• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boundary rule in cricket

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Currently, if any part of the fielder is over the boundary and they touch the ball, it’s a boundary.

Wouldn’t it make more sense for the rule to simply be if the ball goes on/over the line, it’s a boundary? Would be simpler to determine the majority of the time too.

Victor Ian

International Coach
My guess is because it is actually easier to judge it by the body. Definitely so, without cameras. Nearly all times, the players body will be between the ball and the umpire.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Currently, if any part of the fielder is over the boundary and they touch the ball, it’s a boundary.

Wouldn’t it make more sense for the rule to simply be if the ball goes on/over the line, it’s a boundary? Would be simpler to determine the majority of the time too.
Harder to determine if the ball is on/over the line than if a player is on/over the line (unless they use that goal tech thing from football but harder with cricket balls and boundaries vs football and 2 goals).

Reactions: vcs

Teja.

Global Moderator
Rohit can sleep over the boundary like kumbhakharna to halt the ball over a wide surface area.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Rohit can sleep over the boundary like kumbhakharna to halt the ball over a wide surface area.
Or we could open a vada pav stall on the other side of the boundary and he will come and save every ball from hitting the vada pavs. :p

Engle

State Vice-Captain
The playing area has to be determined. It is any part of the field within the boundary ropes. Thus, if a player steps beyond the boundary, they are outside the field of play.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Slightly tangential, but I felt Aussie grounds lost a bit of charm with rope boundaries than the old "ad boards boundaries". understand the need given the need for protection for fielders who dive to save etc.

Also the likes of Adelaide used to see all run fives. Interesting days.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All run 5s at adelaide? Isn't adelaide quite small? i feel like all run 5s would be more of an MCG thing

tony p

First Class Debutant
If we just had the fence as the boundary like in the old days, it wouldn't be an issue, but we need 37 replays to see if someone's fingernail or their shoelace as touched the rope in stopping a boundary or completing a catch.

I'm sure there would be more catches taken if the fence was back in vogue, but due to health and safety regulations, we can't have that.
I remember watching players lean on the fence and taking catches in the old days, as long as you were on the oval.