• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Build-up to Indian Domestic Season 2008-09

adharcric

International Coach
Vijay's case is truly puzzling - the selectors definitely rate him above Uthappa and Mukund, he's not busy with the one-day squad and he doesn't appear to be injured either. More questions. Where is RP Singh? How did Parminder Singh make it ahead of Bist and Fazal - surely, he can't be playing as an all-rounder? India's cricket administration really pisses the **** out of me sometimes. Actually, quite often.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Is there any footage of Parmar's action online? More importantly, is anyone broadcasting the Duleep Trophy matches outside of India (online)?
I have seen Parmar throwing (more or less) in the Challenger series. He's got a very Murali-esque action, but that's likely to get him into more than a little trouble.
adharcric said:
How the **** are South Zone 106 for 6 against this attack? Better be a green-top.
Also, why is Vijay not in the squad????????

And what is Arjun Yadav doing there...
That answers itself. How on earth Shivlal Yadav's son still plays is beyond us. This is one reason why I don't support Hyderabad. They need to take one out of the Karnataka manual and get rid of this liability, like Karnataka did Roger Binny Jr and Brijesh Patel Jr, or how Delhi kept out Madan Lal Jr and Mumbai, Sunil Gavaskar Jr. Seeing this star-son ahead of Vinay Kumar and Yo Mahesh is baffling. At least those two take wickets- this one can't even do that!
Vijay's case is truly puzzling - the selectors definitely rate him above Uthappa and Mukund, he's not busy with the one-day squad and he doesn't appear to be injured either. More questions. Where is RP Singh? How did Parminder Singh make it ahead of Bist and Fazal - surely, he can't be playing as an all-rounder? India's cricket administration really pisses the **** out of me sometimes. Actually, quite often.
I don't really know. Maybe they impulsively chose Mukund because of a single score over 300, which Vijay hasn't made.

We don't know what's the matter with RP Singh- he may not be fully fit, and was looking completely out of sorts in the Ranji final. This is not the RP Singh we know, and he needed a break. Parminder Singh was in because of the weight of runs he scored for UP in crunch situations- and hopefully we won't see his dreadfully innocuous left-arm spin (or slow seam-up) here. Moreover, Fazal is an opener, while Bist is a wicketkeeper- both these slots are claimed by the more illustrious Ojha and the other UP opener.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
South Zone are saved by Dinesh Karthik, who scored a very fast 153 with four sixes, with some support from Ashwin and Suresh, the spinners. Those two should be batting above Shivlal Yadav Jr next time. Someone named Umesh Yadav from Vidharba (a lesser Central team) took five wickets. Karthik was severe on the spinners, particularly Chawla, hit out of the attack after four overs, while he also got after Murali Kartik, who went for nearly six an over.

This match isn't being shown on NEO, maybe because we'll only get to see the North/West matches.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
South drop four catches that allowed Central to reach 326. They missed a third seamer, and would have been a lot worse off had it not been for Uthappa's two wickets. KAif played a splendid innings, but we wonder how many chances Naman Ojha got. Balaji, however, got out tailender Umesh Yadav for no score, snuffing out any chance of a first-innings lead for Central.

adharcric

International Coach
Oh dear, Badrinath falling cheaply to Pankaj Singh ... Rohit Sharma may just have taken the lead in the race for New Zealand.

EDIT: That's right Manee, it was Pankaj not Parvinder. Cricinfo lied the first time around. Guess that makes it a bit more tolerable but Badrinath continues to falter when he's on the cusp of an opportunity. Fortunately, South Zone are the favorites to advance at this point so Badrinath and Sreesanth may get another chance.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh dear, Mukund and Badrinath falling cheaply to Parvinder Singh of all people ... Rohit Sharma may just have taken the lead in the race for New Zealand.
Are you sure it is not Pankaj Singh, the Rajasthan medium pacer?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
This could be when Badrinath's comments last year come back to bite him in the ass. Doesn't look good when you question your selectors and then go on to string together a bunch of poor scores.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
What's your opinion of Bhuvneshwar Kumar? He's now in demand in the IPL auctions to be held, and Deccan Chargers are particularly interested in buying a place for him. Not a good idea, because his bowling isn't that good to support an already wafer-thin attack. He'd be more useful in KKR or Delhi- his bowling is limited and lacks strike power, and his batting has to improve to top-six quality. Far from an India call-up, though; the Indians need to reclaim their existing (and discarded) all-rounders instead.

Precambrian

Banned
What's your opinion of Bhuvneshwar Kumar? He's now in demand in the IPL auctions to be held, and Deccan Chargers are particularly interested in buying a place for him. Not a good idea, because his bowling isn't that good to support an already wafer-thin attack. He'd be more useful in KKR or Delhi- his bowling is limited and lacks strike power, and his batting has to improve to top-six quality. Far from an India call-up, though; the Indians need to reclaim their existing (and discarded) all-rounders instead.
You have summed up my thoughts regarding him. I was impressed by his control and swing in the Ranji Final, where he flummoxed even Tendulkar into a clever trap. He needs to work his pace a bit, to the 130s to be anywhere near test class. His batting was a surprise.

D Karthik is having a dream match. 100s in both innings and in crucial circumstances. Glad to see Dravid get some runs.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
South Zone are all out for 377. Pankaj Singh puts up an inspired bowling performance, taking five for 90 to finish off the innings. Chawla, though, is still wicketless and leaking too many runs.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Central Zone are 255/9 with Uthappa (3) and Suresh (6) sharing the wickets. South Zone have picked up the first innings lead and so whether they can take the last wicket is not really important, but it shows a strong all round bowling unit amongst the well reputed batting line up. I never knew Uthappa was a bowler and it seems he does not bowl much in professional cricket. His wickets in this high level of competition will do his international chances some favours, certainly. Balaji only bowled 5 overs, I hope to God that he is not injured again.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
It seems Dinesh Karthik, acting skipper in VVS Laxman's absence due to some injury, had Central on the mat with nine wickets down, with nine overs and two Uthappa deliveries left, and guess what- he calls off his team to declare the Central innings and walk off on a first-innings lead. This is a sad development, even as Laxman, Tendulkar and Kaif are pitching for five-day matches in Ranji and Duleep knockouts. Here, they had a chance to wrap up a match in the fourth day itself, and they didn't take it.

The Central Zone team wasn't as bad as the match showed. They missed stars such as Raina, RP Singh and Praveen Kumar, but Kaif continued his sublime form, but losing wickets to Uthappa was a huge disappointment. Likewise the South Zone lineup are not that great, and we won't expect Uthappa to bowl or Shivlal Yadav Jr to play a meaningful innings against a stronger opposition.

brockley

International Captain
Zimbabwe to play duleep trophy next season.
Will play in the indian domestic oneday series this year think its the deoheder cup,excuse me if my spelling is wrong.8-)