• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Build-up to Indian Domestic Season 2008-09

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ajinkya Rahane finishes off Punjab and in the process brings the FC average up to 67.41 after 2090 runs, absolutely top effort so far.

EDIT: The doosra Murali takes 12 in his match - seems like quite the talent.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Looking ahead to the Duleep Trophy, should the big names (Sehwag, Tendulkar, Zaheer, etc.) be included in the squads if available? Consider the West Zone squad for a moment: based on the Ranji Trophy, the likes of Kulkarni, Trivedi, Parmar and Pathan should be automatic selections in the side. However, if you include the big names, Kulkarni and Trivedi would probably make way for Zaheer and Munaf. In my opinion, that would be an absolute joke; we already know what the big names are capable of and it's the domestic standouts that we need to see in this high-standard competition. That said, some may suggest that these guys should play for match practice and to raise the standard of the competition. Now, should the Duleep Trophy be a showcase of the best cricketers in the nation or (a reward for) the best performers in domestic cricket?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking ahead to the Duleep Trophy, should the big names (Sehwag, Tendulkar, Zaheer, etc.) be included in the squads if available?
Yes, yes, yes! If not, move the Duleep Trophy to make space!

That would be a lot more useful for a selection line than the brand-centric IPL and an otherwise barren domestic circuit.
Consider the West Zone squad for a moment: based on the Ranji Trophy, the likes of Kulkarni, Trivedi, Parmar and Pathan should be automatic selections in the side. However, if you include the big names, Kulkarni and Trivedi would probably make way for Zaheer and Munaf.
You'll have a top order of Rahane, Kedar Jadhav, Tendulkar, Rohit Sharma and Pujara, though the veterans Mazumdar and Jaffer should have a shout. You'll have Patel as a wicketkeeper, though on pure wicketkeeping, Mumbai's Samant is a better choice. Your best spinners will be Powar and Parmar, though Yusuf Pathan may be included as a run-scoring extra bowler for the XI. I'm not too convinced about Parmar; I'd say there's a different level of checking chucks at the international level and domestic level, and he was reported lately. The pace attack will have Zaheer, Munaf, Irfan and in reserve, Kulkarni and possibly Sid Trivedi for that extra spinner. Very neat.
In my opinion, that would be an absolute joke; we already know what the big names are capable of and it's the domestic standouts that we need to see in this high-standard competition.
I'd treat it differently. West are a powerhouse, and this is like an embarassment of riches. Then again, the duo of Kulkarni and Trivedi were not tested at all, and against top players, they may struggle. Moreover, Irfan Pathan has played just four matches and is just a little out of the top ten wicket-takers at eleven. Besides, the wickets tally also has Ravindra Jadeja, a middle-order batsman, in the top ten. That said, these two (Kulkarni and Trivedi) are developing nicely and deserve a fair try, but picking some uninspiring veterans (guess the names) merely to fill spaces has to end.
Now, should the Duleep Trophy be a showcase of the best cricketers in the nation or (a reward for) the best performers in domestic cricket?
It should be a showcase of the best cricketers in the nation. Making a Zonal team has to be tough. That's what adds value to the event. All fifteen players in each squad should be India-ready. The big disappointment is that Ganguly has stepped out, and that will weaken East Zone a lot.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
In that vein, East Zone will get gobbled up. Ganguly has retired, and besides him, we don't see too many effective batsmen out there. Except Bengal, they've mostly got weak batting sides. We'll have SS Das, Arindam Das, Manoj Tiwary, Dhoni and LR Shukla among their top batsmen, and that's not much, is it? Even the bowling attack of Bose, the Mohantys, Lahiri and maybe Lodhgar doesn't look very strong, and may be outdated. We may have Dhoni batting as high as three or four there, though they can throw up some surprises- this is, after all, cricket, not Formula One.

Should Dhoni shift to Bengal? He's getting absolutely nothing by batting for Jharkhand in Plate, and that team doesn't look like getting into the Super League- they were beaten to it by Bengal. You have a premier player from India playing for a weak team- not very ideal, is it?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The queue of openers at North doesn't end. You now have the regulars Sehwag and Gambhir, their reserves Chopra and Dhawan, and now there's Punjab's Sunny Sohal in the mix. You can have a top five of openers! Of course, one has to make way for Yuvraj Singh.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It is SUCH a shame that this is reduced to a knockout competition, there is going to be an extremely high level of competition in quite a few of the teams.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
quarterfinal being televised.. anyone watching TN vs Bengal? Tiwary and Saha seem to be getting amongst the runs on a flat track..

