• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cant blame the world if they are laughing at us

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
At first I thought the PCB was at times farcial, but I think this levels it or beats it.
As far as the race for better administration of cricket in their respective countries is concerned both the big boys in the sub continent are tied neck to neck.......as they run in the opposite direction from the starting line :sleep:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
,,,,,it is impossible not to be aghast by the impropriety of it. To say Greg Chappell should have known better is cynical at the best and a shameful abdication of moral values at the worst. First, the captain finds an opportune moment to make public a private conversation between him and the coach. And then a sensitive confidential letter written to the board president is made available to the media. As betrayal of trust, this must rank pretty low. Can we blame Tom Moody for saying a quiet prayer of thanks that he didn't get the job that Chappell did.

Sourav Ganguly, if he believed he commanded a place in the team, can't be faulted for feeling incensed at the suggestion from the man appointed to help him with his job that he didn't belong. He would have been within his rights to rail and remonstrate, and indeed take up the matter strongly with the board. Yet he felt compelled and emboldened by a century against the softest bowling attack in the world cricket to let the world know that his feat was achieved against great odds. God knows what was he trying to achieve? Gain public sympathy? Turn the tables on Chappell? Precipitate action from the board?

There are those who believe Chappell exceeded his brief. And that he failed to work within the system. But what was his brief? It was a brief that he wrote for himself, and the one that got him the job: a vision statement that made it clear that he was looking to build a team for the future, a team that was fit in body and mind, a team with an ambition to win. Should he be crucified for being true to his belief, and showing the courage to stand up for it? It is no secret that Ganguly backed Chappell for the job. What could Chappell possibly gain from antagonising him? And what can Indian cricket gain from Chappell being obsequious towards Ganguly?

Of course, little of this will matter to men for whom Indian cricket is a ticket to power and fame. And that's putting it the best possible way. As the sham carried out in Kolkata over the last two days has underlined once again, the welfare of cricket is generally the last item on the agenda, if it is there at all, when BCCI's powerbrokers meet to stake their claim to the booty.

Sambit Bal - Editor Cricinfo

shankar

International Debutant
Very convenient that the e-mail which was supposedly sent by Chappell before his 'truce' with Ganguly got leaked out at the same time the farcicial AGM was going on deflecting the attention.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
shankar said:
Very convenient that the e-mail which was supposedly sent by Chappell before his 'truce' with Ganguly got leaked out at the same time the farcicial AGM was going on deflecting the attention.
Yes.

Mr Dalmiya, realising that he may not be able to win (his nominee that is) wanted to buy time to broker further deals with the opposition and the voters. What better way to do it than use the crisis in Indian Cricket as an excuse even if it meant creating/deepening the crisis

Shounak

Banned
SJS said:
Yes.

Mr Dalmiya, realising that he may not be able to win (his nominee that is) wanted to buy time to broker further deals with the opposition and the voters. What better way to do it than use the crisis in Indian Cricket as an excuse even if it meant creating/deepening the crisis
Didn't even think of that..

Is this what Indian cricket has come down to? Makes me feel ashamed to be an Indian if we're represented by this mob..

Truly dispicable..

aliG

School Boy/Girl Captain
Langeveldt said:
Chill out, it could be a lot worse.. You could be a West Indies/Zimbabwe/Bangladesh fan, or have your players picked for your team because of their skin colour....

or upgrade what was called cheating to reverse swing and act like youre number one...

o wait.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
shounak said:
Is this what Indian cricket has come down to? Makes me feel ashamed to be an Indian if we're represented by this mob..
most likely the politics has been this dirty(or maybe even dirtier) for a long time now, it's just that some of the dirtier aspects are being exposed now....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am still positive that something good is going to come out of all this mess. Call it my instinct, gut feeling, whatever... I kept telling my cousins that the Zim series would probably be Ganguly's last and I still think that will be the case.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
Chill out, it could be a lot worse.. You could be a West Indies/Zimbabwe/Bangladesh fan
They can't be that bad. There are more than a few good things about that West Indian side, which you find missing in the Indian team.

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah Brian Lara and Sachin Tendulkar (at full flow) in the batting line-up and are batting together :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
most likely the politics has been this dirty(or maybe even dirtier) for a long time now, it's just that some of the dirtier aspects are being exposed now....
Thats right.

