• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Botham wants Hussain out

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
PY said:
Can't help but think he'll be the one to go in place of Pieterson when that time comes.

Probably will if Pieterson performs in the ODI's first.

For me I'd love to see a middle order of:

Butcher
Thorpe
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff

That allows us Read at 8, 3 seamers, and no loss of spin option!

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Gees I don't like it when selectors or former players (like Botham) think that a player should step down from the side just because they are getting older. It always should be that if the player is out of form, then they shouldn't be in the side.

Hussain's 2004 Test Batting Record
4 Matches, 197 runs@ 32.83, SR: 34.38

They are not the best looking figures, but they also are not figures to justify Hussain's axing.

twctopcat

International Regular
marc71178 said:

Butcher
Thorpe
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff

Looks good, gives us a 18 months/2 years to start thinking of replacements for Butcher and Thorpe. I think i would prefer Strauss over Collingwood though, or maybe even Strauss opening in Tests, but then where does that leave tres?

Deja moo

International Captain
marc71178 said:

Butcher
Thorpe
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff

English spinners ! hmpphh!

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:

Butcher
Thorpe
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff

So Flintoff makes it as the 4th bowling option with part-time stuff from Collingwood and Pietersen?

Which one misses out as when you play in Asia, or Sydney or Adelaide or any spinning wickets, Giles, even though I dont rate him that highly, does justify a spot there.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
So Flintoff makes it as the 4th bowling option with part-time stuff from Collingwood and Pietersen?
Spot on except its the 3rd option IMO.

Craig said:
Which one misses out as when you play in Asia, or Sydney or Adelaide or any spinning wickets, Giles, even though I dont rate him that highly, does justify a spot there.

Jones would IMO (Hoggard, Harmo and Fred)

If necessary for 2, drop Hoggard.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
twctopcat said:
Looks good, gives us a 18 months/2 years to start thinking of replacements for Butcher and Thorpe. I think i would prefer Strauss over Collingwood though, or maybe even Strauss opening in Tests, but then where does that leave tres?
Carrying drinks?

Either way round, Strauss, Pietersen and Collingwood seem to be the next three for the middle order.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Spot on except its the 3rd option IMO.
So the side looks like:

Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
Thorpe
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Read
Jones
Harmison
Hoggard

?

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:

Butcher
Thorpe
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff

read in tests?if 11 failures with the bat arent enough.....so he played well in the odi series but that doesnt say much at all...his technique was completely out of sorts and his power hitting aint going to do much for him at the test arena. he just makes our tail look long, even at no 8.

tooextracool

International Coach
twctopcat said:
it leaves him in somerset, where he should be.

tooextracool

International Coach
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Gees I don't like it when selectors or former players (like Botham) think that a player should step down from the side just because they are getting older. It always should be that if the player is out of form, then they shouldn't be in the side.

Hussain's 2004 Test Batting Record
4 Matches, 197 runs@ 32.83, SR: 34.38

They are not the best looking figures, but they also are not figures to justify Hussain's axing.
would you rather have a brand new untested and inexperienced middle order instead then? the thing is that strauss and collingwood are probably better players than hussain and they are missing out on the best years of their career.

twctopcat

International Regular
tooextracool said:
it leaves him in somerset, where he should be.
Pretty unanimous decision it seems to me.
As for chris read, with his power play, he's obviously the next adam gilchrist, with the power to destroy tired bowling attacks all over the world, 8-)

tooextracool

International Coach
twctopcat said:
As for chris read, with his power play, he's obviously the next adam gilchrist, with the power to destroy tired bowling attacks all over the world, 8-)
yep an adam gilchrist minus the technique in which case he ends up being a "chris gayle".

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
read in tests?if 11 failures with the bat arent enough.....

Oh excuse me, I thought that the primary purpose of a wicket keeper was to keep wicket?

If not, why not give Trescothick the gloves in the Tests and play an extra batsman?

Read at 7 was alway 1 place too high - a point often made.

Read at 8 (in place of Giles) loses nothing with the bat, but does improve the number 6 and 7 spots (with an extra batsman - Pietersen?), and the wicket-keeper slot whilst not really weakening the effectiveness of the spin attack.

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
tooextracool said:
yep an adam gilchrist minus the technique in which case he ends up being a "chris gayle".
Gilchrist actually has a pretty poor technique. He has been lucky in the sense that he has played on a plethora of flat wickets and faced some very average bowlers.

If he played in the 1980's or even the early to mid 90's he would have averaged no more than 35 I wager.

twctopcat

International Regular
EnglishRose said:
Gilchrist actually has a pretty poor technique. He has been lucky in the sense that he has played on a plethora of flat wickets and faced some very average bowlers.

If he played in the 1980's or even the early to mid 90's he would have averaged no more than 35 I wager.
That one should provoke a good bit of response. I think he bats so well because of usually coming in at 400/5, makes life a lot easier!

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Who has such a shocking record...
averaging 35 is not something to be proud off especially considering the flatness of wickets these days.and gayle has a much better eye than chris read and is a much more powerful player. not that im justifying that gayle deserves a place in the side though.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Oh excuse me, I thought that the primary purpose of a wicket keeper was to keep wicket?

If not, why not give Trescothick the gloves in the Tests and play an extra batsman?

Read at 7 was alway 1 place too high - a point often made.

Read at 8 (in place of Giles) loses nothing with the bat, but does improve the number 6 and 7 spots (with an extra batsman - Pietersen?), and the wicket-keeper slot whilst not really weakening the effectiveness of the spin attack.
and what has jones done wrong that he doesnt deserve a place in this side?hes been just about as exceptional behind the wickets as read has and has impressed with the bat too.
and recent performances show that giles has been a much better batsman than read so clearly we are losing out on something....our tail is getting longer!