughter’ and ‘pixie-land’. Don’t they realise the only person who they’re making look bad is themselves? My low opinion of both as people is constantly confirmed by the petty rubbish that comes out of their mouths.
Sick of the Buchanan bashing tbh. Might not have been the best coach going around, but surely he provided something valuble during his tenure.
Couldn't agree more with both of these TBH, said just about exactly what I would.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Have never had much respect for Ian Chappell's opinions, started off with his relentless attacks on pretty much everything Steve Waugh ever did, completely devoid of logic.

He just seems a very stubborn old man, extremely pig-headed and incapable of changing his opinions....and as Burr said, making things personal in the public domain when its completely uneccesary just lowers opinions of him further.

All credit to Buchanan for the very mature and proffesional manner in which he's responded to these rants, he must be laughing on the inside.

Craig

World Traveller
He helped Queensland get their first ever domestic title, so he's alright for mine. Didn't he get sacked as the coach of Middlesex?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It’s not even what they’re saying that I have a problem with. They both think Buchanan’s idea is stupid. Fair enough. I agree. Chappell thinks the influence a coach has on a team is over-rated. Again, fair call. But they have to make it personal. They have to make snide remarks like ‘my daughter’ and ‘pixie-land’. Don’t they realise the only person who they’re making look bad is themselves? My low opinion of both as people is constantly confirmed by the petty rubbish that comes out of their mouths.
Great post.

river end

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
When you read any Ian Chappell comments keep in mind -

Apparently he hates cricket team coaches and he was rubbishing them at least 10 years ago or more.

It's not just Buchanan - he rubbished Bob Simpson's role as Australian team coach as well

river end

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Chappell seems to come out when an Australian coach gets praise or hype in the media and then he downplays it.
It happened after Simpson was coach and seems to have happened a bit with Buchanan.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Chappell seems to come out when an Australian coach gets praise or hype in the media and then he downplays it.
It happened after Simpson was coach and seems to have happened a bit with Buchanan.
Yeah, but why make it personal? Why not give good reasons to downplay the hype?

MattO

Cricket Spectator
Simmo is by far the best coach Australia has had and even he was over-rated.

Buchanan likes to keep getting his name in the print as he's quickly being forgotton as he should be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He'll be forgotten a damn sight slower if Chappell, Warne et al keep going-on about him!