The other difference is that earlier the murkier aspects of the politics revolved around refionalism so that you could play players from one region at the cost of others while today it revolves more around the money that the game generates and is controlled in a non-transparent manner by the 'honourary (read un accountable) gentlemen of the board. The regionalism is tackled by throwing bones at the dis-honourable gentlemen who run the local bodies to buy their votes and keep them quiet (read indirect partners to the crime)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Craig said:
Yeah Brian Lara and Sachin Tendulkar (at full flow) in the batting line-up and are batting together :D
It is such a shame that we will probably never get to see that, isn't it? :(

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here we go again _ its a former BCCI president this time !
Here are some juicy excerpts ;

Ganguly knows he has the license to kill as long as Dalmiya is there

He (Harbhajan) should concentrate on his arm, rather than talk about whether Ganguly is right or wrong,

Ganguly is so emboldened by this spineless .... former ICC chief (Dalmiya) he has now no qualms in undermining coach Greg Chappell and openly challenging him

Once a chucker always a chucker (Harbhajan)

If Dalmiya did not rule Indian cricket, Ganguly would have gone a long time ago.
They will try and thrash out a compromise, but for how long that works remains to be seen.
The same panel which appointed Chappell just three months ago is unlikely to turn against him

He (also) spoke about Harbhajan being a perpetual defaulter in this regard (discipline) and how he was even known to tear up dietary charts whenever vexed with coaching regimens.

Raj Singh Dungarpur
- Scion of a small princely state
- Former decent first class medium pacer
- former chairman of selectors
- Former BCCI president
- Lover and , some say secretly married to, India's greatest living singing legend
- Known for having his foot perpetually in his mouth
- known for struggling/sriving but not giving up his struggle to get a Mumbai wallah back to head the BCCI
- known friend-turned-foe-turned-friend-turned foe of Dalmia and sundry other cricket administrators
- known for his radical and ever changing-ever evolving views on cricket besides everything else​

sorry I have to stop, this list wont end . Lets say Mr Dungarpur is a colourful many hued person.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Harbhajan puts his foot in his mouth, it hurts, takes it out and tries with the other foot !!

“Koi mere pe daag lagaye to mein zaroor bolunga, chaahe iska anjaam kuchh bhi ho (If someone says wrong things about me, I will definitely speak up whatever the consequences). I will speak up even if they don’t pick me to play.”

He denied that Chappell had made any negative remarks to him directly but said he had learnt that his professionalism and integrity had been questioned. Asked whether he had been told as much by Ganguly, he denied adding that he had not spoken to Ganguly on the matter and had heard of it from the media.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Raj Singh Dungurpur isn't a pragaon of vitrue either. He, like many, is mad at Dalmiya for obvious reasons and his burst in the media is extremely childish and in poor taste. If Indian cricket is in such a poor state then Raj Singh is responsible for it too. Years ago he appointed Azhar as captain (because he was an easy puppet) over Shastri/Srikanth (who were much better leaders than Azhar) and we all know how much harm it did to the Indian cricket in 90s.

Here at one hand people are questioning Bhajji's statement to teh media and same people at the other hand are clapping and posting all the 'juicy' stories. Harbhajan is cleared by the ICC and who is dungurpur to say that 'Once a chucker always a chucker' ? Is that the kind of replacment we want for Dalmiya ? Who is he to say that Ganguly has 'No place in the future of Indian Cricket' ? Ganguly clearly has done more to Indian cricket than Rajsingh will ever do.

Ganguly made the mistake of going into the media and that's it, apart from that I dont see him doing anything wrong. It is not his job to drop himself, If his performance isn't upto the mark, then BCCI should drop him. Also I dont believe in all these speculations about Dalmiya-Ganguly-Mahindra nexus etc.

greg

International Debutant
Is there going to be a team for England to play against come March?

Perhaps it'll be like some of the early Ashes tours with different rival teams claiming to represent the true India? :-O

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
He (also) spoke about Harbhajan being a perpetual defaulter in this regard (discipline) and how he was even known to tear up dietary charts whenever vexed with coaching regimens.
Everyone knows that Harbhajan has a problem with Chappell's way or working/training but this is the biggest ******** and lie I have heard about Harbhajan again and again. The truth on the matter is during his stint @ NCA (aka National Cricket Academy), Players were told about how they should have a proper diet and follow the Diet Chart given to them, but after that speech these trainees would be served with tomato Soup or some other crap food. It went on for a months or so, Harbhajan and some other guys demanded that the either Diet Chart be followed or remove it from there. Needless to say that the powers @ NCA didn't listen and eventually Bhajji (and Murali Karthik) got mad after same crap was served to them and they tore the Diet Chart.

And this is a fact, check with any journalist worth his salt and he will tell you how right I am on this.

greg

International Debutant
Sanz said:
3-0 for England is a real possiblity now. :)
Would it be too controversial to suggest 2-0 and a riot against the the Indian board causing the abandonment of the tour? :p

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
If Indian cricket is in such a poor state then Raj Singh is responsible for it too. Years ago he appointed Azhar as captain (because he was an easy puppet) over Shastri/Srikanth (who were much better leaders than Azhar) and we all know how much harm it did to the Indian cricket in 90s.
Ironically Sanjay Manjrekar also talks about Why Azza was made captain :-

"For instance, when Mohammed Azharuddin was made captain for the first time in 1990 for the tour of New Zealand, it was to break the core of senior players that was threatening the BCCI’s authority. That was an instance of politics deciding the Indian captaincy. "

http://web.mid-day.com/sports/national/2005/september/119602.htm