• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling advise please

chez81

Cricket Spectator
I'm looking for some advise for my 13yr old son. He only started cricket 3 years ago, so still relatively new.

He was told he has a nice natural style, and initially took many wickets. Now he gets lots of advise, and the main one is that he drops his head down, which stop the wides (which are generally one an over), he must straighten his head. But since the coaching started this year I think he hasn't played as well, and is struggling at times plus now hasn't got many wickets at all, although his economy is ok.

Watching other bowlers, Jimmy Anderson for example, he also drops his head down. I wonder if my son already over-compensated for this, and now can't throw more accurately. I also think his run up is too long, not smoother enough, and looking at videos follow through too short.

Any advice?

Thanks

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
It's difficult to tell; my view is that making sure he's looking down the wicket even if his head is off to the side, but then that might be what you are already describing.
Another possibility is to see if he has space to simply practise his bowling action, release, etc. without interference. This might help improve his consistency without changing his action.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm looking for some advise for my 13yr old son. He only started cricket 3 years ago, so still relatively new.

He was told he has a nice natural style, and initially took many wickets. Now he gets lots of advise, and the main one is that he drops his head down, which stop the wides (which are generally one an over), he must straighten his head. But since the coaching started this year I think he hasn't played as well, and is struggling at times plus now hasn't got many wickets at all, although his economy is ok.

Watching other bowlers, Jimmy Anderson for example, he also drops his head down. I wonder if my son already over-compensated for this, and now can't throw more accurately. I also think his run up is too long, not smoother enough, and looking at videos follow through too short.

Any advice?

Thanks
Can’t say too much without seeing him bowl but bowling action starts with the front arm

Head dropping down early and abbreviated follow through are generally by product of falling away

Does his follow through take him off to the side or straightish down the pitch?

chez81

Cricket Spectator
Thank you both, very kind for your advise. I couldn't work out how to upload a video her small enough, so added it to our youtube channel. Just search Chezzie8 1977 youtube and the videos will come up. Will really appreciate your feedback, he's so keen to improve.

chez81

Cricket Spectator
Can’t say too much without seeing him bowl but bowling action starts with the front arm

Head dropping down early and abbreviated follow through are generally by product of falling away

Does his follow through take him off to the side or straightish down the pitch?
I've added some videos on youtube. He does fall away a bit, but we've been working on it. His follow through I think it too short, you can see that on one of the videos, normally to the side I think... he's playing tonight so I'll get some video head on during the match and add them to the you tube channel.

Thanks for your advise.

chez81

Cricket Spectator
It's difficult to tell; my view is that making sure he's looking down the wicket even if his head is off to the side, but then that might be what you are already describing.
Another possibility is to see if he has space to simply practise his bowling action, release, etc. without interference. This might help improve his consistency without changing his action.
Thanks for your advise, I've added a few videos on youtube channel if you look below. I think you're right, and that's the approach we're doing now, at least until the end of the season, without interference. He's sadly losing his confidence a bit which is a shame.

cnerd123

likes this
He's sadly losing his confidence a bit which is a shame.
This is why it is usually best not to get overly technical with bowling actions for young kids. Personally I'd only intervene if I felt the child's action put them at risk for injury long term, or if they are already struggling. If a kid has a few technical flaws but is generally bowling well and enjoying their cricket, I think it's best to leave them at it.

You can instead provide them with challenges in training or during games that force them to improve their skills on their own. Stuff like spot bowling, or challenging them to bowl no more than X wides in an over. This process can help them understand their own action better, and also works on their problem solving skills, which will go a long way throughout their career.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thanks for your advise, I've added a few videos on youtube channel if you look below. I think you're right, and that's the approach we're doing now, at least until the end of the season, without interference. He's sadly losing his confidence a bit which is a shame.
Looks ok to me. He seems to have a decent action as a starting point. There are a few things for him to work on, but the most important thing at the moment is that he enjoys himself. He doesn't have to have the perfect action right now.