• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can't Keep Can Bat

King_Ponting

International Regular
C_C said:
Gillchrist is an okay keeper...steady...but i wouldnt put his gloveswork in the same level as Healey/Mongia/Rashid latif/Kirmani/Marsh/Dujon/Dereyck Murray/Knott/Bari etc.
Definantly wouldnt have mongia in taht list

C_C

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
Definantly wouldnt have mongia in taht list

Have you seen mongia keep to spinners ? He is simply one of the best glovesmen to have gone around in cricket.

C_C

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd say Gilchrist is as good as someone like Marsh or Dujon. He's behind guys like Healy, Knott, Russell etc, who are the top eschelon of all-time great glovesmen. He's as good as "very good" guys like Dujon and Marsh, who once again didn't have to keep to someone like Warne. Keeping to Lillee and Marshall is a lot easier, when it comes down to it.

For a balance between batting and keeping, Knott is the best ever. His keeping was superlative, to the pace bowlers as well as Underwood and so on, and his batting was very good as well. Gilchrist still makes an all-time XI ahead of anyone else though, based on his perfectly servicable keeping and brilliant batting.
Umm... Dujon was easily better than Gilly as a keeper...he wasnt any great shakes as a keeper against spin but he was Gilly-like against them... plus he was a considerably better keeper against pace(as good as anyone ever really)...remember he kept to Gibbs in FC cricket and the like and Gibbs was no easy spinner to keep to... Knott is one of the best keepers to've played the game but he isnt quiete the 'top 5' keeper ever.... Bob Taylor, Wasim Bari, Jackie Hendrix,etc. were what you call 'best of the very best' when it came to gloveswork.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
IMHO, McCullum will mature as a keeper and improve as time goes on.

Gilchrist is definitily good, but not the best ever. For my mind, no current keeper in Australia comes close (unless there is an up and coming rookie I'm not aware of) but he is also human and makes mistakes, like any keeper.

Good keepers help in dismissals, great keepers create them.

Who said that?

C_C

International Captain
NZTailender said:

Gilchrist is definitily good, but not the best ever. For my mind, no current keeper in Australia comes close (unless there is an up and coming rookie I'm not aware of) but he is also human and makes mistakes, like any keeper.

Who said that?
Yes, McCallum has great glovework really....
I am impressed by the glovework shown by Dinesh Ramdin, the PAK kid and Chris Reid.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
NZTailender said:

Who said that?
I was playing against Brendon McCullum when I was about 16 and he was 12-13. He was standing up to his team's opening bowler, who was bowling at a pretty good clip for the grade we were playing. A ball slipped down the legside and WHAMMO! - Bazza had whipped the balls off and enacted easily the best stumping I've seen live.

He's always had that special talent, it's just a matter of him concentrating pretty much every ball, which I think is his weakness at the moment.