• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

buying a cricketbat online

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Ez all, maybe not the most common question you hear every day but as cricket is rarther unknow by the mainstream and the only option to get your gear is going overseas or the worldwideweb I was just wondering how you could be able to select/ buy a decent bat online without feeling it, keeping it in your hands, comparing it to other bats.

One of my friends who has been active in cricket for over more then 40 years ( 15 years as a player and 25 years as a coach) explained me all the differences between the bats while he took me to a sportshop.

As you all know a decent bat goes for a decent amount and it's always tricky to choose something if you're not 100% sure.

So any feedback on this would be appreciated.:happy:

In case I posted this in the wrong section, my sincere apologies.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You could get a decent custom made bat, The bat maker would talk to you through every stage of the creation process and could keep you updated with regular picks etc.
Obviously there would be added cost for shipping, I know a fair number of bat makers that would be able to do this for you.
Prices vary depending on grade of willow, if your interested PM me. :D

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ez all, maybe not the most common question you hear every day but as cricket is rarther unknow by the mainstream and the only option to get your gear is going overseas or the worldwideweb I was just wondering how you could be able to select/ buy a decent bat online without feeling it, keeping it in your hands, comparing it to other bats.

One of my friends who has been active in cricket for over more then 40 years ( 15 years as a player and 25 years as a coach) explained me all the differences between the bats while he took me to a sportshop.

As you all know a decent bat goes for a decent amount and it's always tricky to choose something if you're not 100% sure.

So any feedback on this would be appreciated.:happy:

In case I posted this in the wrong section, my sincere apologies.
If I was buying online then I would see it as a little bit of a gamble and I wouldnt spend a lot.

IMO there ae 3 reasons why to buy an expensive English willow bat and depending on the individual they may be important or not.

1) You are a top quality player and want the best available
2) You care what people think of your bat and bat fashion means something to you.
3) Money isnt an issue.

Engish willow bats are better than the equiv Kashmir bat but often, IMO, not big enough to justify the price difference (unless one of the above reasons are a big deal).

If I was gambling with an online purchase Id look for a mid-high level Kashmir willow bat from a funky Asian manufacturer that has good reviews.

Chances are you will get a decent bat for little money and if it is crap then you can use it for firewood.

I wouldnt spend a lot of money on a bat unless I was visiting the factory.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would never even consider buying a Kashmir Willow bat for anything other than firewood TBH.
I'd rather have a G2 or maybe G3 EW bat.

Most people will go to a shop pick up a few bats, have a feel and then tap a couple with a mallet to see what the rebound qualitites are.

It does very much depend on your price range though.
I know somebody who will make you a G1 for £120 + P&P. Might be slightly more than £120, and I have no idea of postage to Belgium so would not know of the final cost.
Custom made would probably be your best bet, ordering offline is a gamble, I bought my first bat online, I was only given the option of what grade willow and light, normal or heavy, opted for light and was given a 2lb 8 bat. It went like a gun so it worked out, however, I have known people to receive absolute duds from ordering online.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Well my first bat, was a freebee was a Kashmir bat.
I love that bat, a bit to small but so light and ideal for my girlfriend to play with.

My first bat I bought was an Kookaburra sub ice 30, paid like 40 EUR for it, long life the mighty EUR :laugh: and summer clearance

I just asked cause my friend lost his and he really wants to have a new one, altho he sucks in it, and he was thinking of buying it online.

Myself was thinking of buying a slightly bigger bat in the (near) future if the Kookaburra has fullfilled his duty.

Thnx for the info guys

CricketSchool

Cricket Spectator
Kashmir vs English willow

kashmir willow bats are usually heavy more dense...and do not give the ping of english willow bats.

english willow is lighter and the ball bounces off them better....

so to summarise ...english willow is best - because

a)they are lighter - means u can hit the ball to more areas - oppo captains hate that!

b) the ball goes off them faster.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Thnx mate, but my question actually was : as a beginner, how can you choose/ buy a decent bat online if you don't know how it feels? The cricket store has all the good brands in their offer and I agree that English willow feels and play better imo, the price will also play a big difference in quality, maybe searching for some feedback, but at the end I reckon a beginner should go to the store and just try it.
I paid 40 EUR for my bat and because the bat feels and plays very well I'm happy with that investment.

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I bought a kooka from cricket direct online but I never got it...I had to go all the way to london from botswana just to get it...

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Oh that's sad to hear, but as Belgium is only a 2,5 hour trainride to London I might buy it when I go over this summer.
Altho my current bat is still ok.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Do NOT go to CricketDirect, they're an awful, awful company. Generally over-priced, pretty poor customer service, awful delivery. There are far better sites. Owzat-Cricket, CricketSupplies, Morrant Sports, Barrington Sports, all companies I've used in the past and highly reccommend them all. *********.co.uk are good as well, they're probably one of the cheapest sites I've found, for example the new Adidas Mid III's range from £80 to £90 on most sites, they're £70 on *********, awesome stuff.

I wouldn't worry too much about buying a bat online. I bought my GN Icon from Morrant Sports and got a fantastic piece of willow. I just read a few reviews online, and made sure it fitted my style of play, and have not been disappointed. Just so long as you read the description which normally describes the pick-up etc, you should be fine.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Noticed some funky things today, in some oversea shops they sell certain bats as English willow but after having a look on the web and bumping on exactly the same bats it seems those bats are made of Kashmir Willow.

Next time when I need a new bat I will do some marketresearch first. :-)

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I am also looking for a bat. I usually open the innings. I am not a slogger but more of a stroke maker.My best shots are the pull and hook. What bat profile should I be looking for? Should I get one with thick or thin edges? Bowed or straight blade? Heavy or light?

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Well, like our friend : " the keeper" suggested I would recommand you to try some bats, have them in your hands and see which one suits you the most