• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better Test bowler: Anderson vs Willis.

James Anderson or Bob Willis in Tests?

• Anderson

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • Willis

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty sure Willis averages like 28 or something if you include all the no balls.
And where is that list of no balls? Does this mean Lillee’s average becomes 26+? Can I change any averages based on rules brought in after a player’s career ended?

See also: back foot no ball rule.
Happened in 1963, not relevant for Willis’ career is it?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Instinctively I feel like Anderson is much better than Willis and Philander et al but clearly worse than Pollock and Walsh. I'd group him with Statham but not sure who else. Southee has an outside chance I suppose.

SillyCowCorner1

Instinctively I feel like Anderson is much better than Willis and Philander et al but clearly worse than Pollock and Walsh. I'd group him with Statham but not sure who else. Southee has an outside chance I suppose.
A Pakistani bowler, probably.

Waqar?

trundler

Well, I guess my other choice would be (if he would not have done all the **** that he did) …Mohammad Asif.

Still light years ahead of Jimmy though (in his prime)
Yeah see you'd have to make a reach and go with some guy based on potential. I think Snow was a fantastic bowler but unfortunately just didn't play enough for non cricketing reasons. A damn shame too. Bedser comes across as a rough equivalent but he played about a decade in all and had more limitations. Stupid workload though, that's gotta count for something.

Johan

U19 12th Man
Beyond a certain point I personally only really find longevity useful for differentiating between players where they are very close or equal in all other factors. No doubt Anderson’s peak has been great, but it doesn’t mean I should ignore the period outside of that (his first 10 years) were he was average at best at home and exceedingly mediocre overseas.

Even considering his work over the last 8 years, he still averages well above 30 in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa (notoriously helpful bowling countries) and Sri Lanka, barely under 30 in India. Comparing to Willis, who averaged below 30 everywhere except the West Indies, and below 25 except Australia and Pakistan.
I am not implying that we should just ignore 10 years or so of his career , that'd be ridiculous , just that he has had a monstrous peak

regarding averages , I am skeptical , are you saying those are his career general averages or that he has been averaging 30+ in those nations in the 2014-2022 , or hell 2011-2022 timeframe that I gave for him?

among pace bowlers since 2011 - https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...1;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

in Last 11 years its 30 in Aus and SA , 31 in NZ , 29 in Nz , 23 in Sl and 20 in Wi/UAE respectively

anderson's own - https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...1;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

Yeah see you'd have to make a reach and go with some guy based on potential. I think Snow was a fantastic bowler but unfortunately just didn't play enough for non cricketing reasons. A damn shame too. Bedser comes across as a rough equivalent but he played about a decade in all and had more limitations. Stupid workload though, that's gotta count for something.
They will continue to be in lore.

Bedser always interests me.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I am not implying that we should just ignore 10 years or so of his career , that'd be ridiculous , just that he has had a monstrous peak

regarding averages , I am skeptical , are you saying those are his career general averages or that he has been averaging 30+ in those nations in the 2014-2022 , or hell 2011-2022 timeframe that I gave for him?

among pace bowlers since 2011 - https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...1;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

in Last 11 years its 30 in Aus and SA , 31 in NZ , 29 in Nz , 23 in Sl and 20 in Wi/UAE respectively

anderson's own - https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...1;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling
Career averages, despite his recent stats.