G.I.Joe

International Coach
In that vein, East Zone will get gobbled up. Ganguly has retired, and besides him, we don't see too many effective batsmen out there. Except Bengal, they've mostly got weak batting sides. We'll have SS Das, Arindam Das, Manoj Tiwary, Dhoni and LR Shukla among their top batsmen, and that's not much, is it? Even the bowling attack of Bose, the Mohantys, Lahiri and maybe Lodhgar doesn't look very strong, and may be outdated. We may have Dhoni batting as high as three or four there, though they can throw up some surprises- this is, after all, cricket, not Formula One.

Should Dhoni shift to Bengal? He's getting absolutely nothing by batting for Jharkhand in Plate, and that team doesn't look like getting into the Super League- they were beaten to it by Bengal. You have a premier player from India playing for a weak team- not very ideal, is it?
Nah, move to TN, imo. After Ganguly's retirement, Dhoni moving to Bengal would be the same situation as playing for Jharkhand - one India player in a team of mediocre ones.

adharcric

International Coach
quarterfinal being televised.. anyone watching TN vs Bengal? Tiwary and Saha seem to be getting amongst the runs on a flat track..
I'm not sure if it's a flat track or just a **** TN attack - I don't think any of the 3 seamers is capable of hitting 130 ks and I'd certainly hope a national prospect like Tiwary doesn't get out to such bowlers. That said, I'm looking forward to Bose and Dinda charging in against a respectable lineup that includes Vijay, Mukund and Badrinath.

EDIT: Going by the match report on Cricinfo, it apparently was a flat pitch. Nevertheless, I maintain that TN have a **** pace attack. :p

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Nah, move to TN, imo. After Ganguly's retirement, Dhoni moving to Bengal would be the same situation as playing for Jharkhand - one India player in a team of mediocre ones.
Doesn't really matter, Dhoni's gotten to a point where he won't be playing domestic cricket apart from the Challenger Trophy and occasionally zonal tournaments. Let's see what he decides if he ever gets dropped and has to stake a claim through the domestic circuit.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure if it's a flat track or just a **** TN attack - I don't think any of the 3 seamers is capable of hitting 130 ks and I'd certainly hope a national prospect like Tiwary doesn't get out to such bowlers. That said, I'm looking forward to Bose and Dinda charging in against a respectable lineup that includes Vijay, Mukund and Badrinath.
It is a joke when the seamers of a Super League team in the Quarter Final are not capable of touching 130kph, especially Balaji who was once an international prospect. He clearly has not rehabilitated well at all from his two stress fractures, or perhaps total rehab is not possible for such a horrendous injury. It really does cut our international talent pool significantly as we cannot consider anyone for Test contention if they can't bowl 130kph and we similarly, although slightly less so, in ODIs. It is a shame as it means we cannot pick our best domestic performers as a check on pace has to be made to see if their skills will convert to international level. I'll be interested to hear how Dinda's pace holds up in the longer form of the game and what actual pace Ranadeb Bose bowls after they took a look at him getting five wickets in England and said no.

Moving on to Uttar Pradesh Vs Gujarat, runs for Suresh Raina, who has never really be considered for Test contention despite a more impressive record than Rohit Sharma and more impressive recent form. Nayar's 6/45 skittles Himachal Pradesh for 250, who, looking at their team, seem horribly outmatched by pretty much all the other Quarter Finalists. Century for Uthappa, though many will discredit the entire game because him and his 'awful technique' have scored runs, but keep in mind that the next top score was Rahul Dravid with 26 (off just 86 balls). 5/71 for Ravindra Jadeja who may just be as good of an all round prospect as Piyush Chawla - hoping both can make the jump to international cricket as spinners who can bat to such a level as the hold a middle order spot on merit is a superb thing. Jadeja has been up at the top of the run scorers list, hitting 232* at the other end of Pujara's 300.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

EDIT: Going by the match report on Cricinfo, it apparently was a flat pitch. Nevertheless, I maintain that TN have a **** pace attack. :p
hey............

