• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

bruce taylor dies aged 77

Flem274*

123/5
nz bowling allrounder bruce taylor has passed away. he took 111 wickets @ 26 bowling from good height at right arm fast medium pace and averaged 20 with the bat, scoring 2 hundreds. he played 30 tests and is the only player to take 5fer and score a ton on debut, which he did against india at eden gardens.

as a lover of niche players, i always had a soft spot for bruce taylor, overshadowed as he was by a later bowling allrounder. it's a shame he played in the 60s and 70s where he had less opportunity than he would today. he was obviously a very good bowler and an aggressive lower order batsman. i think he walks into every nz test side ever, most on bowling alone.

rip

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I remember him from the 1973 tour of England. He didn't have a great tour but I expected to see him at the 75 World Cup and wondered why he wasn't there. In those days there was no way of finding out what had happened to him.

RIP

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes I remember him in '73, though past his best by then and didn't live up to expectations

His biography is due to be published in April - he had a few troubles after cricket, but by all accounts was a great character

jcas0167

International Debutant
I imagine he would have been an absolute gun in T20 too. His second test century was scored off 83 balls against the West Indies in 1969. That was the fastest test century by a New Zealander for 36 years.

A guy at my club in his 70's said he was a nice guy to play against. He could swing the ball both ways without much change in action.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Just recently when digging up stats found his 5 fer and the hundred mention. Have met him at basin couple of times. Lovely bloke and had great stories to tell.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
@Immenso where'd you get the two in colour? I haven't seen any colour Taylor since highlights of the 73 England series that had a lot of him were taken down about seven years ago.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
@Immenso where'd you get the two in colour? I haven't seen any colour Taylor since highlights of the 73 England series that had a lot of him were taken down about seven years ago.
@Starfighter
The first clip is from this montage at 24:14 in From Cloth Caps to Helmets:

The other - I don't know. I've already deleted the clips I took, to free up space. I even emptied the recycle bin.
I'm looking back.