• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Hogg as a test match option

inbox24

International Debutant
But MacGill is so much better in tests. I would pick both Hogg and MacGill if the pitch warranted but not Hogg as first choice unless MacGill was woefully out of sorts.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I have heard a few people say that Hogg's variations are a lot harder to pick (specifically the wrong'un) with the white ball, because the contrast between the colours of the seam and the ball aren't as distinctive as with the red ball, so batsmen find him a lot easier to pick in FC cricket.
Yeah, I posted something about Greg Blewett for one saying exactly that based upon his experience of playing/netting against Hogg, during one of the WC matches...

I think at the moment, looking at the contracted players as an indication of what the selectors are thinking, MacGill is the default selection. 40 tests and nearly 200 test wickets mean that he'll probably be given the benefit of the doubt regarding any lack of results in FC. That said, if he's ineffective, then Hogg could well get a go - particularly if Bailey and Cullen fail to impress in their FC outings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha.

Hogg > Bailey, Cullen et al... who'd have thought it just a couple of months ago... :-O

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't think so, TBH. I can't believe anyone was seriously pushing his case after he'd gone wicketless for 5 ODIs in a row, especially given that his selection would be almost bound to be considered "looking back not forward".

What a difference a World Cup makes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Apart from the fact that it wasn't universally accepted as such, just because he might have been better, doesn't mean he was more favoured for the spot as MacGill's first-reserve.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'd say it would've nearly been universal, considering neither Bailey or Cullen are proven performers in domestic circles yet Hogg had won a WC and taken plenty of ODI wickets.

Josh

International Regular
I've always rated Hogg quite highly as a bowler, and a lot of people looked at me as if I were an idiot. I'm demanding apologies from most of them.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apart from the fact that it wasn't universally accepted as such, just because he might have been better, doesn't mean he was more favoured for the spot as MacGill's first-reserve.
Yeah, but if Warne & Macgill had of been injured, it may have been a different story. The selectors would have been wary to use either of Cullen, Bailey, Hauritz, Casson, White, Heal, Doran or any other spinner in Australia you could think of in a test match as a lone spinner. They more likely would have gone with an extra paceman, if not call on Hogg.

In conjunction with Warne or MacGill (particularly Warne) is another story as shown in Bangladesh when Warne, MacGill and Cullen were used.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, Hauritz, Casson, White and Heal.

I'm probably speaking too much as a non-Aussie in this thread, TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, I know. But the notion that any are currently that good is a pretty bad one.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
All played more first class cricket than Hogg last season.
White played mainly as a batsman though - if he couldn't bat, even McGain would have been selected in front of him at Victoria IMO. Hogg didn't play much first class cricket because he was with the Australian team for a lot of the season. I don't want Hogg to ever see another test match by any stretch of the imagination, but the fact that Hauritz, Casson and White saw more FC than him is slightly misleading...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd say it would've nearly been universal, considering neither Bailey or Cullen are proven performers in domestic circles yet Hogg had won a WC and taken plenty of ODI wickets.
Agreed. Short term option, Hogg was more likely to be picked. Especially if the series was on the line, in a dead rubber - maybe not.

pasag

RTDAS
I've always rated Hogg quite highly as a bowler, and a lot of people looked at me as if I were an idiot. I'm demanding apologies from most of them.
Yeah same, he's always been massively underrated in ODI's until this WC where he's finally got the accolades he deserves.