• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better Batsman - Jadeja or Imran?

Better Bat?

• Total voters

ataraxia

International Coach
Botham's crap 🎡
Lillee's trash 🎡
Your whole life's a lie π„ž
Just because they were in colour 🎡
Doesn't mean their stats don't mattuh 🎡
Your schoolboy apprehensions: they really must die π„ž
Face it: whether or not Ian had abilities 🎡
He certainly didn't have good abilities 🎡
encore – With Jay Shah and the IPL 🎢
Mumbai Indians New York will make you take the L 🎢
I'm sorry but the end to this Ashes bias is nigh π„ž 🎢 🎡 🎡 π„ž

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Botham's crap 🎡
Lillee's trash 🎡
Your whole life's a lie π„ž
Just because they were in colour 🎡
Doesn't mean their stats don't mattuh 🎡
Your schoolboy apprehensions: they really must die π„ž
Face it: whether or not Ian had abilities 🎡
He certainly didn't have good abilities 🎡
encore – With Jay Shah and the IPL 🎢
Mumbai Indians New York will make you take the L 🎢
I'm sorry but the end to this Ashes bias is nigh π„ž 🎢 🎡 🎡 π„ž
Botham there is great fame of him.
But ataraxia nobody even knows name of him.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
IIRC that was the time you described a hundred Imran made in a drawn test vs India that took Pakistan from 250-7 to 450 as "downhill skiing" and were rightly laughed at.
I'm here depending Imran and still can't win.

250 -7 isn't exactly chaos and there were 4 hundreds scored in the innings.

subshakerz

International Coach
Because it's really close and I genuinely don't know. I came into this having Imran slightly ahead, but I'm honestly listening to the arguments.
It's ok, you can vote for Jadeja until you feel you have no other conceivable choice and then withdraw your vote. We won't judge.

Majestic

U19 Debutant
It's pretty close.

Both are deserving of a 33-34 averaging bat, that's about it so they have inflated stats by not outs and had luxury of playing in strong teams.

I think if we assume all factors same and playing in same era then Jadeja is probably 33(as of now) while Imran is 34 average player. Botham would be 36 and Stokes 37. Kapil would be 33 too but his SR would be higher so he can be rated slightly better bat than both Imran and Jaddu( and that's a pretty big debate in itself).

Jadeja has 4 hundreds in 71 tests while Imran had 6 in 88 tests and Jadeja has a few more fifties than Imran so it's pretty even in my opinion but Jadeja can go past him with a test hundred in Australia later this year because Imran's batting stats went north only in his final 15 tests when he barely bowled otherwise he was a 31-32 averaging bat after 71 tests. In that regard, Jaddu can claim to go past him with a couple more of vital knocks overseas with bat.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So he scored 1 half century with no hundreds in his first 25 tests (42 innings) and you have exactly taken out that part.
Yes because I specified batting peak. Maybe you missed that.

This is Jadeja's btw.

He wasn't that good with the ball in his first 25 tests too (averaged 32), so the "his batting and bowling peaks didn't coincide" thing is definitely exaggerated. His batting numbers are decent even without his last few years.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Yes because I specified batting peak. Maybe you missed that.

This is Jadeja's btw.

Jadeja's is classic cherry picking as well. When you talk about the peak of a great cricketer, there has to be some substance outside the peak as well.

Like Ponting's from 2001-2007 or Sachin's from 1993-2011. It is fair to rate Imran's bowling peak too from 1980-88. For all these examples, there are enough good performances outside this "peak" period. Imran was a nothing batsman for the entirety of 70s (granted that he debuted very young).

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
He wasn't that good with the ball in his first 25 tests too (averaged 32), so the "his batting and bowling peaks didn't coincide" thing is definitely exaggerated. His batting numbers are decent even without his last few years.
This is something I agree too. There are enough instances of him showing up with the bat and the ball in the same series and sometimes same match. He was great with the ball and solid with the bat in the 82 Eng series for instance. Similarly in the India series post that where he scored a hundred and took a bucketful of wickets in the same match.

Just that taking out all rubbish performances isn't the right way to rate a peak imo.