• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you beat for the cricket guru title?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Somerset has gone away without posting question, for a fair while now, I will post another one as usual :naughty: !! : **ssed: :mad2: !!

Another easy one !! (Person answering this must post next question with the answer!! )

Question

Brisbane Test of 1982 achieved 2 records , one has subsequently been superseded but the other is still a record !! What are they ?
I'm really sorry Jason, I've been fairly busy lately and had forgotten to check on the thread, sorry mate.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
CLUE: It is a bowling record and is something that cannot be achieved in one match, ie accumulated over a few Tests

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The Baconator said:
3 man of the match awards?
Lance Gibbs only won one Man of the Match in Tests and One Man of the series award in his entire career !! Unfortunately he played Test Cricket at a time when Man of the Match awards were not given and he only played 3 ODI s in his entire career !!

I think this question is an obscurity which Burkey has picked out !! :D :D

Has it got anything to do with longest bowling spells at this ground ?

Most wickets is by Ambrose and Walsh . Gibbs is third in both Tests and First Class at this ground !!

Last edited:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Most wickets is by Ambrose and Walsh . Gibbs is third in both Tests and First Class at this ground !!
This is actually the answer (50 wickets at P-o-S) ... yet again, Jason has got the better of me... I am so embarassed that my sources are wrong ... I probably won't show my face around cricketweb for a few days now

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
This is actually the answer (50 wickets at P-o-S) ... yet again, Jason has got the better of me... I am so embarassed that my sources are wrong ... I probably won't show my face around cricketweb for a few days now
It happens to all of us Mate, and please don't stay away from this thread !! :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

A cricketer who achieved amazing success for 2 countries, he is one of the few bowlers to have achieved A feat 3 times for the 2 countries!! He also stands 2nd in a major bowling achievement/record !!

Unfortunately he was to die at a tender age of 33 in the country (against whom he played his last Test), against whom he went to serve in War for his second country !!

Who is this great cricketer ? What are the feats/ achievements ?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
Is it JJ Ferris? He died serving in the Boer War
I'm pretty sure it is

from cricinfo:
JJ Ferris was a deadly left-arm swing bowler who played Test cricket for Australia and England. In his eight Tests for the Aussies, Ferris wreaked havoc alongside Charlie Turner. His first act as a Test player was to bowl England out for 45, at Sydney in 1886-87, when he and Turner bowled unchanged. He later settled in England, for whom he played one Test, at Cape Town in 1891-92. Ferris took 13 for 91 in the match (he took 263 wickets on the tour) and ended up with 61 wickets at the amazing average of 12.70. He was only 33 when he died of enteric fever in Durban in 1900 during the Boer War where he was serving with the British army.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
The Baconator said:
This seems too obvious but is it 5-fors? I know he took 6.
And is the major record average, where he is 2nd to George Lohmann?
It's not five-fors ... he took four for Australia and two for England in his only test for England

You might be right on the average though

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
Is it JJ Ferris? He died serving in the Boer War
It is JJ Ferris. The feat he achieved three times, twice for Australia and once for England was bowling unchanged in an innings. the first 2 times with Charlie Turner for Australia v England (dismissing England for 45 and 62 respectively in 1886-7 and 1888) and the next was with F.Martin for England v South Africa in 1891-2 when SA was dismissed for 83.

Only 3 bowlers have done this feat (of bowling unchanged in an innings ) 3 times - Charlie Turner, JJ Ferris and England's Johnny Briggs. George Lohman being the only person to have done it 4 times !!

Its your turn to post question. :) :)

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

Read the 2 following stories ! :D :D Then give at least 3 common things that link the 2 individuals concerned (of whom the anecdotes are about) :p :D !

A characteristic story of ............... used to be told by George Hearne. Joining his captain, who was well set and batting in fine form, Hearne, almost directly he went in, found himself called upon to attempt a sharp single. To Hearne’s idea there existed no chance of a run being obtained and he momentarily hesitated but, seeing the captain coming, Hearne responded and, as he expected, was run out several yards. As he retired from the wicket, Hearne had to pass the Captain who — very hot-tempered as a young man — muttered, "Damn little fool. Serve you jolly well right. Why the devil don’t you come when you’re called?" Having sacrificed his own wicket to save that of his captain, Hearne naturally thought these words rather hard. Some time later the Captain got out and walked across to where Hearne and the other professionals were sitting. "George," said he, "that was no run." "No, my lord," replied George, "I didn’t think it was." "Why then did you come?" he was asked. "Well, I saw you coming and thought your wicket was worth more than mine." "Another time I do a silly thing like that," said the captain, "don’t you come. I beg your pardon."

' His treatment of a drunken Bobby Peel has gone into the game’s folklore – he ******ed him off the field and, as Peel himself sarcastically noted: "............. put his arm round me and helped me off the ground - and out of first-class cricket. What a gentleman!" '

Last edited: