• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brendan McCullum is a very good wicketkeeper...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
thierry henry said:
I find it frustrating that McCullum stands up to the stumps to Styris. I don't know that it does us any good. Styris bowls at about 130kph and he misses out on a LOT of caught behind dismissals that he would get if McCullum stood back.
I think using lot might be an overstatement.

There's also the question of if the batsman would play the same shot if he didn't have the keeper breathing down his neck.

thierry henry

International Coach
I don't think a lot is an understatement. I have personally seen many edges from Styris' bowling missed by McCullum. Many were of course almost impossible to catch standing up, but would have been chances standing back.

Maybe they wouldn't have played the same way if he was back, who knows.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, bearing in mind Styris has only bowled 170 overs or so with McCullum keeping - he must get far more edges no going to hand then most bowlers in history then.