You know.. I would have a much better comeback if what you said weren't actually true... :(

adharcric

International Coach
Raina was a serious contender for the vacant position going into the England one-day series, probably ahead of Sharma and behind Badrinath, Vijay and Yuvraj. Of course, Yuvraj shined there, jumped to the forefront and made some valuable contributions in the test series. Based on their superb seasons, Pujara and Rahane are suddenly major contenders for the next opening and today's knock may be the beginning of Tiwary's return to the spotlight. India's batting reserves look very well-stocked at the moment. As for Jadeja, he's been a pleasant surprise with the ball as he was more of a bits-and-pieces cricketer before this season. Parmar is the other big name in the spin department while Chawla's stock has fallen quite a bit.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Surely you should have looked to play Yo Mahesh over Amarnath.
Unfortunately, Yo Mahesh has the pace but struggles to make an impact. TN's probably played their best attack and it's not such a poor one by domestic standards; the problem is that domestic pace standards are still quite pathetic.

adharcric

International Coach
Mumbai, Karnataka and UP are set to advance to the semi-finals. Balaji triggered a massive Bengal collapse and the TN openers are quickly on their way to the target. On that note, what on earth are Bengal doing? Dry up the runs even if it requires a negative line and don't offer up so many scoring opportunities - a draw here and Bengal advance with a first-innings lead. Am I missing something?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Mumbai, Karnataka and UP are set to advance to the semi-finals. Balaji triggered a massive Bengal collapse and the TN openers are quickly on their way to the target. On that note, what on earth are Bengal doing? Dry up the runs even if it requires a negative line and don't offer up so many scoring opportunities - a draw here and Bengal advance with a first-innings lead. Am I missing something?
Go TN!!!

Felt really bad that I had jinxed them!!! Badri, Vijay and Balaji proving their class when it really mattered..

And how good is Ashwin!!! The guy has a lot of potential.. Decent batsman, good fielder and does get his offberak to turn quite a bit. If only he can impart more consistency (he is a poor man's Krezja, atm) and try and develop a doosra...

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It is a massive shame to see the state of fast bowling in the Quarter Final between TN and Bengal.

For TN: Balaji, despite extremely impressive returns, is bowling strictly 120-128kph which is below Test pace and currently probably excludes him from Test consideration. Ganapathy and Amarnath were lucky to get any balls at 120kph.

For Bengal: I saw Bose bowl a little bit in the first innings at 125kph and then in the second innings at 115-120kph. It visibly appears as if he is sacrificing pace for accuracy as he does not complete the action with both arms. That is okay if the result is 130kph pace like Glenn Mcgrath but not if you are struggling to bowl any balls in a game at 130kph. Ashok Dinda looked good at 128-132kph; it is a good pace - shame he didn't actually bowl too well and is probably destined for massive injuries with that action.

On to the semi finals...

Mumbai Vs Saurashtra has got to be a Mumbai easy victory, especially with the introduction of Zaheer Khan and Sachin Tendulkar to the side. Heck, it has got to a point where pretty much anyone missing out to those two will consider themselves unlucky, due to the all round brilliance of Mumbai. Jadeja and Pujara surely cannot beat this Mumbai on their own.

TN Vs UP will be a tight one, imo. TN have strong batting, UP will have very strong bowling if they can get RP Singh into the side. TN probably have the edge with an onform Balaji with the batting line up all firing but never count out a Praveen Kumar special.

The lack of pace is cutting our fast bowling talent pool, leaving only a small slice. We need to reach a point where our best domestic performers can play Test cricket.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Here are my observations from the telecast of a really dull match between TN and Bengal:
  • TN has a very weak pace attack. That Amarnath got smashed all around in the IPL and lost his place quickly, and we got a hint why- he's small, slow (sub-120k very often) and can't hold a line and length. Ganapathy was a little better, but got very lucky.
  • It's good to see Balaji back in wicket-taking form. He's not outright quick, but gets very good movement, and more importantly, he's not reluctant to bowl first-change. He was a lot straighter in this match and kept it tight, though there were a few wide ones.
  • Ranadeb Bose is not a gentle medium-pacer, but a very aggressive one who tries to use variations and make the batsman play. Somehow, he got worn out a little too soon here, and like the rest of the pacers, struggled largely.
  • Dinda was a huge flop. He bowled off target and below full pace.
  • Ashwin was a controversial case here. He didn't bowl stump-to-stump very often, and even as Karthik set some very defensive fields, he was trying very hard to take wickets, and the Bengal batsmen got on top of him.
  • The other two spinners were hardly any good. It's shocking to see all-rounder Vidyut regress to this innocuous, less-than-ordinary (or even sub-Yuvraj) spin.
  • Tiwary batted very well in the first innings, and looks to have got the pull shot right. He was, however, bowling a lot of wides deliberately to deny Badrinath his century.
  • Badrinath again played a flawless innings. This time, though, it was after a long time.
  • Vijay's innings was remarkable. He took on the bowling attack nicely, ran hard and made quite an impact.
  • Both Karthik and Shukla were largely defensive captains.